× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Ps4 party chat

andysiow85
Guide

XR500 Ps4 party chat

Hi,

I have been using this router for about 2 month now. In love with all the functions of the router especially the Geofilter. Also the main reason I chose this router is because of the geofilter. However, it doesn't work well with the party chat on my ps4. 

I have read other users complaining about it but somehow I couldn't find a "real" solution to this.

I have tried, on/off UPNP, port forwarding, DMZ mode, NAT filtering open/secured, spectating/filtering mode on the geofilter, disabling bufferbload/QOS & disabling SIP ALG.

What works best for me currently is, DMZ mode, no port forwarding or upnp, remove my ps4 all together from the Geofilter and the party chat works perfectly fine, but it works only for about 2 hours or so then my friends couldn't hear me again but I can still hear them and I am still in the chat. Tried getting out of the chat and re-enter (while in game) but that didn't fix it. I know if i restart my ps4 it might work... but haven't had a chance to try that out as I do not want my friends to wait for me while they are happily in game. Currrently both the router and PS4 is on the latest firmware as of today.

Saw a post that you guys are doing an update on the cloud to fix this? or is there any other solution to this? it's frustrating that we couldn't use the full potential of the router. 

Appreciate your response to this.

Andy

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you're disabling the Geo-Filter entirely and it still becomes an issue then that indicates there is another problem somewhere. What is your exact physical setup? E.g ISP modem/router (no deivces) > XR500 > all devices
Message 2 of 19
andysiow85
Guide

Hi Fraser,

Thank you for your reply.

ISP modem is connected to a ethernet box (living room) and my router is connected to the wall ethernet in my room. PS4 is connected wired to router directly. 

Message 3 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It sounds as though you're using the XR exclusively while others in the home are using the ISP router is that right? There may be some port conflicts going on there, have you put your XR500 in the DMZ of the ISP router? It would be best for QoS if all devices were connected to the XR as well.
Message 4 of 19
andysiow85
Guide

Hi, 

I'm sorry but i don't get what you meant. I have an ISP modem to connect to internet. That modem didn't connect to any other devices. Purely to provide internet connection to the router.

All other devices is connected to XR 500. I am from Singapore by the way.

Message 5 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay good, in the PS4 network settings do you have NAT Type 2? What game are you playing - does it show a NAT status on the game? Could you try connecting the PS4 via WiFi and see if the same thing happens please?
Message 6 of 19
andysiow85
Guide

Hi Fraser,

I am playing Fifa20 pro clubs. I haven't try on Wifi yet, however, yesterday night i was playing with only 2 of my other friends on party chat. Suprisingly, no distruption on my chat after more that 2 hrs or so. Usually i will play with more than 5 friends. Is it possible for one of my friend's connection or ports or what ever not, could have been conflicted with mine? i am just thinking of any possible way, not really technical in IT stuff. Sorry if i sounded dumb. 

Message 7 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No that is possible, if you have a moderate NAT for example you could connect easily to all those with an open NAT except for someone with a strict NAT.
Message 8 of 19
andysiow85
Guide

oh well, yesterday it happened again. After 2 hrs of gaming with 4 of my friends my mic just stopped working. My headset is a brand new. So, i know it is not my headset issue. Anyway i strongly believe it is related to the geofilter, because it stopped working whenever the geofilter is one. Hope we can find a solution to this. 

Message 9 of 19

Hi guys!

For me the only solutions it was disable the geofilter and I have no issues. If I have the geofilter on then I have to set it to spectate when I join to a chat party and then activate it again. But if someone come to the party after me I must leave the party spectate again and join again the party.
Message 10 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You mentioned it is still an issue with the Geo-Filter disabled, is that still the case?
Message 11 of 19
andysiow85
Guide

Yes still. After few hrs estimated around 2 hrs of gaming... then i just went muted. 

Message 12 of 19
andysiow85
Guide

Hi KostasKtm83,

Thank you for your comment. I removed the geofilter altogether, restart my ps4 then the party chat works, but only for a few hrs of gaming, so far i realised around 2 hrs or so, then i got muted but i can still hear my friends. Pretty strange for my case. 

Message 13 of 19

This is strange... 🤔
Did you tried to play direct from the ISP router? How is your setup? If you use the XR500 connected to your ISP router please connect your PS4 direct on this router and trie to play to check what will happen. Normally when the geofilter blocked the chat party it is from Nat type restriction and you can’t hear and to talk to the people. But in your case you can still hear the others but not hear you... try to play directly from your ISP router and if you have again the same issue then something else occurs the problem.
Message 14 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great advice above, try direct to ISP hub and see if it occurs also.
Message 15 of 19
andysiow85
Guide

Guys thank you for your replies. 

I think I might have found the culprit to this issue. I have been playing with my controller connected to a third party USB cable to my ps4. I believe the cable is the issue! I have been playing without it for 2 days now without any distruptions over 2 hours. Will try again for few days and update here again. 

My nat type has always been type 2. Unfortunately I am not able to connect my ps 4 directly to my ISP modem as the modem is purely for providing internet (not wifi) to my home. The available ethernet ports are blocked except for 2 ports one for internet connection and another one is for Tv. Only the ISP technician are able to configure the modem.

Anyway thanks for the input. Will update again in next few days! 

Andy

Message 16 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's great to hear, thank you for the update. Fingers crossed it continues to work!
Message 17 of 19
andysiow85
Guide

Guys, 

Just an update. Been playing without the USB cable connected to my controller and it is working great. No distruption in the party chat. 

So the solution for me is, 

- off geofilter

- my third party usb cable that was connected to my controller

Next I would like to try playing with Geofilter on spectating mode or even on filtering

Andy

Message 18 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's great, sounds like that was the cause then!
Message 19 of 19
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7