× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Reboots randomly

Zelcor
Aspirant

XR500 Reboots randomly

So I bought a new XR500 from Best Buy last month and there's been a strange consistent problem.

It randomly reboots and then the internet doesn't work.

If I reboot the router again the internet light still doesn't go back on and the connection is still broken.

If I reseat the network cable the internet is back.

So it goes like this.

Router reboots > all connection lights return online > internet light stays red > reseat the network cable.

And I'm back in business until it decides to reboot again.

I read some other posts and there maybe some kind of beta firmware I can download to get this resolved? Can anyone help me out?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 42
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

This may seem obvious but have you tried a different cable?

Message 2 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@Zelcor wrote:

So I bought a new XR500 from Best Buy last month and there's been a strange consistent problem.

If I reboot the router again the internet light still doesn't go back on and the connection is still broken.

So it goes like this.

Router reboots > all connection lights return online > internet light stays red > reseat the network cable.

I read some other posts and there maybe some kind of beta firmware I can download to get this resolved? Can anyone help me out?

Message 3 of 42
Zelcor
Aspirant

@Netduma_Alex wrote:

This may seem obvious but have you tried a different cable?

Yes I have, swapped out the cable that it came with in the box and changed it to the one I had on my old router.

Message 4 of 42
Zelcor
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

@Zelcor wrote:

So it goes like this.

Arris SURFboard SB6183

I'm pretty sure it's set to auto. I'll give changing the channels a try.

Yes, quite a lot. But why would nearby wifi's force reboot my router and break the internet connection?

Message 5 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

When the wifi is set to auto, the router will try to find a good clear channel to use, when the router encounters a noise channel, its trying to find a better channel. Since you say you have many other wifi neighbors near by, you maybe in a wifi congested area. This would be problematic. 

Message 6 of 42
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Please try this firmware, it's not specifically for your issue but it could help: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/28523-new-xr500-hotfix-firmware-for-drop-outs/

Do you have any consoles in a standby/instant on state at all?
Message 7 of 42
Zelcor
Aspirant

Yes, have 2 ps4s that may be on standby and I'm not sure if closed 3DS' and a Switch in sleep mode count.

Message 8 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if changing from Auto to manual channels changes anything...if no, then try the FW that was linked...

Message 9 of 42
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay try the above and the firmware then if the issue is still present disable the standby/instant on modes on the consoles and see if that resolves it please.
Message 10 of 42
biancaj
Guide

Unfortunately, I now have the same problem. I bought this router about a month or so ago and haven’t had any issues until two days ago. Magically, the router will reboot itself and not recognize the LAN/Ethernet/internet in port (light just stays red, even while the others are white again). I came across your thread by searching for the issue.

I tried the firmware update that was linked and it didn’t help. Additionally, the router logs magically get wiped after it decides to reboot, so I can’t even use the logs to figure out what’s causing the reboot.

I’m extremely disappointed (and honestly irate). I wasted $300 for a router that obviously doesn’t work.
Message 11 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

What devices do you have connected to the XR router? 

Downgrade to v32 FW version please...Factory reset and then setup from scratch to see if the problem continues. 

@biancaj wrote:
Unfortunately, I now have the same problem. I bought this router about a month or so ago and haven’t had any issues until two days ago. Magically, the router will reboot itself and not recognize the LAN/Ethernet/internet in port (light just stays red, even while the others are white again). I came across your thread by searching for the issue.

I tried the firmware update that was linked and it didn’t help. Additionally, the router logs magically get wiped after it decides to reboot, so I can’t even use the logs to figure out what’s causing the reboot.

I’m extremely disappointed (and honestly irate). I wasted $300 for a router that obviously doesn’t work.

Message 12 of 42
biancaj
Guide

Firmware - 2.3.2.40-c424a, which was linked here as something that might resolve the problem.
ISP - Comcast
Modem - Motorola Arris SB6190
WiFi neighbors - yes? Not sure how many
Channels - auto
Devices - PS4/PC hardwired, iPhone/Mac/iPad wireless

How can I find the firmware you’re now suggesting?
Message 13 of 42
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

All of the old firmwares can be downloaded here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx

And the hotfix firmware is here: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/28523-new-xr500-hotfix-firmware-for-drop-outs/

Message 14 of 42
biancaj
Guide

Thanks! The hotfix didn’t work, so I’ll try downgrading to .32 when I get home. If that fails, then what?
Message 15 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Need to find out if you can what channels your wifi neighbors are using. Adjust your router accordingly...hopefully downgrade in FW may help. 

