× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Performance over time

nf_
Aspirant
Aspirant

XR500 Performance over time

I have a Nighthawk XR500 (firmware V2.3.2.56) that seems to have performance issues that worsen over time.

When the router has been running for a while, modules stop loading in the web-interface with errors like "The operation is taking longer than expected. Please briefly wait before using this R-App."
Waiting, however, does not help and the module never loads. Not even after a router re-boot.

Rebooting the router can temporarily resolve some issues but not all.
I have experienced VOIP disconnecting after 5-10 seconds (Team Speak and Discord).
Rubber-banding and package loss is also, but more briefly, helped by a re-boot.

I have also reset to firmware which helps some modules load in the web-interface that did not load before, but then others fail in stead. And over time more and more fail to load.
After my latest reset I get a "Device not found" error in QoS and the module for "Traffic Prioritization" (add remove devices) never loads.

Is this how the router is expected to perform? Is there a more permanent fix than re-boot / reset?
Is it just my device that’s broken?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What web browser are you using to access the interface? Also are you accessing via HTTPS or HTTP? In System Information in the R-App panel options change the number of retries from 3 to 5. In WAN Settings toggle SIP ALG and if you're still having an issue switch NAT to Open. Also then clear your browser cache/cookies, once you've done this reboot the router, have the issues improved?
Message 2 of 12
nf_
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

I use regular http on FireFox and Chrome, on PC and Mac. The issues atre the same on all platforms.

Updating settings as you instructed helped loading web-interface, but in QoS I still get a "Device not found" and "Traffic Prioritization" never loads.

I will leave these settings on for a few days and see if it has helped in the long run too.

Thanks again, and I'll report my findings.

Message 3 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It sounds like a device being changed or deleted has caused both those QoS issues. Has any device been altered or removed? If so adding it back/changing the name to the original should resolve that, otherwise I think a factory reset would be the only way - not using the backup file if you have one.
Message 4 of 12
nf_
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was thinking the same thing. I will try a firmware reset and manual setup this weekend.

As for the "R-app taking too long to load." It only took an hour or two before the error came back and several modules failed to load.

Let's see what a frimware reset does for the general performance.

Message 5 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay do the reset and then remember to change the retry attempts back to 5 and see how you get on.
Message 6 of 12
nf_
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did a firmware reset and it solved the "Device not Found" error.

It also solved the "taking too long to load", but even with reload attempts set to 5, it only works temporarily. After a few hours the loading errors return.

Rebooting the router can help sometimes, but only the firmware reset made the interface run smoothly for a while.

Message 7 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you use Anti-Virus software or Adblock at all? If you disable both of those briefly when you have the issue and refresh the page does it load properly? What is your exact physical setup?
Message 8 of 12
nf_
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have no anti virus and access via mac and pc via different browsers, mostly Fire Fox. Some browsers have add-block.

I will try and see if there is a difference between AdBlock and non-AdBlock browsers but initially all loads fine after a firmware reset. Then, over time, loading fails for more and more modules.

Message 9 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is your physical setup e.g. modem > XR > all devices?
Do you access via HTTP or HTTPS? Does it happen regardless if you use routerlogin.net or the LAN IP to login?
Message 10 of 12
nf_
Aspirant
Aspirant

I connect to the router with http.

It seems to make a difference if I use IP instead of routerlogin.net. Using IP lets modules load now, so I'll just use that.

Message 11 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's really strange but glad it's working. Let us know if you have any more issues/questions and we'll be happy to help.
Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7