× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Upload Speed is in single digits on gigabit internet

Consumer0129383
Luminary

Re: XR500 Upload Speed is in single digits on gigabit internet

So, changing it to 7 seemed to break it. As you can see from the screenshot of the speedtest.

Message 26 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay thanks for that, could you go back to using the Google Box > XR500 so the XR500 doesn't handle VLAN anymore and ensure Google Box is in bridge mode then QoS entirely off and also try different ethernet ports on the router and see if the speed improves at all please.
Message 27 of 43
Consumer0129383
Luminary

I'll try that again as that's what I was doing before the XR500 only setup. Also the Fiber Network box doesn't have a bridge mode the best I can do is shut off the wifi and DMZ the XR500.

Message 28 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That will be fine, let us know how you get on with that. Does the Google Box have its own QoS at all? If so also disable that completely.
Message 29 of 43
Consumer0129383
Luminary

So, moving the setup back to the Fiber Network Box/XR500 combo returned my DN/UP to the expected numbers. That's wired and all QoS functionality disabled. No the Fiber Box does not have any functionality besides modem/router hence the reason for the XR500 purchase.

Message 30 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay that's great! So either an issue with Google not liking you replacing their box or a VLAN issue on the XR. That setup is still good though and you'll be able to get an open NAT playing games. You can keep QoS disabled unless you want it but you're unlikely to get any local congestion with those speeds.
Message 31 of 43
Consumer0129383
Luminary

Yeah. But, my real problem is lag. I switched to Fiber thinking it would solve my lag problem it hasn't. So, I purchased this router thinking it would solve those issues as well. And it has for the most part except Google's modem/router. If my speeds weren't suffering with just the XR500 and a little tweaking I am sure I could be lag free (well as close as one could get anyway). I experience severe ping spikes and lagging. It's tiresome to say the least. But, I guess that's where I am at until I switch companies or some other option makes itself known to me.

Message 32 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay well now the speeds are back and working re-enable QoS. Try with 'When High Priority Traffic Detected' and 70% for both download & upload sliders and for Traffic Prioritization keep DumaOS Classified Games enabled. Also what games are you trying to play and on what platform? Are you using the Geo-Filter?
Message 33 of 43
Consumer0129383
Luminary

I'm playing Black Ops 4 on the PS4 Pro. Yes, I do use the GeoFilter the setup you suggested is how I set it up when I first got the XR500.

Message 34 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay great, don't forget if the server isn't great you can force different servers by adjusting your Geo-Filter home location/radius. How is it now using QoS?
Message 35 of 43
Consumer0129383
Luminary

Still laggy with tremendous ping spikes. But it's better than without the XR500. Sidenote: I don't really like putting the router in DMZ to get rid of double nat especially when it doesn't help the lag issue.

Message 36 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If that is the case then I would do a Ping Plotter test when directly connected to the Google Box as it sounds like your line may not be stable. You can then use the results to take to Google. It's fine to do so as the XR500 has its own built in firewall.
Message 37 of 43
Consumer0129383
Luminary

How would I do that on the PS4? Or would plotting it through my Mac do the samething? If so, how would I do a ping plotter? 

I am assuming you are telling me that it's fine to DMZ the XR500?

Message 38 of 43
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yeah you would do it through the Mac, here's a guide on how to do it: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-how-to-test-your-internet-ping

Yes it is fine to have the XR500 in the DMZ of the Google Box.
Message 39 of 43
Intrickit27
Aspirant

Was having the same problem. It's them. My router has been collecting dust for 10 months now and i can't find a local buyer. $300 down the drain. I switch to my isp's modem/router because it's giving higher download and upload speeds in my Xbox network test. Even downloading games my speed detection is like 4-5 times higher. What really suffers is the upload speed detection. Ipay for a gig up and down. Getting 800-900 down and about 300 to 500 up with my isp's box. I get around 700-800 down with xr500, but only 20 upload max. I've tried everything. Also, downloading games with xr500 60-140mbps. Isp box between 230-360ish.
Message 40 of 43
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear you've been dissapointed by your XR500...

When it was connected, did you have it connected to an ISP router/modem or a generic modem? Or an ONT?

Also when DumaOS 3.0 comes out it will be totally worth whipping out the olde XR500 again.

Message 41 of 43
Intrickit27
Aspirant

My ISP modem. It wasn't a combo.
Message 42 of 43
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

So it's the same modem you're using now with the router that's working better?

Message 43 of 43
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7