× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 The operation is taking longer than expected. Please briefly wait before using this R-App.

XR500_Issues
Guide

XR500 The operation is taking longer than expected. Please briefly wait before using this R-App.

R-Apps would not load with FW XR500-V2.3.2.56.  Tried factory reset, changing timeout from 3 to 5 and cleaning cache on Chrome and Firefox with no luck. Logging in with a different computer on LAN did not work either.  Downgraded to FW XR500-V2.3.2.40 and the R-Apps work again. @Netduma-Fraser is there a bugfix for V2.3.2.56?  I found nothing in the logs that would indicate a problem. Other info: Win10 64 bit with latest Firefox and Chrome.  Using PC as Playstation in Geofilter.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 The operation is taking longer than expected. Please briefly wait before using this R-App.

Does it show the whole interface as a white page showing R-Apps not loading or is it on a per page basis? If it's the former you should be able to upgrade back as it was a temporary error on our side that has been fixed. If the latter do you have a Nintendo Switch? If so change the device type in the Device Manager to a different console, does that fix the issue?
Message 2 of 26
XR500_Issues
Guide

Thanks for your quick reply.  With FW 2.3.2.56 it shows a red background and spinning for each of the R-Apps on each of the pages (QoS, Geofilter, Device Manager, Network Monitor) until "the operation is taking longer..." message comes up.  This does not happen with FW 2.3.2.40 which I downgraded to earlier today.  I am connecting directly to the router IP.  I only have PC's, Roku and Apple phones on the network.  I am using the Playstation profile for the PC because the PC profile does not Geofilter for Destiny 2, whereas the Playstation profile seems to work ok.

Message 3 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When did the issue start happening? Do you access using HTTP or HTTPS? Does it occur on any other browsers?
Message 4 of 26
XR500_Issues
Guide

Issue started happening with the update to FW 2.3.2.56.  I used http:// for the connection to the router.  It occured on Chrome and Firefox on two different PC's.  I cleaned the cache on both Chrome and Firefox.

Message 5 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How did you do the factory reset before, via the interface or the backside of the router? I would recommend you do it from the interface if you didn't before. In System Information what is the CPU usage like?
Message 6 of 26
XR500_Issues
Guide

Backside of router.  CPU sits around 50% most of the time.

Message 7 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

CPU is fine so that is odd, could you do a reset from the interface instead please? If it doesn't work after that, on the interface on one of the affected pages/panels right click the page and click inspect element. On the window that appears click the console tab and take a screenshot of the entire page. I can then pass that on to our developers to have a look at.
Message 8 of 26
XR500_Issues
Guide

Seems to be working now.  Will let you know in a few days.

Message 9 of 26
XR500_Issues
Guide

Happening again but not as bad. How do I PM you the text console capture?

Message 10 of 26
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

You should be able to PM either me or Fraser from our profile pages on Netgear. If the image can't be uploaded, you may need to host it somewhere else, or just copy the text. As a last resort you could send it to our email inbox at netduma@netduma.com

Message 11 of 26
XR500_Issues
Guide

Sent text from console.  Thanks for the help.

Message 12 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the console output, I think we'll need to pass this on to the devs to see if they can see the cause.
Message 13 of 26
XR500_Issues
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser  I just thought of something as I was updating my Killer Network Control Center.  Could there be any conflict between the DumaOs packet priorities and KCC Advanced Stream Detect?

Message 14 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's actually a very good point, we haven't tested with specialized NICs like this. Are you able to disable the Killer features momentarily and see if that resolves the issue?
Message 15 of 26
XR500_Issues
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser I tested it off and on for a while and it doesn't seem to make any difference.  I might have a flakey router though because I lose internet every few weeks and can't get it back unless I factory reset.

Message 16 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You definitely shouldn't need to do that. When the internet goes off does that affect all devices? Can you connect to the interface when that happens?
Message 17 of 26
XR500_Issues
Guide

It affects all devices.  I plugged directly into the cable modem and internet was fine. After rebooting the cable modem and router, the internet would not come back up through the router.  I even tried the setup wizard again after rebooting and it said I wasn't connected to the internet.

Message 18 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It might be a good idea to make a ticket with Netgear about that one. Do you change anything or does anything specific happen on the network prior to the reset? Do you unplug the router for example?
Message 19 of 26
XR500_Issues
Guide

No.  It just goes out suddenly.

Message 20 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd definitely make a ticket with Netgear in that case. If you don't get very far let us know the ticket number and we can ask NG to take it higher.
Message 21 of 26
XR500_Issues
Guide

Thanks.  I'll make a ticket when it happens again.

Message 22 of 26
DalDestructo
Aspirant

I've just started to have the exact same issue, my r apps wont load and my internet seems to cut out for a brief period every couple of minutes

Message 23 of 26
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

First try plugging the router directly into the wall, then do a factory reset from the interface or by holding the button down in the back of the router for 30 seconds and see if you experience the same after that please.
Message 24 of 26
XR500_Issues
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser  Checking back in. It's been 3 months before the internet went out again on the router and the internet led on the front panel is fast blinking red.  Reboot of cable modem and router did not fix. Netgear won't send me another router while I wait for them to checkout and fix this one so I can't afford the down time. What worked for me this time was to change the MAC ID of the router. Power down the cable modem. Reboot the router. Power on the cable modem. Release and renew IP from connection status GUI. Factory reset is no longer available from the GUI, only the back panel.

Message 25 of 26
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7