× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Trend Micro HouseCall for networking reporting problems.

WacoJohn
Luminary

XR500 Trend Micro HouseCall for networking reporting problems.

Been having some WiFi networking problems and I ran Trend Micro's House Call free utility.  After it scanned the network, a window popped:

Network Error E0FF001

but gives no hint what that means or how to fix it.  TM's community forum ... don't see any way to join it at their website.  Google search no joy.

Ran a different House Call product.  It comes up with the following, and I have no clue what to do about it either.  Any help is GREATLY appreciated.:

Message 1 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As far as I can tell the screenshot you've provided is just reporting that there is a port open. Have you done any port forwarding/used DMZ etc? What exactly are the WiFi issues you've been experiencing?
Message 2 of 11
WacoJohn
Luminary

Yes, Sir.  It is an SMB port and the Trend Micro describes it as a 'risk' ... commonly used for Ransomware instrusions.  Oddly enough, my research says it is a setting that GearHead told me to set in order to access my USB drive on the router.  These are those instructions (which I assume is what is turning on that port):

Go to gpedit.msc
Under Group policy editor access the following :-
->Computer configuration\administrative templates\network\Lanman Workstation
->"Enable insecure guest logons"

#Go to services.msc
The following should to set to Automatic[Delayed Start]
->Function Discovery Provider Host
->Function Discovery Resource Publication

#Go to Programs and features
Under Turn on Windows Features
->SMB-1.0 File sharing and support all three items should be enabled.

It is more the other error given ...     E0FF0007 which I find NO information on ... anywhere.

Problems are Explorer stops responding (99% of the time) whenever I have it access that USB drive attached to the router  (which is mapped to M:).  I have other machines set up the same way with no problems at all.  Almost ready to do a W10 install from an .iso file.

Message 3 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I couldn't help with that error fortunately as it's not something I'm familiar with. I wouldn't worry about the port. So less WiFi issue more an issue with ReadyShare really? Is the USB one of the drives supported by the XR500? You can find out here: https://kb.netgear.com/18985/Will-my-USB-drive-work-with-ReadySHARE
Message 4 of 11
WacoJohn
Luminary

I think what I need is Trend Micro support, but can't seem to get it without purchasing one of their products.  Housecall (as you probably know) is a 'powerful' online secuirty scanner and is free.

1.  At this point, I intend to install W10-32 anew from an .iso.  Hopefully that will fix the Explorer response problem.

2.  Yes, the problem is with ReadyShare ON THAT ONE MACHINE, ... Explorer stops responding the moment I try to access it.  4 other machines.  fine ... no problem.  Yes, the drive is approved.

3.  Ran Housecall on the other machines.  Comes up with the same SMB warning.  Guess best to ignore that.  Housecall for network is another 'free' utility.  If you tell Housecall to include network in its scan, it downloads Housecall for network.  THAT is what reports the port 'problem' ... but it is also reporting SEVERAL devices using the router that I do not recognize ... at all.  VERY worrysome to me.  Each notes an IP address.  They are:

Everex PC (don't own one)

GoPod PC (I think it is an IOS 'thing')  I don't own one.

Realtek PC (I have some Realtek hardware ... adapters but no Realtek PC

Duratek Enterprise Device (Have no idea what this is)

All other listed devices I recognize.  I realize you don't support Housecall.  Wish I could get some from Trend Micro.  However, I thought maybe accessing Duma might tell me somethinng about these devices and even the port thing (now, the devices more than anything else).  I apologize.  All I have is suspicions about problems (devices mainly) and don't know what, if anything, to do about them.

Message 5 of 11
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

They may have community forums like this that you can go to for help as well. I'd suggest making a ticket with Netgear as well as they may be able to help with ReadyShare.
Message 6 of 11
WacoJohn
Luminary

Thank you for your valuable time.  Trend has a community forum, but I do not find a way to join it.  Since I have a Gearhead contract, it appears I can't get any help from Netgear support.  From what I can tell, I have to go through them which I may end up doing.  I appreciate your efforts.  thanks again.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What kind of WiFi problems are you having? 

Stop using this House Call tool if you can't get support for it. Contact the Mfr about it. 

Message 8 of 11
WacoJohn
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What kind of WiFi problems are you having? 

Stop using this House Call tool if you can't get support for it. Contact the Mfr about it. 

You may have a good point.  Been jusing HouseCall for years, ... but it is now updated. 

I was not clear.  Not actually having problems with WiFi but with Readyshare.  Being HouseCall has a 'network' scan in it, thought it would help me with Explorer stopped responding whenever I access Readyshare .... on that machine only.  No problem  on other machines.  HouseCall is throwing a couple of peculiar errors ... and in fact, different install results.  One time it gives the mystery error, next time it opens to an unusable window.  Solid red, no minimize/restore down/close buttons.

I finally was able to send an email to Trend Support.  Waiting for a response.

Back to the main problem .... Explorer stops responding whenever I try to access Readyshare.

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Any differences between the one PC that isn't working and the others that do work? 

Are PCs wired or wireless connected? 

I would compare any differences with the one PC that is failing and one PC that works. 

Be sure that any security programs are disabled while troubleshooting. 

Try safe mode with networking enabled. 

Maybe this house call progeam error will lead you to the problem on this one PC when the Mfr responds to you. 

Message 10 of 11
WacoJohn
Luminary

some big differences.  Problem machine is a w10-32 tablet running in desktop mode.  A while back, it ran fine .. no Readyshare problems.  Suddenly, Explorer started to fail when accessing Readyshare.  I reinstalled W10-32 from an iso.  No fix.  (Hardware problem??).  It is WiFi only.  Other machines are Ethernet.

HouseCall acts goofy as H on all machines.  Still waiting to hear back from Trend Micro on that.  Since HouseCall has a networking scan, I thought it might help with the Explorer problem.  It has introduced more confusion than I started with.

Thank you for the suggestions.  Will try those that are practical.

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7