× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Seemingly Just Rebooted Itself

ngearftard
Luminary

XR500 Seemingly Just Rebooted Itself

V2.3.2.40

Windows 10 64-bit Pro 1903

I finished typing a short reply to a post after logging into my (large) gaming clan's vBulletin forum, click to post it, and get a send-related error. Notice no Internet per Taskbar. Look at XR500 and it's rebooting. All seems well a minute later, but I've never noticed this happening before (had the router almost a year).

What is/are the possible reason(s)? Nothing in XR500 system log before reboot (normal behavior IIRC). Is it supposed to reboot itself periodically? Can a reboot be forced remotely without authorization? Will it reboot itself if my ISP resets the connection for any reason?

Thanks in advance for anyone able to take the time to respond.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 Seemingly Just Rebooted Itself

Okay that could be why, if you touch the underside of the router do you notice if it’s excessivey hot?

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

No the router can't be rebooted remotely usless you have enabled remote access and you can the access to it from a remote location. 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What channels are you using? Auto? This may have trigger a reboot as maybe having too many wifi neighbors would cause the auto feature to try to find a more less noisy channel. Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Message 2 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How do you have the router connected to power? If it is connected to a power strip and there are lots of devices connected to it then it may not have got the power it needed and therefore rebooted it. Connect it direct to the wall if possible and see if that resolves it.
Message 3 of 12
ngearftard
Luminary

Netgear CM600

1 neighbor 3/4 bars vs 4/4 per my phone

Auto on the 2.4 and 153 on the 5

Message 4 of 12
ngearftard
Luminary

Router is powered from 900W uninterruptible UPS. Total UPS load at the time was no more than 170W with about half of that via strip router is connected to.

Message 5 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is it on a surface where it may be overheating at all?
Message 6 of 12
ngearftard
Luminary

P.S. I did not have remote management enabled on the XR500.

Message 7 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is it on a surface where it could possibly overheating like on a carpet?
Message 8 of 12
ngearftard
Luminary

No, 6 ft. high on a hutch, but it's been hot as hell in the house because the ac can't keep up with the summer heat.

Message 9 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that could be why, if you touch the underside of the router do you notice if it’s excessivey hot?
Message 10 of 12
ngearftard
Luminary

It's pretty warm now, even with the house starting to cool off. Let's chalk it up to that. Will let you know if issue returns in cooler weather. Thanks for the prompt replies.

Message 11 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay great thanks, we'll reassess if it continues in the cooler weather.
Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7