× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Speed/Bandwidth Allocation not working .. ..

Wizardofnos07
Aspirant

XR500 Speed/Bandwidth Allocation not working .. ..

I have a dedicated connection of 600down/30up to my Xbox One X.

My XR500 is hooked up to a cable-modem that is run in bridge mode for complete pass-through.

I have no other devices running through this connection (I have a separate isp connection for the rest of the household), except my laptop to run the router management program and make router adjustments, wifi on the XR500 is turned off, and I have the latest firmware on the XR500 (very nice features added, by the way!).

Now, my problem is a little backwards from what most people would be asking. I have no problems whatsoever in achieving my up/down speeds, as a matter of fact, I have seen speeds higher than advertised from my isp. I pay for 600 download and seen speeds higher than 750!

So here's the problem, I play Call of Duty WWII, I am located in Alberta, Canada and have realized that distance from the Xbox Live server is directly relevant to my gaming experience. The closest server to me is Seattle, but have played the Texas, Indiana, Pennsylvania and California servers. If you know anything about the crappy call of duty servers, you know they have a built-in lag-compensater (for people with less than stellar internet connections). Players I see that are clustered directly around the server (they live in or near the server city) are just absolutely slaying the lobbies constantly, regardless of their connection!!, and me with an awesome connection and ping rate of 25 in Seattle, 32 in Indiana, and 45 in Texas am just getting my a** handed to me (bullets pass right through the other player, or I just flash to death)  ..  ..  unless I throttle down my connection (then the lag-compensater kicks in, and I slay as good as they do! my games are amazing). HERES THE ACTUAL PROBLEM (finally right, lol), when I throttle down my connection to the Xbox with the XR500, (reduce the bandwidth to only allow 3 up and 3 down to the console, it only sometimes works. Some days it will throttle down my connection, and when I run a speed test on the console I see the numbers I've desired. Other days like the last 2 or 3, I still see full speeds on the download side. I can even fully cut off the Xbox and set the router to zero bandwidth /MB's, but am still seeing over 600 download when I run the speedtest on the console. (The upload always seems to adjust as desired, it's always on the download side). This has been going on since day one and the inconsistency is very frustrating. I have tried everything, made dozens and dozens of adjustments, turned qos off/on, checked/unchecked share excess, checked/unchecked goodput, bufferbloat at 70% (or 80% or a 100%), prioritized, not prioritized, factory reset the router countless times, and it's always the same. Sometimes the router will throttle back my connection as desired(and my gaming is just stellar!), and other times (which is most of the time) I get my full download speed no matter what I put the setting to.

Is there something I am missing here? Not setting something right? Why when I completely cut off the Xbox (set the Bandwidth Allocation to zero) do I still see download speeds over 600??

Sorry for the very longwinded post, but I am getting very frustrated with the inconsistency of the settings not taking or holding, and any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi there. Do you have Anti-Bufferbloat set to 'Always' mode? If it's in 'High Priority Traffic Detected Mode' it will only take affect when you're playing a game, which would explain why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Regardless, I recommend you go through this guide just to make sure everything is setup how you like it: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000077073-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-qos

Message 2 of 9
Wizardofnos07
Aspirant

Hi there,

Yes, I do have it set to "Always" mode.

Should I be setting it to "When high priority traffic detected" instead?

I'll go through the guide here real quick, thank you.

Message 3 of 9
Wizardofnos07
Aspirant

Also, does it still make a difference what percentage I have the Anti-bufferbloat set to knowing that I have no other devices or traffic on this network, as it's a dedicated gaming connection only?

Same question for the setting of "Always" or "Only when high priority traffic detected", because again there is no other traffic on this connection.

Thanks 

Message 4 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Always mode is fine. The percentage isn't as important given your situation. Do you use IPv6, PPPoE or VLAN by any chance?
Message 5 of 9
Wizardofnos07
Aspirant

Hi,

As far as I know, I use IPv6 

Message 6 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you try disabling IPv6 please and see if that fixes the issue
Message 7 of 9
Wizardofnos07
Aspirant

Okay, I'll try that now.

Xbox will give me a message that gaming is improved with IPv6 enabled.

SHould I just ignore that? Does IPv6 make gaming any better or quicker?

Message 8 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes I would ignore it, no tangible benefit as far as I am aware.
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7