× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 - VLAN tagging making wifi devices unable to communicate?

Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The wired devices how are they connected? Directly to the XR or to the EX? 3.0 is currently in beta with testers being added in batches, I would recommend you sign up if you haven't already.
Message 26 of 59
Trompeusz
Aspirant

Hi,

The wired connections are connected to the XR500 directly.

When i connect the NAS to the EX, on the network manager it will be shown az a wireless device.

Regards,

Arpad

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 27 of 59
Trompeusz
Aspirant

In the meantime I've also tried to connect between two laptops, one wired and the other wireless, and I cant connect those either.

Also youtube casting from wifi to wired devices is not connecting. The wired device is visible, but it can't connect.

Is behaves like the devices are not on the same network.

Would it be possible to test out theDumaOS3 to see if it is resolving the issue, otherwise I have to send the XRM570, as I can not leave without using both wired and wireless devices....

Thank you,

Regards,

Arpad

Message 28 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's expected as the wired devices won't be able to tell what is downstream from itself. As the EX is connected wirelessly it assumes any device connected to this is also wireless as it technically is as not connected direct to XR. Do the wireless devices connected to the EX have an IP on the same subnet as those connected direct to the XR?
Message 29 of 59
Trompeusz
Aspirant

Yes, all the setup details are copied from the main router, "Dynamically get IP address From Router" is thicked.

The issue is not only with devices connected to the EX. Even if I connect a device to the XR wireless, it still can't access anything connected to Wired.

As you mentioned previously, the DumaOS 3.0 should address this issue. Does it?
I've signed up for the beta, but not sure when I'll receive it, and that might be to late for me to keep this router.

Regards,
Arpad
Message 30 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Interesting, if you switch the EX to use AP mode instead, does it work as expected with connecting to devices? We have made some changes regarding the device manager so it's possible but I've not seen this issue specifically. If you get the beta then that provides the perfect feedback opportunity so we can work on it and have a fix thats testable.
Message 31 of 59
Trompeusz
Aspirant

It is strange that you say you have not heard this, at this forum thread was opened 6 month ago, with the exact same description....

I'll try changig the EX to AP mode tomorrow, but it does not have anything to do with my issue. Even whem the EX was turned off, I still was not able to communicate between wireless and wired devices.

I'm not sure how long will it take to receive the beta, but if by the weekend I won't have a solution or any improvements, I have no choice but to return the router...

Message 32 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry I meant specific to 3.0. If you connect the devices to the same method i.e. wifi or ethernet I assume it allows the connection?
Message 33 of 59
Trompeusz
Aspirant

Yes,

-if everything is connected wireless or wired through the EX extender, I can access from any wireless, but not from devices connected wired to the xr500.

- any devices connected through Ethernet (wired) directly to the XR500 can be accessed from any another device connected through ethernet, but not from any device connected to the wireless, or to EX extender (wired or wireless)

I can ping any of the IP's (from different connection type), even tracert shows no problem, qucik 2-7ms times, but when I try to connect it, nothing...

Plugging back everything to the old router, works like a charm, and i have this system for the past 3 years, having various router (from different ISP's), which all worked like the charm.

Message 34 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I think at this point it's worth creating a ticket directly with Netgear as this is more to do with their hardware/VLAN and so you may get better advice. Log in here and make a ticket: http://support.netgear.com/
Message 35 of 59
Trompeusz
Aspirant

Thank you for the advice and help. I've contected netgear support before writing to the forum, but they are not helping me at all. Spent 2x over an hour on phone and chat, but no help ...

I'll wait a few more days to netgear to get back to me, but if not the router is going back to amazon.

Message 36 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you have a ticket number could you let us know what it is please and then we can try to escalate it from our side.
Message 37 of 59

FYI I still have this same problem - was unable to find a solution. I think there must be something broken in the way this router handles traffic between wireless and wired.

Would love to know if there is a solution - hanging out for a firmware update.
Message 38 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do make sure you sign up for 3.0 so when/if you can use the beta this is still an issue it gives us a good opportunity to investigate further and test possible solutions.
Message 39 of 59
jirskyr
Tutor

Mate don't waste your time, send it back to Amazon as soon as you can to ensure they accept returns. I had this issue (I am the OP) and I wasted hours and hours trying to figure out what was wrong, because it's a unique combo of needing VLAN tagging for ISP and this particular product. I also contacted Netgear Help Desk and the lady tried to help but her suggestions were way off the mark, and basically she just didn't understand what I was saying. I got much more feedback from this forum.

