× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 V2.3.2.40 Firmware Does Not Connect

Jackaloopt
Guide

XR500 V2.3.2.40 Firmware Does Not Connect

I have attempted to update my XR500 router to V2.3.2.40 four times now with no success.

Even when following the correct methods of installing the firmware it will not connect to the WAN port and my wireless devices will not connect.

I can get the internet to connect and light to turn white only after I conduct the update and then turn off and on the modem but if I reboot the router it will again not connect to the internet and even then wireless on either the 2.4 or 5Ghz will not work.

I have done both a hard reset as well as used the router interface to reset the device.

After updating the firmware, I reset the device and manually added the settings again.

I am directly wired to the router.

I have cleared the browser cache before attempting the update.

VPN, QoS, Geo-Filter, Smart Connect, VLAN/Bridge, Port Forwarding and Triggering are all off.  

The only changes I had made were to the name of the device and wireless name and channels as well as having UPnp on.

I eventually had to roll back to V2.3.2.32 of the firmware which has worked and all my devices with the very same settings were able to connect.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Jackaloopt
Guide

I finally had the opportunity to test the settings that you had recommended.

Attempting to set the router to a static IP address was unsuccesful but changing only the MAC address to the previous router was.  This allowed me to update to V2.3.2.40 firmware as well as connect most of my devices without having to reboot them.

Thank you for all your assistance.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

So just to make sure I understand:

• Everything works on .32
  • Upgrading to .40 completes
  • After upgrade, you have no Internet. You can still access the user interface, but there's no Internet through the router
  • Downgrading back to .32 restores Internet again

Is that all correct? Very odd if so. Did you try a factory reset after install of .40? Might be worth doing this to initiate the first installation tour you see on first use.

Message 2 of 15
Jackaloopt
Guide

Yes.  All those statements you have listed are correct.

I did not do a factory reset on the first two attempts but did on the last two.

Message 3 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Once on .40 did you attempt the Internet Setup Wizard to see if you could regain a connection that way? Do you use PPPoE for your connection?
Message 4 of 15
Jackaloopt
Guide

Yes I did use the internet wizard on the first two attempts but I found that when doing so, it would not let me make changes to the preferred DNS servers unless I chose the manual set up.

Message 5 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay interesting, so with the default DNS it didn't allow a connection? What is your connection type? What's your exact physical setup?
Message 6 of 15
Jackaloopt
Guide

With the default DNS, ethernet was connected but 2.4 and 5Ghz wireless would not work and after reboot I would loose the internet connection again until I would reboot the cable modem.

ARRIS SURFboard (32x8) DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

Netgear XR500 Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router

(2) Netgear GS116Ev2 16 Port Gigabit ProSAFE Plus Switches

Netgear GS10SE ProSAFE Plus Switch

Mix of 50+ wired and wireless devices (iOS, Smartthings, Harmony Hub, LiFX, Awair, Philips Hue, wireles security cameras, Ooma VoIP, MacOS, PLEX media server, Windows 10, Samsung TVs, Apple TVs, HDHomeRun, Amazon Echo and Dots)

Cable modem to XR500 WAN port

Both GS116Ev2 switches connected to XR500

Computer connected to XR500

GS10SE switch connected to GS116Ev2 switch

Message 7 of 15
Jackaloopt
Guide

I also forgot to add the rest of the other devices such Xbox One S, WeMo, WD My Cloud, WD MyBook Live and ecoobee.

Message 8 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay interesting. I'd suggest in Internet Setup that you set everything to static as well as changing the MAC address to that of your previous router.
Message 9 of 15
Jackaloopt
Guide

I had also wanted to mention that I had read in the NETDUMA forum that the V2.3.2.40 firmware I believe, was supposed to address the Qualcomm chipset to fix the prior firmware disconnect issues that were occurring which I am not experiencing on mine.  I am not sure if this has any bearing on my current situation or not but wanted to bring it up just in case.

Message 10 of 15
Jackaloopt
Guide

I can set only some of my equipment to static addresses as many of the IoT devices do not allow for that option.

Also as a side note that if 2.3.2.32 works as intended I hesitate to compensate for software (or hardware) that may be compromised only to find out later when my hardware warranty is up on a $300 dollar router.

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Your router is not compromised if your using a prior FW version. I would keep v32 loaded and wait for the next FW update to come out after v40. 

@Jackaloopt wrote:

I can set only some of my equipment to static addresses as many of the IoT devices do not allow for that option.

Also as a side note that if 2.3.2.32 works as intended I hesitate to compensate for software (or hardware) that may be compromised only to find out later when my hardware warranty is up on a $300 dollar router.

Message 12 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The fix shouldn't be related to the issue that you're facing. I don't mean give devices themselves static IPs but the router itself from Settings > Internet Setup and also giving it the MAC address of your previous router.
Message 13 of 15
Jackaloopt
Guide

I finally had the opportunity to test the settings that you had recommended.

Attempting to set the router to a static IP address was unsuccesful but changing only the MAC address to the previous router was.  This allowed me to update to V2.3.2.40 firmware as well as connect most of my devices without having to reboot them.

Thank you for all your assistance.

Message 14 of 15
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

That's great to hear, thanks for letting us know.

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7