× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 - Security concerns and lack of r-apps

Jonathan_canada
Aspirant

XR500 - Security concerns and lack of r-apps

Good day all, 

How is it that I spend a fair amount of money for a top of the line router and it looks to me as if i'm spending money to be a beta tester? I don't mind the DumaOS interface but there is no r-apps store available ? The apps installed are common 50$ trendnet router capabilities and i'm far from impressed. 

Also, I opened a ticket with support (which was closed before resolution) because the latest firmware (which i'll assume and hope contains all the latest security patches) is not letting all of my 60-80 devices connect to it. I've got a lot of devices and IOT and that's why I wanted to get a router with a lot of processing power. And no VLAN support?  I can't do IOT isolation with a guest network setting guys....

So now i'm running the XR500 on the second to last firmware which at least lets me connect all devices but at what security cost ? 

I want to believe that good things are coming for this router and fast, but do you know how much this router costs in Canada? 380$CAD +tax

Jonathan

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You can review the Release Notes for each FW version to see whats included here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#download

Did you perform a factory reset and setup from scratch after applying v40 update? 

The XR500 is not the top of the line anymore, the XR700 is. The XR series is mainly designed for gaminers who do alot of gaming. Not alot of gamers are using VLANs. Hybrid VPN was added on v40 FW. 

Possible having 80 devices all connected to one router maybe a bit over loading. You may need a different router for device isolation for Guest Network. Again not a lot of call for IoT isolation with home class gaming router. 

Message 2 of 11
Jonathan_canada
Aspirant

Actually I never did so many factory resets on a netgear router lol. I did a few after playing with the settings, then the firmware upgrade, then again after playing with the settings. The latest firmware doesn't let all devices connect, I would get at most 4-5 connected. 

The reason I was mentionning Guest network for IOT isolation is because it's the closest thing there is to a VLAN on that router. The only reason why I got this router is because of processing power and ram. 

20-25 of the devices connected to the router are IOT, it's not like they're taking a lot of the bandwith...

But that's besides the point, the second to last firmware accomodates all devices connected and does it well, I just don't like the fact that I can't use the latest one? 

Message 3 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@Jonathan_canada wrote:

I don't mind the DumaOS interface but there is no r-apps store available ?

"The features on DumaOS (such as the Geo-Filter) are running as R-apps as a proof of concept. We'll let everyone know when more R-apps are available 🙂 " Source: @Netduma_Jack on Twitter https://twitter.com/NETDUMA/status/1008781390693978112

@Jonathan_canada wrote:

And no VLAN support?  I can't do IOT isolation with a guest network setting guys....

Virtually all consumer device makers don't consider VLAN support for consumer network devices, for gaming routers, ... you invested in a wrong device class if you expected VLANs, flexible LAN and WLAN segregation, ... and much more.

Even the SOHO/Small Business oriented Orbi Pro WiFi for Small Business Netger does not offer VLAN support, Netgear does insist the L2/3 isolation is sufficient and can be enhanced in the future.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try a factory reset if you have v40 loaded and see if the devices will all connect. Users have been reporting problems with v40 however. 

Over all, you may have not the right router for your needs. You may want to look into the R series or something more tuned to business if your environment is more business releated. 

Message 5 of 11
Jonathan_canada
Aspirant

"...Over all, you may have not the right router for your needs. You may want to look into the R series or something more tuned to business if your environment is more business releated...." 

I have a regular house, 2 adults and 1 kid. It is not so uncommon to have 60-80 devices connected when you have a smart home these days. 

Factory resets don't do anything to fix the latest firmware issues in my case. 

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, was curious if the reset would. Sounds like a problem with v40. 

Will be up to you to keep v32 loaded. 

Ya IoT homes are growing.  

If v32 is working, then this would be something to submite a support ticket about. NG should be made aware of the differences your seeing between v32 and v40:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Message 7 of 11
Jonathan_canada
Aspirant

I'm actually at the point where Netgear Support thinks it could be a hardware issue and want me to spend 1-2 hours on the phone going through a slew of support flowcharts and honestly I don't have the time. I'll stick with v32 for now until there's  a newer version than v.40 and see if that works. It's just a shame not to have all the most recent security patches..

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible could be a HW issue. Another XR router could prove or dis-prove that. 

Good Luck for now. 

Message 9 of 11
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

NETGEAR test a tonne of devices when approving a router, so it should be able to handle your number.

If you have any specific feedback for how we can improve DumaOS, please let us know. We've got a substantial roadmap of features we are working on, so you should continue to see improvements to your router as we progress through our development milestones

Message 10 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@Netduma_Jack wrote:

NETGEAR test a tonne of devices when approving a router, so it should be able to handle your number.

So does the map of network devices show all L2/3 connected devices in the Device Manager, regardless of the connectivity by Ethernet switches, Poweline bridges, wireless distribution systems, ... and are all correctly mapped to the Netgear API for the Nighthawk App?

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7