However it appeared obvious Netgear either wasn't aware of the issue or didn't care, because it was some decent time and there wasn't a firmware upgrade coming along. And the Netduma guys are nice and helpful, but they only control the front-end software. I never saw an actual Netgear person in here trying to trouble-shoot.

Eventually I confirmed 100% it was VLAN tagging that was the issue. There are some ISPs overseas, like Singapore, that also need VLAN tagging and there were hints of a similar issue with the XR500. For me, all wired devices could speak to each other, all wifi devices could not. Tagging OFF, the wifi communication worked but NBN did not, tagging ON the wifi communication failed but NBN worked. All devices could get internet (request service through the VLAN) but wifi devices couldn't talk to one another. For some reason the router considers wifi-wifi requests as external to the VLAN and rejects them.

Your alternative is to get an ISP that doesn't require VLAN tagging, and there are some. But easier solution just send back to Amazon. They refunded me without any questions as I was inside the return period.

I ended up buying an ASUS RT-AC88U as replacement and it worked immediately, literally within 15 mins it did what it was supposed to do, so it was an issue with the Netgear product handling the VLAN tagging.

Message 40 of 59
Trompeusz
Aspirant

I have already requested a return and I have already packed nicely, looks like never touched, but I have the possibility to take to the post office next Monday, so over the weekend if the DumaOS 3.0 beta will be released to me (which I doubt ...) I'll give another try.

My issue although it isn't related to the VLAN. I need to set the VLAN tagging up for the internet, but even after a factory reset, without setting up the internet, just with local network, it still doesn't work. I can see and access between devices connected to the same way to the XR500(WiFi to WiFi, or ethernet to Ethernet), but not WiFi to Ethernet, or reverse..

I had previously an ASUS GT-AC5300, but that had different type of issue (caused by the VLAN tagging) and was completely freezing randomly... Also had the DSL-AC88U which was a total crap as well, but that was with a different ISP.

Changing the ISP is not really an option as here in the UK the only ISP with gigabit internet is Vodafone.
Message 41 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I understand both your concerns and I'm really sorry to hear you've moved on but I do hope you'll come back in future once you see what 3.0 can do/when it is more stable for your particular situations.
Message 42 of 59
JamesBondxD
Aspirant

What's the update on this? Did you fix it? Please reply
Message 43 of 59

No, as far as I know it is not fixable. Do not buy this modem if you have VDSL NBN.
Message 44 of 59
JamesBondxD
Aspirant

Looks like I have to use a managed switch in this case.. connect my router to it and then vlan some of the ports.. What do you reckon?
Message 45 of 59

Worth a shot - but also might be simpler to return the XR500 and swap it for something that works like it's meant to.

Message 46 of 59
JamesBondxD
Aspirant

Yeah that's true. I'm a bit upset about this honestly.

Why offer Vlan on the router if it's not going to work correctly?

And I'm updated to the latest firmware right now and still nothing. Having the exact same issue as you.

I'm really surprised Netgear don't apply a firmware fix for this.

What router did you get to replace this one?
Message 47 of 59
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Message 48 of 59
Reudig
Aspirant

neatlHas anyone already tried using the latest beta ? Does it work?

I'm reluctant to waste my time on fiddling around and maybe having to return to the previous OS Version ... Sadly my XR500 was bought used after my first XR500 died on me - I really liked the router, but I'm now in a new location and my new ISP requires VLAN tagging ... So I'm dealing with the exact same issues OP had ...

Wifi and LAN devices see each other but cannot communicate ... I couldn't chromecast anything from my Smartphone or Tablet to the Android TV (which is wired) ... Now I've hooked the TV up with Wifi, but now my Plex Server doesn't work because that's wired ... 

I'm really sorry to say, but I've always been very fond of this router and it gave me a good time back in the day, been having an XR500 for years and years ... tried others as well but always felt that - especially - DumaOS was easy to use and very neatly arranged and clear.

Well, guess it's good bye Netgear if the Beta doesn't work 😞

Message 49 of 59

Yes I've tried the new beta, no it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Message 50 of 59
Discussion stats
  • 58 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7