× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Port Forwarding

EnglishBloke
Aspirant

XR500 Port Forwarding

I have a Synology DS218 and a Netgear XR500 Router.

I've been trying to setup port forwarding for a few hours now so that I can access my files remotely and have the server setup so it is permanently available on my macbook when I'm away.

I have already setup DDNS through the Synology Control Panel as I figured that's the easiest part and as soon as the rest is setup the domain will work.

However I seem to be having some issues. When trying to configure port forwarding through the Synology Control Panel, everything goes smoothly to start with. Setting up the router has no problems Creating the Port Forwarding Rules is simple. But after the rules are created, the connecton displays "Failed" for every port.

I then deleted all the rules and tried to set them up through my XR500, all ports displayed as active, but I couldn't access them. I have UPnP turned On already and no firewalls setup, except whatever Windows installs on its own.

I went on the synology live chat and was told that the ports are off?

Basically I now have no idea what I'm doing and no YouTube video or forum is helping. I thought it would be a simple task but it's now proving very difficult.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 Port Forwarding

First of all, what is your exact physical setup? I.e. what is the XR500 connected to?
Message 2 of 4
EnglishBloke
Aspirant

So my NBN box is connected to my XR500 which then goes out to my synology NAS and PC via ethernet.

Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay great, so firstly in XR WAN Settings change NAT to Open and then try it. If that doesn't help, put the Syn in the DMZ and see if it works.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7