× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Reboot

LukeEyre01
Tutor

XR500 Reboot

Hi,
I have recently upgraded my internet package to a 600mbps package, ever since I have upgraded my netgear router constantly reboots. All the lights go orange and it then reboots back up to white. When logged into Duma OS my cpu is sitting mostly sitting around 80+. I have an ISP router in modem mode and have checked that is not rebooting or anything. I have tried moving plug etc I have done a reset, I have downgraded to the last firmware. Anyone else experiencing these problems?
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 Reboot

Unplug the router fully from the power for 10 minutes to start with, then plug it in, does it continue to reboot? If so then remove the WAN/internet cable from it, does it still occur?
Message 2 of 32
LukeEyre01
Tutor

Hi,
I have tried leaving it unplugged for 10 mins, still no change. it doesn’t reboot when there is no internet cable plugged in.
Message 3 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you take the ISP router out of modem mode please, then reconnect it to the XR - does it continue to reboot then?
Message 4 of 32
LukeEyre01
Tutor

Hi,
I have changed my isp modem/ router back to router mode and so far have had no crashes. But have noticed the WiFi speed is slower and speed test usually fail over WiFi. I have turned the WiFi off on the ISP as it is in router mode.
Message 5 of 32
LukeEyre01
Tutor

This is every time on the nighthawk app. Trying to test speed coming direct into the router
Message 6 of 32
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK thanks, how much slower are we talking? What are the before and after speeds?

Message 7 of 32
LukeEyre01
Tutor

Hi,
Speed direct going to the router is around 630mbps WiFi is currently around 100mbps on 5ghz band and around 60mbps on 2.4ghz. Where as before I was getting around average about 300mbps on 5ghz and around 80mbps on 2.4ghz. Is putting the ISP into router mode going to cause any issues at all? Like double NAT or anything? The photos attached are the last time I got good speeds on WiFi, the higher being the 5ghz band.
Message 8 of 32
LukeEyre01
Tutor

Message 9 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Ah you're using the VM hub. That is what I'm using as well. Copy the WAN IP from the XR System Information page then enter that into the DMZ feature on the Hub - that will essentially make it act like a modem and pass all traffic to the XR. See if your speeds are higher then.
Message 10 of 32
LukeEyre01
Tutor

Guessing I would need to make the ip address on the xr500 static?
Message 11 of 32
LukeEyre01
Tutor

So the speed is now back with the wan ip set in DMZ just did a speed test on 5ghz and got back 480mbps over WiFi and on 2.8ghz I got 85mbps. Now to see if it crashes again, fingers crossed.

Just waiting to know if I need to set a static ip now, if there is a power cut or anything guessing I don’t want to get a new IP otherwise it won’t find it in DMZ.
Message 12 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Give the XR a static/reserved IP on the VM hub and then it won't change. Glad to hear that!
Message 13 of 32
LukeEyre01
Tutor

All done, thanks for the help, I will let you know if I have anymore crashes and reboots!
Message 14 of 32
LukeEyre01
Tutor

Hi,
So, I have been a while now without a reboot. But I have just had 4 over the last 2 days. It seems to reboot when downloading something on my ps5. Could anyone help me diagnose this or help me find out why? Once I start downloading it seems to be at full speed and takes all the internet in the house, all other device seem to slow down to a crawl.
I have anti bufferbloat enabled and also device distribution is set to equal for all devices.

Thanks
Luke
Message 15 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What percentages do you have set for Anti-Bufferbloat exactly?
Message 16 of 32
LukeEyre01
Tutor

Hi,
Anti buffer bloat is on 70%~70%. I have tried it on always and also when high priority traffic is detected mode.
Message 17 of 32
LukeEyre01
Tutor

Hi,
As soon as I resume the download all the lights on the router go red now. I have to turn the PlayStation off and then back on and resume, then I get about 2 mins of downloading then the router reboots again.
Thanks
Luke
Message 18 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can you take a look at the log file on the System Information page please and look for an entry that appears right when the issue happens and post it here?
Message 19 of 32
LukeEyre01
Tutor

Hi,

Sorry to sound stupid but how do i get the log. when the issue happens it says the router isnt connnected to the internet then the log clears. here is the log once i have got back onto the router login page.

sorry had to convert it to PDF to attach it

Message 20 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So just have a look at the System Information page and the log, reproduce the error and watch for any entries before the interface goes down and let us know what it is if possible. Unfortunately the log after a reboot won't tell us anything
Message 21 of 32
LukeEyre01
Tutor

Hi,
Nothing comes up on the log, it goes from
[admin login] from source (laptop MAC address), today’s date etc.
Then once the lights go red the login page goes blank saying the router is offline. So the log disappears
Message 22 of 32
LukeEyre01
Tutor

Hi,
So I have switch bands it is downloading without crashing so far on the 2.4ghz band just a lot slower, it only seems to be affecting the 5ghz band? On 2.4ghz band it’s downloading at 6mbps on 5ghz it was downloading at 40+mbps
Message 23 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's disappointing, thanks for trying though. Interesting, use the app WiFi Analyzer from the Microsoft Store for Windows and run a scan on 5GHz then attach a screenshot here please.
Message 24 of 32
LukeEyre01
Tutor

Message 25 of 32
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7