× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Reboots randomly

biancaj
Guide

Well, my issue started up again today, so the firmware downgrade didn’t help.
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 26 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

I would replace the router or ask NG support for an RMA...

@biancaj wrote:
Well, my issue started up again today, so the firmware downgrade didn’t help.

Message 27 of 42
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Agree with the above, there shouldn't be anything to cause it to reboot so it may be a faulty unit.
Message 28 of 42
biancaj
Guide

Thank you (and thank you to furry as well). I exchanged it at Best Buy for a new one since I got their plan for it (it would’ve been under netgear’s warranty, but I game a lot and didn’t want to wait for a new one). It’s set up and running smoothly so far... I’ll report back (if this thread stays open) after a few weeks. I did notice a lot of people in the amazon reviews have also had this problem. I almost got a Netgear AX8 (can’t remember the exact number, but think it’s AX8) that has the new WiFi on it, but it didn’t have the geolocation/Duma features, so I stayed with the XR500. Thank you for being patient with me. I hope this one will be great for a long time. The guy at Best Buy said his buddy had the same thing happen (and that it also came from Best Buy about a month ago). Maybe it was a bad shipment?
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 29 of 42
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yeah it might have been, thanks for the update, heres hoping it continues to work well!
Message 30 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version did it come loaded on it? Did it do a FW update? 

Be sure to do a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. 

@biancaj wrote:
Thank you (and thank you to furry as well). I exchanged it at Best Buy for a new one since I got their plan for it (it would’ve been under netgear’s warranty, but I game a lot and didn’t want to wait for a new one). It’s set up and running smoothly so far... I’ll report back (if this thread stays open) after a few weeks. I did notice a lot of people in the amazon reviews have also had this problem. I almost got a Netgear AX8 (can’t remember the exact number, but think it’s AX8) that has the new WiFi on it, but it didn’t have the geolocation/Duma features, so I stayed with the XR500. Thank you for being patient with me. I hope this one will be great for a long time. The guy at Best Buy said his buddy had the same thing happen (and that it also came from Best Buy about a month ago). Maybe it was a bad shipment?

Message 31 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 32 of 42
ngearftard
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

There are known issues for your ISP modem fyi:

http://www.badmodems.com

This. You won't get far with any modem that has an Intel Puma 6 (or 7) chipset in it. Unfixable, intermittent lag due to design flaw!

Message 33 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes we know about this. This was posted for the users information to review. 

Thanks. 

@ngearftard wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

There are known issues for your ISP modem fyi:

http://www.badmodems.com

This. You won't get far with any modem that has an Intel Puma 6 (or 7) chipset in it. Unfixable, intermittent lag due to design flaw!

Message 34 of 42
Zelcor
Aspirant

Mind if I ask why the modem would forcebly reboot the router?

I would understand there being a modem problem if I was just losing the connection but that's not what's happening here.

Also I've adjusted the wifi band channels to a static number and I've updated the firmware to that experimental one that has supposed to fix this issue.

So now it's either get an RMI and have Netgear fix or replace the modem as my final two options.

Message 35 of 42
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

It does seem unlikely that a modem could cause the downstream router to restart. This might well be a hardware issue.

Message 36 of 42
Zelcor
Aspirant

So I got the RMA done and the new router has been working great for a few days and all weekend but I awoke this morning to find the router had lost its internet connection with the Internet light at orange. Final step at this point is to fully replace the modem and pray that it's not some bizarre issue with the devices that I have connected to it which would indicate a total fault of the router.
Message 37 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Again there are known issues with Puma 6/7 chip set modems. Your 6190 was at the head of a very long discussion about this. The reboot may not be a reboot rather a loss of connection from the ISP modem to the router. Which sesm why the Internet LED is Amber and not WHITE, meaning there is a problem between the router and modem, It would not appear to be a router issue at this point.  Since you have received and RMA and it also appears to see the same problem, next item that needs to be replaced is the modem. 

Please find a Broadcom based chip set modem that your ISP supports on there network. 

https://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5&sid=822a1757ab7cfa9cdff8c1dd3733ec3b

Let us know how it goes. 

@Zelcor wrote:

Mind if I ask why the modem would forcebly reboot the router?

I would understand there being a modem problem if I was just losing the connection but that's not what's happening here.

Also I've adjusted the wifi band channels to a static number and I've updated the firmware to that experimental one that has supposed to fix this issue.

So now it's either get an RMI and have Netgear fix or replace the modem as my final two options.

Message 38 of 42
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Would reiterate above and if possible when it happens again see if you can see the modem log and if there was a disconnect.
Message 39 of 42
Zelcor
Aspirant

Will do, I'm going to monitor for a bit and see if it happens again when I'm not sleeping this time. I only came to the conclusion that it was a reboot originally because ALL lights were going out including the power light. It wasn't just the internet going from white to amber. Since I didn't see it happen this time after the RMA I don't know if it was a reboot or just a loss of connection.

Message 40 of 42
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay keep us posted!
Message 41 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try a Broadcom based modem at some point. 

@Zelcor wrote:

Will do, I'm going to monitor for a bit and see if it happens again when I'm not sleeping this time. I only came to the conclusion that it was a reboot originally because ALL lights were going out including the power light. It wasn't just the internet going from white to amber. Since I didn't see it happen this time after the RMA I don't know if it was a reboot or just a loss of connection.

Message 42 of 42
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7