× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500, PS4 Pro, Ethernet, and ESO

chiefsoap
Guide

XR500, PS4 Pro, Ethernet, and ESO

This can very well be an ESO (Elder Scrolls Online) problem and their potato servers but sometimes I feel like it's a router issue because my wife and I will disconnect around the same time while other people we play with do not. I'm using a PS4 Pro w/ ethernet, she's using a regular PS4 w/ ethernet. We use 1Gb Google Fiber. We will both lose connection anytime there is a large amount of stuff going on, like in Cyrodiil (if you're familar with it) during a large siege. I'll provide any requested information later today or tomorrow when I get home. Thanks in advance

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 17
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi there,

A  couple of questions to help find the problem:

1. Can you make sure you have installed the latest firmware as older firmware did cause some disconnections for some users: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#Firmware%20Version%202.3.2.32
  2. Does your entire network go down when you have the drops? Or is just the PS4 pro. For example, if you use your phone on WiFi at the time the game drops out, do you still have Internet on the WiFi?

Thanks.

Message 2 of 17
chiefsoap
Guide

@Netduma_Jack wrote:

Hi there,

A  couple of questions to help find the problem:

1. Can you make sure you have installed the latest firmware as older firmware did cause some disconnections for some users: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#Firmware%20Version%202.3.2.32
  2. Does your entire network go down when you have the drops? Or is just the PS4 pro. For example, if you use your phone on WiFi at the time the game drops out, do you still have Internet on the WiFi?

Thanks.

1. I believe so, is this separate from the OTA update I was prompted to apply a week or so ago?

2. No it does't. Both playstations go down about the same time. I'm able to surf the web on my phone and what not

Message 3 of 17
XRaptor29
Luminary

Maybe a PlayStation Network issue or Google fiber?

My wife and I are on Xbox and don't have this issue, the most we face is a lot of lag from loading into heavily populated areas.

Are you by chance still using the Google Fiber router they provide and is it set to bridge mode? Also try reserving the console IP addresses on the XR500.
Message 4 of 17
chiefsoap
Guide

@XRaptor29 wrote:
Maybe a PlayStation Network issue or Google fiber?

My wife and I are on Xbox and don't have this issue, the most we face is a lot of lag from loading into heavily populated areas.

Are you by chance still using the Google Fiber router they provide and is it set to bridge mode? Also try reserving the console IP addresses on the XR500.

Yes I am still using the Google Fiber box and its essentially set to bridge mode. Their modems/routers don't have a true bridge mode, best I can do is assign the router a static IP, add it to DMZ, and disable WiFi on the Google box.

Message 5 of 17
XRaptor29
Luminary

Are the PS4's hardwired? I've heard multiple consoles over wifi a lot of routers struggle with port management.
Message 6 of 17
chiefsoap
Guide

@XRaptor29 wrote:
Are the PS4's hardwired? I've heard multiple consoles over wifi a lot of routers struggle with port management.

Yes its hard wired, CAT6

Message 7 of 17
XRaptor29
Luminary

Have you tried putting both consoles in spectating mode in Geo-filter. Zenimax has the ESO servers sitting in Dallas, TX and depending how large you have your Geo Filter radius it might be cutting out where the servers are.
Message 8 of 17
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

That's a good question from Raptor - do you have your Geo-filter enabled in Filtering Mode? I assume not, but if so this could be a problem. You don't really need it in filtering mode for a game like ESO, so i'd recommend putting it to Spectating Mode.

However, I suspect that's unlikely to be the problem. It would be good to isolate the problem, to see if it's 100% the XR500 or something else.

The simplest way of doing this would be to play for some time on your modem, and then play for some time on your XR500. Then see if either drops out.

Message 9 of 17
chiefsoap
Guide

I’m going to give spectating mode a shot and see how well it works out.
Message 10 of 17
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Great, thanks for the update. Hope it works.
Message 11 of 17
chiefsoap
Guide

@Netduma_Jack wrote:
Great, thanks for the update. Hope it works.

Just an update -

It happened again last night with the router. Major fight w/ 50+ people happened and is disconnected from servers.

I'm connecting directly to the Google Fiber Router/Modem tonight to see if I yeild the same results.

