× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Ping ramping up and down.

TTNorth
Guide

XR500 Ping ramping up and down.

I have had a XR500 for about 3 weeks and I have nothing but problems. In game the ping is ramping up and down constantly. I connect to Telstra Bigpond ADSL2+ with the smart modem in bridge mode.  I am plugged back into my AC68U which is fine. XR500 is unusable for me.

Any ideas?  Cheers

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 Ping ramping up and down.

The speed at which is increases and then decreases indicates that it's likely a server side issue or a local congestion issue. Could you follow this guide please and see if that resolves the issue: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-q...
Message 2 of 6
TTNorth
Guide

I have narrowed it down to a wifi issue with the Netgear A6210 USB Dongle in my kids computers. I hard wired the computer and played Overwatch and it does not ramp up and down. I changed channels etc... but it still does it.

Message 3 of 6
TTNorth
Guide

I just plugged an old TP link 300mbps USB dongle into kids computer with wifi and it does not ramp up and down. There is an issue with the A6210 and the XR500 together

Edit. I have 2 kids which means 2  computers the same and 2 Netgear A6210's which both do the same thing. 

Message 4 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Well done finding the cause, it might be a good idea to create a support ticket as they're both Netgear products: http://support.netgear.com/

Did you use a WiFi analyser to check for the best channel before testing it? Are you using Smart Connect for WiFi? If so the adapter might not be interacting nicely with that so try disabling it and connecting the adapters to the individual 2.4/5GHz WiFi. Also recommend using 2.4GHz for gaming as it is more stable.
Message 5 of 6
TTNorth
Guide

I did use a WiFi analyser. I do not use the smart connect.  I plugged both A6210's into my computer which is an Intel 8700K and my kids computers are AMD 2600's and they do the same thing on 2.4 and 5G on my system. Constant ramping up and down. Just a bug I guess.

I will put a support ticket in. Maybe they can replicate it. The A6210 is still a current product.

Thanks for you replies.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7