× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 QoS Not Working

TurtleBird
Aspirant

XR500 QoS Not Working

I am having an issue with my XR500 that I am hoping this forum can help solve. 

Occassionally (a few times a day), Outlook running on my Mac spikes to 10-15 Mbps upload. When this happens, it brings both my Xbox and my PC running Discord to their knees. I usually get choppy in Discord and eventually get booted from the server on Xbox. Additionally, sometimes this spike will cause all devices to get only a trickle of bandwidth (0.005 Mbps) requiring me to reset my modem (and to kill Outlook). 

I have tweaked the settings every way that I can to try to prevent Outlook from taking that much bandwidth, but it clearly isn't working. I am not a networking novice, but I am certainly no expert, so I am hopeful someone else can shed some light here. 

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 QoS Not Working

Are you using Anti-Bufferbloat? As it's perfect for preventing spikes like those affecting your network. Suggest you set it to 'Always' and 70% for both download/upload and see if that resolves your issue.
Message 2 of 11
TurtleBird
Aspirant

Thanks for the recommendation. I tried this, and it seemed to help (Outlook only spiked to 5 Mbps) but it didn't totally fix the problem, my voice still was choppy in Discord. Would it make sense to decrease past 70%?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens with the setting at 80% then try 90%. 

@TurtleBird wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation. I tried this, and it seemed to help (Outlook only spiked to 5 Mbps) but it didn't totally fix the problem, my voice still was choppy in Discord. Would it make sense to decrease past 70%?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 11
TurtleBird
Aspirant

Wouldn't increasing to 80% or 90% decrease the effectiveness of antibuffer bloat (ie would allow additional bandwidth to be consumed by Outlook)? 

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Outlook doesn't need much. 

What are you doing with Outlook? 

Message 6 of 11
TurtleBird
Aspirant

My question wasn't really clear - I am looking for Outlook to use less bandwidth. Wouldn't moving the slider to 80% allow Outlook to access more bandwidth? 

I am not doing anything out of the ordinary with Outlook, rather it has some weird issue where it will spike to 15GBs if allowed to (periodically, not constantly). 

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Test it and see. You can always move it back. 

I would look into Outlook at this spike thing. Outlook shouldn't be doing anything unless your sending or recieving emails. I keep outlook closed for my needs when I'm not using it. If outlook is doing something behind the scenes that it shouldn't be, then that needs to be resolved with out look first. 

What version of outlook are you using? 

Message 8 of 11
TurtleBird
Aspirant

You're definitely right in that the "correct" way to troubleshoot this is to isolate / fix the issue in Outlook. That said, I kind of want to use this as an excuse to learn to tweak my network settings. 

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Well tweaking is ok however do the tweaking based on having all other items in good working order. If something or one device or app is causing problems, then tweaking will be based on false negatives and not getting you true tweak experiences. 

I'd do a search online to see if others have reported similar problems with Outlook. 

Do some testing with it closed and online. You can use programs lit BitMeter to see what is coming and going on the network adapter. PingPlotter is a good app aswell. If you need to dive deeper, wireshark is good as well to help MS Outlook support people with there program. 

Message 10 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd suggest you follow this guide to fine tune Anti-Bufferbloat to find what % limits your spikes as much as possible http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-test-your-connection
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7