× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Update Question

Retired_Member
Not applicable

XR500 Update Question

I have a question about updating on the xr500. Do I need to factory reset first before updating or update first then factory reset? Also What seems to be the most stable firmware right now?
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 Update Question

It's been out for awhile so it's quite stable, if you aren't having any issues on your current version and you don't want to rock the boat then you could stay on your version. Just keep in mind you may not have the latest security fixes.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 18

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Afterwards. 

I recommend setting the DHCP default IP address pool size to .100 to .200 after you factory reset and setup from scratch. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 2 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I’m using the cm700 modem
Message 3 of 18
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK sounds good, feel free to complete the steps @FURRYe38 recommends and you should be good to go!

Message 4 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Do I need to factory reset before update or after?
Message 5 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Also I’m trying to find the best firmware out right now. Any suggestions?
Message 6 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Afterwards. 

Message 7 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Ok you still didn’t answer my 2nd question. Which firmware is most stable currently or what would you suggest? Don’t know why support is so hard to get around here.
Message 8 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Try what's currently loaded on the router, "if the router works, don't fix it." 

Message 9 of 18
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

It's always suggested to use the latest, which your router should already be running if it's auto-updated. Which firmware version are you currently running?

Message 10 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

V2.3.2.114
Message 11 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The latest is .134 so you can manually do it by downloading the file here: https://kb.netgear.com/000064857/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-134 then uploading it in Settings > Administration > Firmware Update on the interface or go to the same place and allow it to auto upgrade
Message 12 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Is that firmware stable? I heard 120 is stable for some people but i guess it all depends. Are you currently using the latest with no problems? Reason i ask is because this router is meant for heavy gaming usage so I wanna make sure the router is stable enough to give me a good experience
Message 13 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's been out for awhile so it's quite stable, if you aren't having any issues on your current version and you don't want to rock the boat then you could stay on your version. Just keep in mind you may not have the latest security fixes.
Message 14 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thank you
Message 15 of 18
Killhippie
Prodigy

Its always best to have the latest security fixes, nobody wants their router hacked or their LAN hijacked because you didn't keep up with the latest updates for security. Always try and stay up to date, your router is being scanned 24/7 for ways in thats just the way the net is, keep those doors locked the best way you can by staying up to date, stability means nothing if you router becomes part of a botnet!

Message 16 of 18
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I get using the latest update is best security wise. But what about stable wise? Not every latest update will be stabler than the update before.
Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Last few prior versions saw some odd issues with the router mysteriously stop working for unknown reasons. Setting DHCP IP address range to .100 to .150 or .200 seem to help prevent that. I saw this on my 450 and once I changed the range, worked fine. 

Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7