× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 VPN Service not working

Xentaur
Tutor

XR500 VPN Service not working

Dear all,
Was recommended to post this issue here.
XR500 firmware version V2.3.2.114.

I have read several posts without a solution regarding the functionality failure of the VPN Service feature in the XR500.

With WiFi off, I've tried using both OpenVPN Connect and OpenVPN for Android apps on my OnePlus 8T and a Samsung A70 via the 4G mobile network but get the same result on both devices - Successfully connected but cannot browse my home network.

When home and connected to WiFi - no issues, I can browse my home network.

Have tried all combinations in the VPN Service settings of TCP/UDP, Auto/Internet + home network/home network only.

When using VPN service on my previous router (Fritzbox 7390) it just worked - no issues.

Following the XR500 user guide steps to the letter - no success.

Tried troubleshooting suggestion of disabling QoS - no success.

Honestly dumbfounded that Netgear hasn't rectified this problem given it has been posted about several times.

If anyone in the community has a solution I'd be very grateful if you would share. My immediate solution = time for a new router.

Exasperatedly yours,
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Xentaur
Tutor

Re: XR500 VPN Service not working

Hi all,

Further investigation has identified that the culprit was Windows 10 Defender Firewall with Advanced Security.

After successful remote connection to the XR500 VPN Service via OpenVPN Connect I discovered I was able to ping other devices on the 192.168.1.X IP range and also browse shared folders thereon, but was still unable to do so on my Windows 10 machine.

I tried resetting the Windows 10 firewall to default settings but was still unable to access the machine via the OpenVPN connection. So, this blocking behaviour is by default.

The solution was to add an inbound rule to the firewall to permit access to the Windows 10 shared folders:

1. Open Windows Defender Firewall and Advanced Security in Windows 10

2. Select Inbound Rules in the left pane and then New Rule ... in the right pane.

3. Select Port as the Rule Type and click Next.

4. For Protocols and Ports select TCP and All local Ports and click Next.

5. For Action select Allow the connection and click Next.

6. For Profile select only Private and click Next.

7. Create a name for your rule and click Finish.

8. Double-click your new inbound rule to access the properties.

9. Select the Scope tab

10. Under Remote IP Address select These IP Addresses and click Add

11. On the IP Address form add the IP address that is assigned to your OpenVPN connection (in my case, 192.168.2.2) to the This IP address or subnet field.

12. Ok to add the IP Address, then OK to update the scope.

I found after adding the above I had difficulty accessing the Windows 10 machine from my home network, so added my home network's IP Range at step 11.

If you connect via OpenVPN to your XR500 using UDP protocol (or switch between dependent upon device) then follow the above steps to create a rule for UDP as well.

This might not be the optimal way to resolve this problem but at least now I can access my home network when I'm out and about.

I hope these steps assist others in avoiding the hours of frustration I experienced.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear this!

As you mention, it's a features of Netgear's so maybe not something we at Netduma can solve but we'll do our best!

Are you getting any error messages or are there any log entries on the XR500 around the time of you connecting to the VPN service?

Message 2 of 8
Xentaur
Tutor

Hi

logs show successful connection. Between connect and disconnect I tried to access my home network but timed out.

[OpenVPN, connection drop] from remote IP address: 1.136.106.196, Monday, September 27, 2021 16:59:18
[OpenVPN, connection successfully] from remote IP address: 1.136.106.196, Monday, September 27, 2021 16:58:36
[LAN access from remote] from 193.27.228.60:58829 to 192.168.1.4:3896, Monday, September 27, 2021 16:58:34
[Log Cleared] Monday, September 27, 2021 16:58:08

So, have tried connecting on Linux Mint, windows and Android smartphone via openvpn client and configuration files downloaded from the XR500.

Each instance connects but the assigned IP address of 192.168.2.2 is not in the range I need to access my home network, which is on 192.168.1.X.

So, I can log into the router via the vpn connection but my file server is out of reach.

I would have assumed that configuration files generated via VPN Service settings in the XR500 would, based on my having selected home network access, know on which IP range my network resides and include it in the configuration.

Suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers
Message 3 of 8
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

That's interesting, what is the modem the XR500 is connected to? Is it a router/modem combo, could that be where you're somehow getting a 192.168.2.x IP from? 

It may be best to raise a ticket directly with Netgear regarding this problem, you can do so at support.netgear.com.

Message 4 of 8
ChanceOfFlight
Aspirant

It works, I just did it, follow this tutorial: https://youtu.be/wVmBA5a0qqk

Setup ExpressVPN on the XR500. Although once thing pointed out in the tutorial is that the hybrid vpn manual setup is very picky.... as in it needs to be exactly the configuration file provided by your vpn service. Even the smallest space bar or extra character will break it.

Hope it helps! 

Message 5 of 8
Xentaur
Tutor

Thanks for your reply.

Please note the issue I have described is with the VPN Service feature and not the Hybrid VPN feature of the router.

I am not trying to add my VPN Provider details to the router, rather to set up a VPN connection to my router via OPENVPN Connect in order to access my home network remotely.

Check under Settings >Advanced Settings>VPN Service for the functionality I'm trying to implement.

Awaiting a call from a tier 2 tech from Netgear (already an hour overdue). Will post back if any success.

Cheers
Message 6 of 8
Xentaur
Tutor

Hi all,

Further investigation has identified that the culprit was Windows 10 Defender Firewall with Advanced Security.

After successful remote connection to the XR500 VPN Service via OpenVPN Connect I discovered I was able to ping other devices on the 192.168.1.X IP range and also browse shared folders thereon, but was still unable to do so on my Windows 10 machine.

I tried resetting the Windows 10 firewall to default settings but was still unable to access the machine via the OpenVPN connection. So, this blocking behaviour is by default.

The solution was to add an inbound rule to the firewall to permit access to the Windows 10 shared folders:

1. Open Windows Defender Firewall and Advanced Security in Windows 10

2. Select Inbound Rules in the left pane and then New Rule ... in the right pane.

3. Select Port as the Rule Type and click Next.

4. For Protocols and Ports select TCP and All local Ports and click Next.

5. For Action select Allow the connection and click Next.

6. For Profile select only Private and click Next.

7. Create a name for your rule and click Finish.

8. Double-click your new inbound rule to access the properties.

9. Select the Scope tab

10. Under Remote IP Address select These IP Addresses and click Add

11. On the IP Address form add the IP address that is assigned to your OpenVPN connection (in my case, 192.168.2.2) to the This IP address or subnet field.

12. Ok to add the IP Address, then OK to update the scope.

I found after adding the above I had difficulty accessing the Windows 10 machine from my home network, so added my home network's IP Range at step 11.

If you connect via OpenVPN to your XR500 using UDP protocol (or switch between dependent upon device) then follow the above steps to create a rule for UDP as well.

This might not be the optimal way to resolve this problem but at least now I can access my home network when I'm out and about.

I hope these steps assist others in avoiding the hours of frustration I experienced.

Cheers.

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Well done on figuring it out and thanks so much for posting the solution in detailed, easy to follow steps.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7