× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Reboots Randomly

timmy69n
Guide

XR500 Reboots Randomly

Purchased this device little over a year and all of a sudden, my router reboots itself randomly. All lights would go off and power would become orange and blink, if i leave it alone it sometimes comes back online after it cycles through. Other times i have to power it off and back on to get it to function properly. I have been reading alot of forums hoping to find the correct fix, but nothing has worked as of yet.

Steps performed

Factory Reset
Replaced all Cable
Turned off QOS / Buffer Overflow / Set WIFI to Manual Channels
Device is in a well ventilated area

SN = 5KB3895P008FE
Firmware = V2.3.2.40

Any idea's or help would be greatly appreciated.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you certain it is rebooting or is it just disconnecting from the internet?
Message 2 of 19
timmy69n
Guide

The symptoms are as follows

• Internet goes out on both wireless and wired devices. - can't access the web interface wireless or wired.
  • Once this happens I look at the router and all lights except the power light is on blinking orange / amber
  • If I don’t touch it eventually everything comes back up and again i am able to ping the router or gain access to the Web interface.
  • Once it is back up I log in and check the uptime and it shows 2 – 5 minutes of being up.

• If it doesn’t come back up within 5 minutes I have to manually power cycle the device to get it working again.
  •  
Message 3 of 19
timmy69n
Guide

I also have powercycled both the router and the cable modem as well as tried using the clone MAC address option within the router as i read on some forum that this might help.. but didn't in my case.

Message 4 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Does it tend to occur at any particular time or day or after you've been using a particular device/application? What consoles do you have connected to the router? Could you change the consoles to not use instant on/standby modes please and see if that helps.
Message 5 of 19
timmy69n
Guide

Items on network

Wired - 2 xboxes on Laptop ( both have power save mode turned off as they are on all the time ) ( they also have IP reservations set up via MAC address in the router )

Wireless - 1 xbox, 3 cellphons/ ipad, and 2 Amazon firestick 4k devices.

Total of 10 devices online at one time.

The restarts are very very random typicallly at night time when everyone is home on their devices. could happen once a week, or last about 2 days.. 

Message 6 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the info, do you have the router plugged into a power extender? If so would it be possible to plug directly into a wall outlet? Sometimes the inconsistency in power from a power extender can cause it to reboot.
Message 7 of 19
timmy69n
Guide

Yea read that on a forum as well, the device is plugged directly into a power outlet bypassing a surge protector as it was plugged into but did not make a difference the device still reboots randomly.  

Message 8 of 19
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

There's a new firmware out today, could you update and see if it changes anything?

Message 9 of 19
timmy69n
Guide

Downloading as we speak and will give it a go.. I will report back for sure!

Message 10 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

I would factory reset the router after the FW updates and setup from scratch to ensure you get a good clean install and setup running. 

Message 11 of 19
timmy69n
Guide

Installed latest firmware and performed a factory reset, then set everything back up the way it was and as of right now it hasn't rebooted. Been up for 3 full days as of 8/20/19 I want to give it a full 2 weeks as i am very hopefull, keeping my fingers crossed.

Message 12 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the update, keep us posted!
Message 13 of 19
ngearftard
Luminary

Mine just rebooted itself again. On V2.3.2.56. I factory reset the XR500 after updating to latest firmware when it came out.

Made an earlier post about this, similar to the OP before the latest firmware update, and we chalked it up to heat, but it's nice and cool now (6 ft above the floor). The other evening it cut off all devices (all of their IP addresses were basically terminated). Had to reboot it to get them back.

Something wonky is going on.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 14 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Anything change before this started to occur again?
Message 15 of 19
ngearftard
Luminary

Other than Windows 10 updates (keep it fully patched at all times) and the firmware update and reset itself, no. Wait, now that I think of it, I did install Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4, which has its own IP configuration(s) in Windows, on one device. Other than that, no.

Message 16 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That should be fine, it may be worth contacting Netgear support directly or going down the RMA route.
Message 17 of 19
timmy69n
Guide

Back to a vicious rebooting cycle again. Device seems to be rebooting every day now, even after another factory reset to ensure i didn't inadvertantnly mess something up. What i am noticing when this happends.

- internet drops from both wireless / wired devices

- white lights as normal then device goes dark with orange / amber power light then starts the reboot process.

Device is sitting on a shelf with nothing around it what so ever. Nothing but problems with this model router from the start... Any guideance would be appreciated.

Message 18 of 19
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If it's rebooting on its own and it's plugged into a wall outlet then I think the only thing to do is either try another power adapter with the same voltage as that could have become faulty or try to get a replacement/RMA.
Message 19 of 19
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7