× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Stuck on 90mbps down on 350mbps down connection

AlexPausteck
Tutor

XR500 Stuck on 90mbps down on 350mbps down connection

Any time I need to downloand something quickly, I need to restart the router. This is happening on two different router firmware's.  Is this a known issue. My router hasn't acted 'normal' since purchase a few months ago. Becuase of this bug.. Qos doesn't work like it should.

I've been hoping for firmware to fix this issue, but nothing seems to have materialized yet. Any ideas how to procede? I don't think constant rebooting is an acceptable solution to this issue.

Thanks,

Alex

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi Alex - are you testing this wired or wirelessly?

The reason I ask, is 2.4GHz WiFi is usually limited to around 90mbps, so my guess would be that you are testing with a device that has connected to the 2.4GHz band. If you repeat the test wired, do you then get full speeds?

Message 2 of 7
AlexPausteck
Tutor

Wired, QoS disabled. I have wireless devices connected, though. I'd hope the LAN connection is not somehow being defaulted to the highest throughput of my WIFI connection. Only reason I bring that up as a theory - 

- I work from home. During the day when I'm the only user, a reboot would bring my LAN speeds back to 350mbps down.

- At night with other bandwidth users when I rebooted, my LAN speeds stayed at 90mbps down. 

Message 3 of 7
AlexPausteck
Tutor

Turning the Wifi radio off in advanced settings and rebooting did not fix it. So scratch that theory.

Message 4 of 7
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

What speeds do you get from your modem when it’s at 90mbps? The fact you’re getting a fluctuation could mean your ISP has issues at peak times. So it’d be good to know where the bottleneck is. The fact you have disabled QoS means it’s not a DumaOS issue. Either it’s the router hardware, or probably more likely, it’s something else.
Message 5 of 7
AlexPausteck
Tutor

It is not a fluctuation of ISP. If i remove the router and hook up to the modem directly, I get full bandwith - 340mbps down. The problem is the router. Even when going though setup wizard, it will do the speed test, tell me I have a 340mbps down connection and still get stuck on 90mbps down. 

Unfortunately - the solution was to buy a new router. Speeds came back instantly. I'd be ok to donate the XR500 if you think it would help trouble-shoot. It was paired with an ARIS SB 32x8 3.1 modem.

Message 6 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can you include a screenshot of your QoS settings please? There may be some issues with the setup.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7