× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Random Reboot multiple times a day

PBandJ
Guide

XR500 Random Reboot multiple times a day

XR500 with firmware 2.2.1.10 runs great when it runs, but reboots at random times. My kids are pissed their homework keeps getting interrupted.

After updating to the latest firmware, did the factory reset, paperclip to reset button on back. Also have unplugged power, then powered up. IP6 is disabled.

My hookup is Charter Spectrum - Arris TM1602 - XR500 - LAN (a few wired and wireless computers, at most 4 computers using the internet at the same time).

Sequence is: We lose internet and LAN connections. Upon checking the XR500, Only power LED is lit orange. Other LED's come on over time as the boot process continues.

My old Buffalo wzr-1750dhp router works fine but is slower. I might reconnect it and return the XR500.

Running out of time and patience. As a former network guy, I have tried everything to resolve. Not looking forward to tech support have me do all the basics that I already tried.

Any thoughts out there?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
PBandJ
Guide

Re: XR500 Random Reboot multiple times a day

Well, the router worked for 36 hours then went back to multiple random reboots a day.

Turns out the data capture tech support wanted me to do gets wiped out on router reboot, so that was a waste.

I don't have time to deal with this. I'm back to my old router that is a little slow but at least gives me a reliable internet connection. 

And the huge disappointment XR500 is on the UPS truck returned to the seller.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are there any specific times you've noticed this happen such as when theres heavy traffic usage or anything like that?

Just a suggestion but set the XR500 MAC address to the previous router's MAC address.

I would definitely recommend calling the support number given here when you login: http://support.netgear.com/ If they're unable to resolve it they can escalate it as a bug.
Message 2 of 11
PBandJ
Guide

Thank you for the reply Fraser.

I tried using the MAC address of our old router and the default address of the XR500. In addition to the factory reset, also tried the erase option.

Still having random reboots.

Network traffic is small, occasionally peaking at around 9 Mbs out of our 65 Mbs bandwidth.

The only thing I can find in the logs are frequent DOS attacks. Maybe the OS gets everwhelmed and reboots.

I'll try tech support later today. Don't really have time for this. While speed is nice, reliability is king.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Totally understand the frustration, do let us know what support advise.
Message 4 of 11
PBandJ
Guide

Contacted support and have a case #. Thankfully they quickly bumped me up to level 2 support.

Now capturing logs to forward to engineering. Told it could take 5-6 days for them to address. Smiley Sad

I thought it was ridiculous when they mentioned that my power outlet could be the issue. You mean the one that works perfectly well with my notebook, network switch and old router?

Message 5 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear you're getting a good level of support. Though it will take some days hopefully using the information you provided the issue can get fixed! Please do keep us updated.
Message 6 of 11
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi PBandJ,

I'm glad that your are getting support on this and it is moving forward.

Please let us know what the resolution is. :]

- Jason N

Message 7 of 11
PBandJ
Guide

So far the router has been up close to 24 hours straight. The longest yet.
The only thing we did is start a continuous LAN/WAN packet capture in debug mode.

Maybe the router senses it is being bad and could be sent back to be disassembled, so it is now behaving. haha.

Message 8 of 11
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Haha Thanks for the update PBandJ! Please let us know if anything else comes up. :]

- Jason N

Message 9 of 11
PBandJ
Guide

Well, the router worked for 36 hours then went back to multiple random reboots a day.

Turns out the data capture tech support wanted me to do gets wiped out on router reboot, so that was a waste.

I don't have time to deal with this. I'm back to my old router that is a little slow but at least gives me a reliable internet connection. 

And the huge disappointment XR500 is on the UPS truck returned to the seller.

Message 10 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What they should have told you to do was plug a USB into the router and save the capture to that.

Sorry to hear that you returned the router. Hopefully this will be fixed ASAP and you will consider getting the router again in future.
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7