× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Upload Speed is in single digits on gigabit internet

Consumer0129383
Luminary

XR500 Upload Speed is in single digits on gigabit internet

Ok, My XR500 is producing lower speeds than expected. Ran a speed test and my Ping is 14ms, Download is 793.65, and upload is 8.94. On the google fiber network box alone I get 900's on both upload and download and my ping is 1ms. I had the XR500 hundred running through the network box and the upload speeds were suffering. I was able to bypass the network box altogether but it didn't help the upload or download speeds. 

Do I have some settings to adjust? Is my router faulty? Can anyone help me with this situation? Also, I have tried the test wired and wireless; with and without QoS and antibuffer bloat it doesn't help. But when I disconnected it and used only the network box it was fine. This wasn't the issue when I initially connected it either. This is a recent development as of a week or less.

Board Model NETGEAR XR500

Firmware Version V2.3.2.56

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 43

Accepted Solutions
Intrickit27
Aspirant

Was having the same problem. It's them. My router has been collecting dust for 10 months now and i can't find a local buyer. $300 down the drain. I switch to my isp's modem/router because it's giving higher download and upload speeds in my Xbox network test. Even downloading games my speed detection is like 4-5 times higher. What really suffers is the upload speed detection. Ipay for a gig up and down. Getting 800-900 down and about 300 to 500 up with my isp's box. I get around 700-800 down with xr500, but only 20 upload max. I've tried everything. Also, downloading games with xr500 60-140mbps. Isp box between 230-360ish.

View solution in original post

Message 40 of 43

All Replies
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

So the speeds stay low even when you disable QoS? I mean by opening the anti-bufferbloat side menu and ticking the Disable QoS box.

Message 2 of 43
Consumer0129383
Luminary

Yes.

Message 3 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Has anything changed since it was working? What is the exact physical setup you're using right now?
Message 4 of 43
Consumer0129383
Luminary

Right now the XR500 is the only modem/router supplying a connection to my devices wired or wireless.

Message 5 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the XR500 connected to that provides it with internet? ONT, modem, wall connection?
Message 6 of 43
Consumer0129383
Luminary

A wall connection that converts the light signal Google calls it the Fiber jack.

Message 7 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm assuming with that there is no Google interface to access? Change the MAC address of the XR500 to the previous Google box MAC address please then reboot and see if that helps.
Message 8 of 43
Consumer0129383
Luminary

I can still access the Google Interface. I've changed the mac address and it didn't seem to make a difference. 

Message 9 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you tried a factory reset since this occurred? If not please do so and resetup the router and see if it still continues.
Message 10 of 43
Consumer0129383
Luminary

Just did a factory reset and going through setup. The XR500's speedtest is coming back way off from what I should be getting.

Message 11 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's fine, sometimes it can't detect it correctly. Just make sure to put in your expected speeds and then see if you get them after setup. If not disable QoS again in Anti-BB options.
Message 12 of 43
Consumer0129383
Luminary

Disable the QoS and still the same. Are there settings in configuring this thing that I'm missing or am I crazy in thinking that my ISP is doing this?

Message 13 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

There shouldn't be anything else on the router that could throttle it like this if QoS isn't being used. It's possible, you said the speeds still dropped when using their box connected to the router correct? Do you know if they allow third party routers?
Message 14 of 43
Consumer0129383
Luminary

They strongly argue against.

Message 15 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm sure they do, what is the model of the box? There may be others that have had the issue when using a third party router.
Message 16 of 43
Consumer0129383
Luminary

The Google Fiber Box? It's a GFRG200. 

Message 17 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thank you, how have you bypassed the GFR, by using a dumb switch? Are you certain that switch doesn't have any QoS rules enabled?
Message 18 of 43
Consumer0129383
Luminary

Changing the VLAN/Bridge Settings to match the Network Box. It connected. 

Message 19 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It seems based on this topic that it may be beneficial to use a switch in front of the router to handle VLAN which may then enable you to get the full speeds on the XR500: https://www.reddit.com/r/googlefiber/comments/aclx85/list_of_all_routers_that_can_bypass_google_fibe...
Message 20 of 43
Consumer0129383
Luminary

That seems unneccessary. Doesn't the XR500 have those capabilities or at least enough to configure the device to not need a switch at all? Especially considering it works. I'd really hate to have to spend $60+ to maybe get my internet optimized for streaming and gaming. I'd prefer to exhaust the capablilities of this $300 router before spending anything else. At this point I should problably look at returning the router. Which I hate becuase Google's network box is wholly insufficent for gaming and at times the number of devices that stream on my network.

Message 21 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

The is a combo ISP modem and router already:

https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/4584585

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Message 22 of 43
Consumer0129383
Luminary

The is a combo ISP modem and router already:

https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/4584585

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

I've done all of this. The issue now is slow speeds when just the XR500 is running the internet.

Under vlan/bridge settings:

Enable vlan/bridge group checked

By vlan tag group ticked

Name Internet Vlan id 2 Priority 2 wired ports/wireless set to all

These settings allow me to bypass the network box completely (more specifically the vlan id set to 2) the priority setting seems to effect the download/upload speeds for some reason. at these settings my Dn is 360+/- and the Up is 650+/- ping is still way higher than should be at 17ms sometimes higher.

Message 23 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So you're saying changing priority affects the speeds you're getting? If you change it to the highest priority what do you get?
Message 24 of 43
Consumer0129383
Luminary

Haven't tried it yet. But 0,1,3,4 seem to make my upload much lower. 2 is the only setting that seems to bring it up.

I'll try 7 and let you know what I get.

Message 25 of 43
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7