× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 - PS4 Connection better with ISPs modem/router then XR500

blackbit7
Aspirant

XR500 - PS4 Connection better with ISPs modem/router then XR500

Hello, my PS4 is connect via ethernet to my XR500. However when I put my modem the ISP provides into bridge mode and use the XR500 ethernet to my PS4 my connection seems slower. Speedtests through the ethernet from modem (ISP given) or XR500 is identical on my computer. But in game you can notice that my connection through modem (ISP given) bullets just connect better (talking about call of duty) and in game ping generally seems lower and more stable.

The fastest speed and most stable I've seem to get is when I use my modem (ISP) as a router as well and just put my TVs and PS4 on it then use the XR500 for all wireless activity and set buffer bloat to 50% and just limit all the wifi devices. However, I'm aware this isnt a very good proper setup and I would like to use my XR500 for my PS4 as it is gaming router and is suppose to be better.

Any help appreciated thanks!

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi there,

First of all, worth just clarifying the word 'speed'. Speeds can mean your bandwidth speed (how much data you can download or upload a second). But it can also mean your ping, which in gaming, is how fast your data is sent from you to the game's host (and then back again).

I don't think setting the modem to bridge mode would have affected your ping in game. But there's certainly quite a lot you can to give you better hit reg etc. Follow both of these guides and you should be all setup to get the best CoD connection:

Geo-Filter Optimal Settings: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077072-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-geo-...

QoS Optimal Settings: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-qos

Message 2 of 5
blackbit7
Aspirant

I can't use geo filter because i'm playing competitive and we have to connect to whoever is hosting. I have QoS set up but notice 0 difference. I for sure get a higher in game ping and lower registration with using the XR500 then compared to just using my ISPs modem/router. I have no idea why I have tried everything I can think of. If I ask my ISP for a wired modem can that make a difference? The only thing I notice the XR500 does really well if when your on WiFi even gaming is good. But ethernet from XR500 or using ISP Modem/router the ISP wins by far in real world gaming. I'm generally confused.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Message 4 of 5
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

You certainly shouldn't see any worse experience if playing wired when comparing your modem to your XR500.

Have you tried switching out your Ethernet cables? Could it just be coincidence (you had a bad host when playing wired on the XR500)?

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7