Message 12 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi chief, its definitely a good idea to keep the Geo-Filter in Spectating Mode. I imagine the game has it's own servers that you can select even though it's on consoles as most RPGs do, is that the case? If so I would make sure you're selecting the closest server to you. If they do show servers do they by any chance show a load %? If so pick one that is quite low, that should rule out if it's the server itself becoming overloaded and point to a different issue rather than the game.

Do both consoles give NAT Type 2 on the PlayStation network test when connected to the XR500? I would suggest giving the XR500 a static IP on the Google Fiber router, disabling WiFi and putting the XR500 in it's DMZ if you suggested to see if it's an issue with the partial bridge mode option they have.

Are you utilising Traffic Prioritization on QoS? (You should be as DumaOS Classified Games is enabled by default) If not, enable this and see if that resolves the issue. It places your gaming packets ahead of any network queues that may be happening. If you are using it try disabling it and see if that resolves the issue.

Does it always appear to happen when there is a lot happening on the game or have you noticed it happening at other times?
Message 13 of 17
chiefsoap
Guide

So just an update. Last night I went straight through the Google Box and I had issues getting disconnected, my spouse didn't. She went the entire night without any disconnects. Same scenario. The only major difference between the Google Box and XR500 is when I was using the XR500, disconnects were happening to both of us almost simutaiously.

When I swapped the XR500 for the Google box, I had to swap 1 ethernet cable that connected the modem to the fiber box in the house in order for it to reach both consoles. I'm going to try replacing that ethernet cable tonight and see how it works out.

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Hi chief, its definitely a good idea to keep the Geo-Filter in Spectating Mode. I imagine the game has it's own servers that you can select even though it's on consoles as most RPGs do, is that the case? If so I would make sure you're selecting the closest server to you. If they do show servers do they by any chance show a load %? If so pick one that is quite low, that should rule out if it's the server itself becoming overloaded and point to a different issue rather than the game.

Do both consoles give NAT Type 2 on the PlayStation network test when connected to the XR500? I would suggest giving the XR500 a static IP on the Google Fiber router, disabling WiFi and putting the XR500 in it's DMZ if you suggested to see if it's an issue with the partial bridge mode option they have.

Are you utilising Traffic Prioritization on QoS? (You should be as DumaOS Classified Games is enabled by default) If not, enable this and see if that resolves the issue. It places your gaming packets ahead of any network queues that may be happening. If you are using it try disabling it and see if that resolves the issue.

Does it always appear to happen when there is a lot happening on the game or have you noticed it happening at other times?

A couple of nights ago when I was testing using the router it put in spectating mode and it didn't make a difference. Unfortunately when the game starts up I only have the option of selecting US Mega Server or EU Mega Server. However; I had tried changing my DNS to Google Public and tonight I'm going to test using Open DNS to see if that makes a difference. Fwiw - the my spouses PS4 has been using Google Public DNS the entire time. Both consoles give NAT Type 2. Both consoles have a static IP and I've already configured the Google Box using the instructions above of putting the router in Google Fiber's "bridge mode".

I am using utilizing traffic prioritization in QoS and I have it bumped up pretty high for both consoles, I'm fairly certain Duma OS Classified Games is enable but I'll need to double check.

Disconnects occur during open world pvp (when there's like 50+ people on the screen at once) and I get pretty awesome lag spikes during raid events (12 people on the screen) when they are alot of particle effects and generally a lot going on. The pattern is absolutely isolated to those type of scenarios. No other scenario do the lag spikes and disconnects occur

Message 14 of 17
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the update Soap. If you are getting disconnects when connected into the modem, that points to the cause being either in the modem, the cabling or the line itself? Let me know if you think I'm wrong.

As for NAT Type 2 - that generally should mean everything is still fine, but obviously type 1 is preferred. It might be worth taking the modem back out of bridge mode and instead seeing if there is an option for DMZ, where you then put the XR500's IP address into the IP (this is the IP address according to your modem, also known as the XR500's WAN IP)

Let us know how you get on.

Message 15 of 17
chiefsoap
Guide

Another update on the on-going saga - Saturday Morning Google Fiber came out and not only replaced their modem but also checked everything. According to them, everything is all good. So today I've reconnected the XR500 and I'll resume operations. I'll keep everyone up to date on what's going on

Message 16 of 17
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Great, thanks for letting us know. Hope it works out well.
Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7