There are known issues for your ISP modem fyi:

http://www.badmodems.com

@biancaj wrote:
Thanks! The hotfix didn’t work, so I’ll try downgrading to .32 when I get home. If that fails, then what?

Message 16 of 42
Zelcor
Aspirant

After it reboots when you unplug the network cable from the back of the modem (not router don't touch the router) and plug it back in is it working again?

@biancaj wrote:
Firmware - 2.3.2.40-c424a, which was linked here as something that might resolve the problem.
ISP - Comcast
Modem - Motorola Arris SB6190
WiFi neighbors - yes? Not sure how many
Channels - auto
Devices - PS4/PC hardwired, iPhone/Mac/iPad wireless

How can I find the firmware you’re now suggesting?

Message 17 of 42
biancaj
Guide

Well, I unplugged the modem Ethernet from the router’s side and it did start working after that (when I plugged it back in). Even though I unplugged it from the router side, it’s the same cable, so it wouldn’t matter (hopefully).

Side note: this is probably my ignorance, but I don’t understand how neighbors’ wifi would cause my router to reboot. I don’t know anything about channels, etc.. I can change them on the router, but I don’t know what my neighbors’ channels are.
Message 18 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

When in neigbhoods with other wifi routers near by and maybe a lot of them, the wifi signal tend to cause noise and interferences with other router. When the channel is set for AUTO, the Automatic function of the router is to find a working, un noise and clear channel. The router will try to find one and lock on. However if the router encounters this noise and interference from other surrouding wifi neighbors, the AUTO function will be to attempt to reboot the router and thus try to find another channel that is less noisy. Setting a manual channel stops the AUTO function. However setting a manual channel needs to be set on a channel with few of if any other wifi neighbors on the same channel. Far distance neighbors are ok when on the same channel. 

Use of Pad apps like wifi analizers that a free from app stores helps users see what surrounding them in there environment in regards to wifi nieghbors. 

@biancaj wrote:
Well, I unplugged the modem Ethernet from the router’s side and it did start working after that (when I plugged it back in). Even though I unplugged it from the router side, it’s the same cable, so it wouldn’t matter (hopefully).

Side note: this is probably my ignorance, but I don’t understand how neighbors’ wifi would cause my router to reboot. I don’t know anything about channels, etc.. I can change them on the router, but I don’t know what my neighbors’ channels are.

Message 19 of 42
biancaj
Guide

Alright, I downgraded to 2.3.2.32 and wiped/reset to factory. I went through the setup again and the issue is still happening. I can now force this issue to happen. If the router is turned off and turned back on, the internet does not work (light is red and internet doesn’t work from the router LAN/WAN). So, the issue is still there. I have an open case with netgear.
Message 20 of 42
biancaj
Guide

Alright, I did it your way just now and it does make the router start working again. At the advice of a netgear rep, I plugged the router into a different wall outlet and the issue persists.
Message 21 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Has the ISP modem been powered OFF for 30 seconds along with the XR router. Then power ON the modem and let it sync then power ON the XR router. Does this process bring the XR router to ready with internet access? 

@biancaj wrote:
Alright, I did it your way just now and it does make the router start working again. At the advice of a netgear rep, I plugged the router into a different wall outlet and the issue persists.

Message 22 of 42
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Reboots can happen if the router becomes overheated, have you ensured the vents are uncovered and it's not on a surface such as a carpet?
Message 23 of 42
Zelcor
Aspirant

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Reboots can happen if the router becomes overheated, have you ensured the vents are uncovered and it's not on a surface such as a carpet?

It's currently sittting on top of glass in my media center. I considered it could be because of overheating so I've adjusted my AC while I'm away from the apartment at work to see if it improves.

Message 24 of 42
Zelcor
Aspirant

To everyone involved I have set the channels to manual channels and am currnetly waiting to see if it'll happen again before I try changing the Firmware.

Message 25 of 42
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7