× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 QoS causing trouble with Samsung tv

Kinag
Aspirant

XR500 QoS causing trouble with Samsung tv

Hi, I have an issue which I've finally figured out is caused by the QoS.
Whenever I have QoS applied on my router my TV refuses to stream videos from several apps.
I got a Samsung Q7FN TV, but this is not an issue on my LG BV7.
I've seen on the web that several people have this issue, but there's no answer about a fix.

The issue disappears when I toggle QoS off.

I've tried to disable/enable every other feature I can think off without any luck.

Anyone know the fix for this? I want to be able to prioritize gaming traffic on my network and use anti bufferbloat or else I might as well have bought a cheaper router.

Edit: my modem is in bridge mode and I got an 80/80 connection.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 QoS causing trouble with Samsung tv

How are both TVs connected to the router via ethernet or wifi? If you disable Traffic Prioritization does it work?
Message 2 of 14
Kinag
Aspirant

The TV's have been connected through both WIFI and wired (CAT-6).

The connection doesn't matter, the only constant is the QoS feature.

Traffic Prioritization doesn't work neither, whenever I turn it off the problem persists.

For some reason, the only thing that affects it is having the QoS enabled/disabled.

I have a feeling that the QoS feature drops packets needed for the TV apps to work, or atleast queues it which in turn makes the streaming apps not work. The companies who produce these apps and deliver the services were baffled by the error messages I had as they had never seen anything like it. They insisted it had to be the router which was the problem, which I actually rejected the notion of, until I actually found out that several others had the same issue and the QoS feature was the culprit.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When you say you disable Traffic Prio does that include unticking DumaOS Classified Games? If not disable that. That feature is the only thing that should be filtering packets really. For Bandwidth Allocation have you disabled share excess for download or upload?
Message 4 of 14
Kinag
Aspirant

Hi again,

Yes I've tried both disabling QoS and turning off Duma OS Classified Games and seperate times. Only QoS off fixes the issue.

And I'm thinking that you're answering my thread on the netduma forums as well (same person :D)

Message 5 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you put the TV in the DMZ in WAN Settings does that help at all? Yes I am!
Message 6 of 14
Kinag
Aspirant

Didn't change a thing. Only constant is QoS. I've tried everything.
Message 7 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you connect the TV to a guest wifi network and then re-enable QoS, does it work that way?
Message 8 of 14
Kinag
Aspirant

I don't use the WIFI from the router.

I've got an Orbi mesh system which works as AP's.

I've tried with both cable (directly from the router, not the Orbi AP) and wifi so I highly doubt the guest wireless would work any different.

Message 9 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

My reason being, the guest wifi may not work the same with QoS as the normal devices and so may be able to bypass the restriction while allowing all your devices to benefit from QoS. So it doesn't work even when connected to the Orbi?
Message 10 of 14
Kinag
Aspirant

That is correct.

Neither with Orbi in AP mode, through cable to the XR500 or through normal wireless through the XR500.

Message 11 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

In WAN Settings could you untick IGMP Proxying please and see if that helps. Otherwise I'll have to pass it onto the team.
Message 12 of 14
Kinag
Aspirant

I already have, I saw it was proposed in another thread. It had no effect unfortunatly. I hope this is something that can be looked at rather quickly.

It should be interesting for the developers to look into as well I guess (speaking as an IT Technician).
Message 13 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've passed it on to the devs so hopefully they'll have some insight.
Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7