× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Problems! Help

Hickery1995
Aspirant

XR500 Problems! Help

Hi, I bought my Nighthawk XR500 router yesterday, my first gaming router, anyway i've came home and set it up and seem to have some problems, all devices have connected spot on, other than my xbox, or to clarify, its connected but something weird is happening. So i have my geofilter set up to where i live, and the profile for unreal engine (fortnite) as thats the game i play, the range is around 1700 miles, now when ever i go on fortnite, my ping is 148,before this router it was 20, and my game seems to think im in NA West, im actually in England (Europe) No matter what i do i cant change it,any ideas, as it stands ill be returning this and going for a different router.
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 23
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi Hickery,

This should be straightforward to resolve. Please could you follow these steps:

1. Make sure you are on the latest firmware: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XR500/XR500-V2.3.2.32.zip
  2. Move your home location on the Geo-Filter to the UK. You can do this by clicking on the little pin icon near the top left corner of the Map and then clicking on your home. If you are not sure what this is, please either follow the Geo-Filter tour within DumaOS (click the '?' icon at the very top of the page next to where it says 'Geo-Filter' or follow this guide: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077072-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-geo-...
  3. Make sure your region within Fortnite itself is set to Europe. This page explains how to do this if you are not sure: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/brazil-and-asia-servers-now-available
  4. Finally, I recommend you start out with Spectating Mode just to get a feel for where the most common Fortnite servers are for you by looking at the map. You can then narrow your radius and enable Filtering Mode when you know where your favourite servers are usually located

Hope that all works and bring home that Victory Royale

Message 2 of 23
Hickery1995
Aspirant

Hi and thankyou for your reply, I've just done a factory reset, previously i had my geofilter set to the uk but it was showing me a triangle somewhere in the states and it was as if my device (Xbox one) kept trying to connect to that, so im going to attempt again now, also when i run an ethernet cable from my XR500 to the xbox, i get no internet, any idea why? (Wi fi connects fine) thankyou.
Message 3 of 23
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Ok, let us know how you get on. The Geo-Filter has a default start location of California, so you will need to move it to begin.

The most likely reason wired is not working is because you have a static IP set on your Xbox for LAN connections. If you go to Network Settings you should be able to set this to dynamic.

If it's not that, then try a different Ethernet cable as you could have a dodgy one.

Message 4 of 23
Hickery1995
Aspirant

Hi again Jack, thanks for the reply, ive moved the geo filter to my location now, my ping is still worse than what it was before i bought this new router, also i keep getting double nat on strict, i have no bridge mode or modem mode on my modem/router at home (the one the xr500 is wires up to) any ideas,as for the ethernet cable i will try that shortly
Message 5 of 23
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Do you have a DMZ option on your modem? If you do, you want to put your XR500 in your modem’s DMZ. Let me know if you’re not sure how to do this.

How are you measuring your ping?

Message 6 of 23
Hickery1995
Aspirant

Hi, im not really sure how to setup a DMZ or what it means, so help would be great. My XR500 is connected up to a talk talk hg633 router, which has no modem mode or bridge mode. I have turned the wifi off on my talk talk router to stop any confusion between the 2 routers, but have no idea about dmz, should this help the connectioj improve? And im measuring my ping on fortnite, im not sure how to check my ping using the xr500 website.
Message 7 of 23
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

If you add your gaming device to the Geo-Filter (and if it's a PC, then choose the Unreal Engine Service). It should then show the server you are connecting to within the game itself. It will then automatically ping the server, so you can see how good the connection is.

How do you see the ping in Fortnite? Is there a command you can type in to bring it up while playing?

As for the Talk Talk modem, it's hard to give advice as we don't have one, but a Google search said this might be a way to set it into Bridge Mode:

Internet menu > Internet Connection > Edit button > from Connection type drop down list select Bridged 

It's only worth doing this if your NAT is not open. If everything is working fine then leave it as it is.

Message 8 of 23
Hickery1995
Aspirant

Thanks Jack, my NAT is open so i wont bother trying the bridge mode, but I am playing fortnite on Xbox one, my device is connected to geo filter and i have made the profile unreal engine, yet when im in a game the 'Ping - Auto ping' feature says 'There is currently no host or server to ping' I have auto ping host on, is there any reason for this, and as for a game like fortnite, should strict mode be off and should I be in spectator mode instead of filtering mode due to the size of the game? Thankyou
Message 9 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Once you're actually in and playing a game the ping will be shown. Depends, you could use strict on. When the game starts to load thats when it gets blocked and then you'll have to wait to be returned to the lobby to research. So its up to you, do that or use spectating mode and simply back out to lobby if its not a server you want
Message 10 of 23
Hickery1995
Aspirant

Ive played many games now and not once has my ping shown on the xr500 and it doesnt show me anyones location what so ever
Message 11 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Please include a screenshot of the top of the Geo-Filter page
Message 12 of 23
Hickery1995
Aspirant

A reboot of the router seems to have fixed it, should i be playing with auto ping host on?
Message 13 of 23
Hickery1995
Aspirant

Edit: Since i rebooted my xr500 the geo filter sort of works, although during a game of COD i can only see 2 to 3 people even though there are 12 in my game
Message 14 of 23
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

It's up to you if you keep auto ping host on/off. Most people keep it on because it's convenient - it just automatically pings the host of you - but some people like to manually ping different connections themselves.

As for the Geo-Filter - you should see the host throughout the game. Usually this is a server. Other players will appear on your map if / when you pass information between each other. Usually this is when the lobby is being formed. When the game starts, you'll mostly just see the server.

Is this consistent with what you have been seeing?

Message 15 of 23
Hickery1995
Aspirant

Even in the lobbys im only seeing 1 or 2 people, it stays like that during the game, if i could only see the server how would i add someone to the allow/block list of i couldnt see them on the map though?
Message 16 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Hickery, you won't always see every player that is in the game with you as some will be outside your radius but they are connecting to the dedicated server within your radius. It depends on what you need to block/allow players for. For a game which utilises servers theres no need to block/allow players as you're only connecting to the server. For P2P games like FIFA for example that doesn't use servers and you connect to the other player directly then you could use deny/allow here to never play with that player again or play against them even if they're outside your radius. If you're playing with people that you need to allow then invite them to a game lobby or private chat prior to searching for a game and add them to the allow list then.
Message 17 of 23
ericmartinez23
Aspirant

Hi not really that tech savy live a 5 year old really need to be watched. i just bought the XR500 nighthawk for my kids to game and leave my firstike to me and wifey. but i can't get their Xboxes to connect to the 5G portion of the router that is the whole reason for buying this router. can some one please help me with this so i can help my kids thank you..

Message 18 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Eric, first of all I would always recommend you have the consoles connected via ethernet but if you have to use WiFi then I would always recommend using 2.4GHz. Also depending on which version of the Xboxes you have they may not support 5GHz. You may have the XR500 using Smart Connect which means there is only one WiFi network and it will switch between 2.4GHz and 5GHz depending on individual devices needs so you could disable this then try to connect manually.
Message 19 of 23
ericmartinez23
Aspirant

It will not even connect to the 5G and they have Xbox1

Message 20 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What actually happens when you try to connect it? Did you disable Smart Connect so theres a separate WiFi name for it?
Message 21 of 23
ericmartinez23
Aspirant

Yes i did when we first got it but it will not let anything but my laptop connect ? 

Message 22 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Disable the WiFi completely in Settings > Advanced Settings then reboot then enable again and see if it will connect then
Message 23 of 23
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7