× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Rebooting Itself After Attempts at Streaming and Downloading

TayJBuiz
Aspirant

XR500 Rebooting Itself After Attempts at Streaming and Downloading

As the title says, for some reason my new Netgear router is crashing non-stop whenever I attempt to use my WiFi to stream or download games for my console. I've had this device since last month and I switched Internet providers at the same time, so I assumed it was my new modem. Nope. After attempting to watch my smart tv, the router crashed and entered a reboot state, and my modem was doing perfectly fine. I don't know why it's doing this, and any help would be great.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 14
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 Rebooting Itself After Attempts at Streaming and Downloading

Could you please go to Settings -> Setup -> LAN setup and change the minimum DHCP pool address to 192.168.1.50.

Then add IP address reservations for each device on the network, make sure you give each device a different address between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.49.

After that check if the problem still occurs.

Message 2 of 14
TayJBuiz
Aspirant

There's no "minimum". I have "Starting IP address" and "Ending IP address", then I also have IP Subnet Mask. I'm completely new to all of this.

Message 3 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Enter the starting IP as .50, then process with the reservations. Don't change anything else, you can leave subnet mask as it is. If you're unsure don't hesitate to ask!
Message 4 of 14
TayJBuiz
Aspirant

Alright, I changed it but nothing happened. I think I should mention that my PS5 and smart TV are connected via wireless, not cable, as they're not within cabling range of my router.

Message 5 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What do you mean nothing happened? If you did it successfully then you wouldn't notice anything right away, just that hopefully the issue is resolved after some time or at the very least reduced. That's fine, that won't affect the reserving of addresses.
Message 6 of 14
TayJBuiz
Aspirant

Yeahh, I'm going to keep this up for a while. I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't keep resulting in the router crashing when I try to download things or stream.

Message 7 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Lets see if that makes any difference, if not let us know and we can look into it further.
Message 8 of 14
TayJBuiz
Aspirant

And thus, with my attempt to download on my PS5 again, my Netgear crashed and is rebooting itself. The above didn't work and I have no idea what it was supposed to work for, but I'm once again trying to look for a way to stabilize the connection because it's not my modem.
Message 9 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you made a manual Traffic Prioritization rule by any chance? If so what is it? Have you put the console in the DMZ?
Message 10 of 14
TayJBuiz
Aspirant

No, I have no idea to do most of these things. The only thing I did was what was told above in the thread.
Message 11 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What settings have you changed specifically since you first set up the router or have you not changed anything and left it all as the default?
Message 12 of 14
TayJBuiz
Aspirant

Coming back to this: I followed the instructions provided here and nothing has changed. My downloads are still causing the router to crash and enter a reboot state along with streaming. Really wondering if I have a screwed system but my PC is fine with it being directly connected. It's specifically an issue with the WiFi that the router provides. I even plugged it directly into my wall socket, as told by a rep on the phone, and that didn't do anything to help.

Message 13 of 14
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

What settings have you changed specifically since you first set up the router or have you not changed anything and left it all as the default?

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7