× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Slow ethernet fast wifi

Risqaye
Guide

XR500 Slow ethernet fast wifi

I recently purchased a Nighthawk XR500 router. When connected to my modem I'm only getting about 20mb download and like 1 upload. My wifi gets 240mb down and 20 up. I've replaced my ethernet cable and tried all four ports. I've also disabled QoS and enabled and doesn't seem to help. I've factory reset and rebooted and even left off for hours and still nothing. When connected to the modem my pc gets 300+down and 20+ up. V2.3.2.114 is my firmware version. I'm out of ideas so any help would be appreciated. My modem is a Nighthawk CM2000 and my provider is Spectrum just to help with hardware and ISP information.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you provide a screenshot as an attachment here of your Device Manager table view please?
Message 2 of 21
Risqaye
Guide

Yes sorry I just got back home.

Message 3 of 21
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Everything looks OK there, could you confirm if all devices are having this problem or is it just your PC?

How did you disable QoS? I'd suggest doing so by clicking the three-line menu in Congestion Control and tick the box 'Disable QoS'.

Another thing to check, if you go to the three-line menu in Bandwidth Allocation, is Share Excess ticked?

Message 4 of 21
Risqaye
Guide

When I get home I'll hook my Xbox one up to it and see if it's affected the same way but my pc is the only thing I use Ethernet for.

Also, I turned QoS off on the qos page. In the section above listed something like Anti-Bufferfloat.
Message 5 of 21
Risqaye
Guide

And that is checked I made sure that it was
Message 6 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you select Never on Anti-Bufferbloat or actually from the menu as Liam mentioned? It's a bit of an odd issue as there are no settings that would specifically apply to wired devices. Where are you testing the speeds exactly?
Message 7 of 21
Risqaye
Guide

I'm not at home currently so I'll let you know then but on Anti-Bufferbloat I selected never and there was an option to disable QoS and I selected it as well. I'll send a screenshot when I get home. I used speedtest.net and also other things like spectrums website and Google speed test. They all show about the same. I got it up to around 80-100mbs download but it's still only about 1.5mb upload. It's odd bc that's still significantly slower than my wifi. I'll also hook an Xbox up and see what it reads. I bought a cat-6 cable yesterday but it didn't seem to make a difference, I've got a cat-8 thats being delivered today but I doubt that's gonna fix it.
Message 8 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did this behavior happen basically as soon as you connected the router or did it happen after a few days for example? Some ISPs can be a bit funny when you get a new router and this can lower speeds, odd that the WiFi is great but worth a try - copy the MAC address of your previous router and set that as the XR router MAC address in Internet Setup, then reboot from the interface, wait 2 minutes and try a wired speed test
Message 9 of 21
Risqaye
Guide

It happened as soon as I plugged the router in. I'll try that also when I get home and see what that does. I was using a modem/router before, it was a Netgear C7000 but I would get random lag spikes so I decided to get the gaming router/modem to be able to dedicate bandwidth. It seems like the modem is working fine , I get the right download speed when I hook to it directly so I'll hook the other one up when I get time tonight and get the Mac address
Message 10 of 21
Risqaye
Guide

I changed the MAC address like you said, no difference. Also, here is the place I was using to turn off QoS. I'm about to hook up the xbox and see what the speeds look like on it.

Message 11 of 21
Risqaye
Guide

I'm getting around 220Mbs download on Xbox and 15 upload, on my pc I'm still getting like 40mb download and 1.5 upload. Could it be something on my pc? I didn't have a problem with the old router but maybe something is clashing? 

Message 12 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for that, all good on where you disabled QoS previously. Odd that it does seem to be that one device. Go to Network & Internet on the PC > Change Adapter Options > Right click ethernet and select properties. First thing, untick Internet Protocol Version 6 (you may lose internet briefly while you do this, that is fine), then click Configure at the top. Click Driver then Update driver and see if it is up to date. After that go to Advanced, now it might be named differently for you depending on your ethernet card but you're looking for something like Speed & Duplex. Click on that, then on value let us know what it says - it might be limited or it might be on Auto Negotiation which could be the problem, change it to the highest value which should be at least 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex then click ok. Once you've done that test your speeds again
Message 13 of 21
Risqaye
Guide

I unticked Protocol Version 6, the driver was up to date, and speed and duplex was on Auto Negotiation. I changed it to 1GBS and after all this tested again with the same results. 

Message 14 of 21
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Interesting, out of interest have you always had the PC connected to the same ethernet port on the XR500? If so, could you try a different ethernet port? 

Message 15 of 21
Risqaye
Guide

I've tried all for ports with the same results , I tried that first before I posted here hoping that would be it.
Message 16 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Upgrade to the latest beta version and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't then make a Traffic Controller rule and allow ALL traffic to the PC and see if the speeds increase: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/New-Firmware-v2-3-2-120-XR500/td-p/...
Message 17 of 21
Risqaye
Guide

Ok I'll do that when I get home and let you know what happens.
Message 18 of 21
Risqaye
Guide

I tried both of those things and neither worked. I went and got a Nighthawk ax4200 from Walmart and hooked it up and got my speeds instantly. Not sure why my computer and the nighthawk xr500 are clashing, I'll see how this router does and if I like it I'll just stick with it but I may try to still get the xr500 to work if you have any more suggestions?

Message 19 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay intriguing, as a test, could you put the PC LAN IP in the DMZ on the XR in WAN Settings, then run a test please?
Message 20 of 21
Risqaye
Guide

Yeah sure thing. It may be this weekend when I try this when I have more time to look at it but I'll do it and let you know what it does. I appreciate all the help so far.
Message 21 of 21
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7