× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 V2.3.2.130 checksum

ngearftard
Luminary

XR500 V2.3.2.130 checksum

Is the checksum for the above-mentioned firmware image file published publicly anywhere? I'm not finding it.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Totally understand, you could try reaching out to Netgear to see if they can provide that but if you are looking for more security focused features then the XR probably isn't the one for you right now. You're very welcome!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I don't believe so, they used to include the md5 in the zip file but doesn't seem like that is happening anymore, though if you're downloading directly from the Netgear support site https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#download (click Support at top of the page if you don't want to use the link) then you can be sure it's official
Message 2 of 4
ngearftard
Luminary

I appreciate the prompt reply; however, a certain former government contractor who I won't name proved you can't be sure it's official due to the potential for sophisticated man in the middle attacks while downloading firmware and driver updates. If I sound paranoid, it's because that's the nature of my work. As I mentioned in the other thread, I keep my Auto Firmware Update setting on "I Disagree" and manually check for firmware updates daily, yet somehow my XR500 rebooted with no power loss (for which you provided a possible cause) and that setting was changed with no action on my part to "I Agree." It's surprising Netgear no longer publishes its firmware checksums. I can't think of any good reason why this information wouldn't be publicly available as that's a generally accepted practice in the industry. I love this router, but maybe it's time to switch to something with security more in mind. Thanks again, Fraser. You've been incredibly responsive and helpful throughout the time I've owned the XR500.

Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Totally understand, you could try reaching out to Netgear to see if they can provide that but if you are looking for more security focused features then the XR probably isn't the one for you right now. You're very welcome!
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7