× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 OpenVPN Server Help

lgfz71
Aspirant

XR500 OpenVPN Server Help

Hello,

I recently bought a new XR500 (Nighthawk AC3200 died) and I'm trying to configure OpenVPN on it. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to OpenVPN as I've had no need to configure this until now. However, I'm having some issues with my VPN client unable to see my LAN devices.

Here's an image of my network:
https://imgur.com/a/elPJ2Yp

A written version:
I have an outward facing AT&T router/modem (fiber connection) with IP passthrough (DMZ Plus) disabled. Behind that sits my XR500 which hosts the OpenVPN server. I've configured the OpenVPN server (limited configuration) to allow clients to access LAN devices and internet and have opened port 1194 on both the outward facing router and my XR500.

My XR500's subnet is 192.168.1.0/255
OpenVPN assigns IP addresses from the 192.168.2.0/255 subnet.
VPN connections from iOS devices are always successful but I cannot see any other LAN device aside from my Synology NAS via a browser at 192.168.1.8:5000. I should note that my Synology is hardwired to my XR500. I would assume this is a limitation on iOS from the research I have done (tun vs tap). The goal here is to be able to use my iPad to a connect to my home network and RDP with my local computers.

Here's the ovpn file my iOS devices use:

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote xxx.mynetgear.com  12973
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
<ca>
</ca>
<cert>
</cert>
<key>
</key>
cipher AES-128-CBC
comp-lzo
verb 5

Is there any additional configuration options I need to apply to be able to see my other LAN devices? I've already attempted to enable IP passthrough on my AT&T router and place my XR500 in the DMZ Plus. This seems to cause additional non-related issues such as SSH broken pipes and doesn't resolve the underlying issue I'm trying to solve.

Alternatively, I have also tried to setup OpenVPN via the VPN Service on my Synology which has yielded the same results.

Perhaps someone has achieved this desired configuration with a similar network setup.

Thanks in advance.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 1
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7