× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Slow Wired Speeds

Hoffman17361
Tutor

XR500 Slow Wired Speeds

I recently purchased a XR500 and Motorola MB86511 modem to replace my Xfinity XFI Modem/Router. I setup the XR500 and ram a speed test to which I constantly get around 400 Mbps download even though I’m have Gigabit internet. When I run a speed test on the NetGear Nighthawk app it shows consistent 900+ Download. Any suggestions?
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 16
plemans
Guru

Re: XR500 Slow Wired Speeds

Message 2 of 16
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Where did you run the speed test? Through Connection Benchmark, or through a third party speed test?

There are currently some innacuracies with how Connection Benchmark reports speeds, we've fixed this for the next firmware version.

If you can confirm that you're seeing full speeds through a third party speedtest, there's nothing to worry about, just configure your network speeds as normal in DumaOS and you're good to go!

Message 3 of 16
Hoffman17361
Tutor

Ive tested this through SpeedTest.net and the NetDuma Benchmark... Both show slow speeds. The only normal speed test I get is when I look on the NightHawk app which shows 900+ Mbps. I'll take more screenshots when I get off work to show multiple sites.

Message 4 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you entered the expected speeds in Bandwidth settings? Have you adjusted QoS or anything like that? Is this over WiFi or ethernet?
Message 5 of 16
Hoffman17361
Tutor

I have disabled QoS, Wired Connection, and have the bandwidth settings to 1000 down and 50 up.

Message 6 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What connection rate are you seeing on the ethernet adapter on your PC? 

What is the Brand and Model# of the ethernet adapter in this pc? 

Be sure it's drivers are up to date.

Swap out LAN cables between the PC and router. CAT6 is recommended.

@Hoffman17361 wrote:

I have disabled QoS, Wired Connection, and have the bandwidth settings to 1000 down and 50 up.

Message 7 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is your setup just the modem > XR > all devices or is there anything else? Before you do a speed test take a look at the network monitor, is there anything hogging bandwidth?
Message 8 of 16
Hoffman17361
Tutor

I wasnt able to test much last night but here are the tests I did run...

I connected the Desktop directly to the modem and ran speed tests on SpeedTest.net and Xfinitys Speed Test... every time the speed would shoot up to around 1200Mbps and then slowly drop to around 500-600 by the end of the test. I hooked everything back up to the XR500 and tested again and got the same results. I also ran speed tests on both mine and my wifes WiFi connected Iphone 13 Pro Max and recieved 500+ Mbps on each device. Obviously something is wrong when a wire device is getting the same speed as a WiFi device.

Message 9 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you're not getting the expected speeds when directly connected to the modem then you won't through the router either, that's something you'll need to talk to the ISP about.
Message 10 of 16
Hoffman17361
Tutor

How is NightHawk app picking up 900+ Mbps then? Thats what I dont understand theres so many discrepancies.

Message 11 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Its likely that your speeds are fluctuating heavily and sometimes you're able to get those higher speeds
Message 12 of 16
Hoffman17361
Tutor

Ive ran the speed test on the NightHawk app over 20 times over the past 4 days... each time has a consistent speed of over 900+. If it was fluctuating I you would think i'd see it on the app as well correct?

Message 13 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I do get what you're saying, the app is probably doing a burst test and takes the average result, which could be why it's giving a higher result. If your modem isn't getting the speeds you expect then it's impossible for the router to be getting higher speeds than the modem it outputting. The only other thing it could be is that the wired PC you're using for some reason is not able to test at those higher speeds, it could need a adapter driver update for example. Do you have another wired device you can test with?
Message 14 of 16
Hoffman17361
Tutor

I had no problem getting 900+ on the Xfinity provided Modem/Router Combo... I built my desktop a few months back with new gen parts and it connected to 1Gig internet fine. Ill test it directly connected to a laptop tonight and see what I get with that. I also ordered a Arris SB8200 to test and see if thats any better than my current modem.

Message 15 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Alright keep us posted on your results!
Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7