× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Slow VPN Speeds NordVPN

wolf3591
Guide

XR500 Slow VPN Speeds NordVPN

On the latest firmware trying to get vpn with ps5 and win11 computer.  Got it set up in the router easy enough but when I test my speeds it is extremely slow compared to my normal download speeds.  Is that just a limitation of the router?  Is there anything I can do to speed things up?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 Slow VPN Speeds NordVPN

It's a limitation of OpenVPN and partially the router as well. You don't need high speeds for gaming so you'll have plenty for that. In regards to the PC you can apply the VPN to specific services/ports so that the rest of your PC can run through the normal connection at full speeds.
Message 2 of 6
wolf3591
Guide

OK thanks for the reply but I have to disagree on the "you don't need high speed for gaming" thing.

Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Gaming uses less than 1Mbps in most cases so it doesn't matter how much speed you have, it just won't use it, the ping is what matters most
Message 4 of 6
wolf3591
Guide

I am no expert but my personal experience with speeds says it matters.  Maybe ping and speeds go hand in hand I don't know but there is something more to it.

Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I work for Netduma, the company behind the DumaOS software on the XR500 and provide support for customers and can assure you gaming uses barely any bandwidth. Here is a video from our YouTube channel that goes into more detail on the topic (I made the video myself) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTEFJcEPGk8
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7