× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Still experience considerable lagging in game.

Consumer0129383
Luminary

XR500 Still experience considerable lagging in game.

I have the XR500 Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router. Listed below is a rundown of information that will (hopefully) help someone aid me in resolving my issues.

Firmware:XR500 V2.3.2.40

ISP: Google Fiber 1Gb Speeds

Gaming System: PS4 Pro wired connection

So, I purchased this router a few days ago and connected it to my network. Setup seemed to be relatively painless. All of my devices connected pretty easily. But, what I am having a lot of problems with is lag (still). I purchased this particular router because of the Geo Filter, QoS, and the DumasOS functionality. Which stated that it would crush lag. 

Specific Problems:

1. Severe and random lag spikes

2. Random disconnects from the server

3. Seeing an enemy and dying instantly

4. Problems hosting games (zombies)

5. Lagging in zombies even while hosting

6. Connecting to servers that return a Ping of 15-40ms but in game being well over that 60-143ms

7. as well as other problems associate with poor connection i.e, rubberbanding, COD timing, and character out right not being on screen.

My SETUP:

Since I have Google Fiber I am required to keep their network box in the mix. Which does not have a true bridge mode so I shut off wifi on the Google Fiber network box and assigned a static IP to the XR500. I also, put it in DMZ. I did this because when I ran the PS4 connection test it would read as OpenNat or Type 2 but in game remained moderate. Putting it into DMZ fixed this. 

Geo-Filter is set to the Call of Duty Profile

QoS has the PS4 as a priority 

Am I missing something? Should I just return it? Really frustrated at this point.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Consumer0129383
Luminary

I just returned it.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable QoS and AntiBufferBloat and see how it goes. If your on a 1Gb ISP service line, gaming should be good and you really don't need QoS on a service line at this speeds. You can try enabling QoS and manully inputting 1000/1000 for the up and down speeds. 

Message 2 of 9
Consumer0129383
Luminary

Thanks for the reply. When I got the service I thought that having such speeds would easily fix any of the issues I was having while gaming. But, sadly that wasn't the case. The XR500 has made it only marginally better. But, wouldn't disabling those features essentially be like having the same setup I had before spending 300 dollars?

Additionally, I have tried adjusting the badwidth but not without the DumasOS on so I will try that and let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

QoS has been under debate on weather it makes any difference on a pipe as big as 1Gb. Remember the max bandwidth in games isn't that big. I've seen xbox games use 5Mb on some CoD games. Maybe newer games use a bit more. Also remember that QoS is meant for the Upstream mostly. Handling of many upstream data traffic with multiple devices is priority. Espeically on slower ISP speeds, 200 and lower. 1Gb speeds, kind of seems like there is no need for much management if you only have a few devices online at the same time. I had 1Gb service last year with my XR and a few other routers. Never had a need to use QoS on it. 

Message 4 of 9
Consumer0129383
Luminary

Ok. So, I reconfigured the XR500 settings how you suggested and it doesn't make a difference. I'm still lagging and my ping is all over the place. Although some (very few) are as stable as I've seen it. But what gets me is that no matter what I try I still experience connectivity issues. 

If you have any other suggestions that may possibly help I love to hear them.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem/ONT that the XR router is connected too? 

I would test gaming directly with the modem to see if you notice anything different. 

I would take a wired PC and use pingplotter.com and test with the pc directly connected to the modem, then test again with the PC and XR connected. 

I would also downgrade FW to v32 on the XR500 as well...factory reset and setup from scratch. Do this off line with the XR from the ISP modem so it doesn't update FW. Disable the auto check update. Then connected back to the ISP modem. 

Message 6 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would first figure out if your connection is stable when just connected to the Google box by performing the test above. Would suggest doing it at different times throughout the day as it can vary. If everything is good on that end and the Geo-Filter is reporting good pings then thats not the issue. The in game ping includes things like processing delay etc that all games have so nothing can be done about that, it's part of playing online. Some games choose to include this in their ping calculation, some don't. I would suggest forcing servers that may be slightly further away to see if they play any better.
Message 7 of 9
Consumer0129383
Luminary

I just returned it.

Message 8 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Really sorry to hear that, we may have been able to resolve the issue with further diagnosis. We do hope you'll consider us again, perhaps after the release of DumaOS 3.0.
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7