× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 - PS4 Wifi speed issues

meridian_05
Aspirant

XR500 - PS4 Wifi speed issues

Based in the UK.  XR500 as router, Virgin Media v3 hub set as modem to M350 fibre broadband (362Mbps down).

I purchased the router to get the most out of the M350 fibre plan, and for nearly all devices I can see the increased in-home wifi speed compared to using the v3 hub as the router.  However, the PS4 is the exception.

When using the v3 hub as the router, the PS4 hits between 60-70 Mbps when in the same room as the router.  Switching to the XR500 and it gets max 20Mbps, and very often dropping to below 1Mbps, and this is with the console sat right next to the router (for testing purposes only - a permanent ethernet connection is not a working option).

The PS4 is the only device in the house that I have this issue with.

Are there any known issues with PS4 wifi connections to the XR500, or any settings in either the router or console that are specific to fix this wifi issue?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 - PS4 Wifi speed issues

The console speed tests can be inaccurate so I wouldn't pay too much attention to it, I have the same ISP/plan as you and I've not got full speeds through it with either router. Can you connect via ethernet with the PS4?
Message 2 of 5
Faulko
Aspirant

PS4 wifi performance is woeful at best, avoid using it at all cost.

Naturally cable is better but id take EoP over PS4 wifi any day.

Its not the router i can assure you of that.

Message 3 of 5
meridian_05
Aspirant

Console speed tests might be inaccurate compared to other speed tests, but this is comparing the console speed test on the v3 hub against the same console speed test on the XR500. Even when sitting the console next to the XR500 the speeds are often less that 1Mbps.

Disregarding the speed tests themselves, the wifi connection between PS4 and XR500 makes the PS4 unusable - unable to download at speed, unable to connect to games using chat, etc.  It's so bad that I've had to revert back to using the v3 hub just to be able to play games.

Message 4 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you using the Geo-Filter? You'll need to add your friends to the allow list before you can chat with them. It also may be why the speeds are slowed if it's forced to use a different server.
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7