× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 VPN connections.

DRU732
Tutor

XR500 VPN connections.

I setup the a dynamic DNS service, and configured VPN on my XR500.  

Using OpenVPN on my apple device, I imported the smartphone config file from my router.

Everything seems to be working, however from the router the only evidence of the connection I can see is a single line in the logs that I connected.

Will a VPN device show up in the Network Monitor? Device Manager?  I am surprised there isnt much visibility of this connected device.

The IP address my apple phone shows in the OpenVPN app is not part of the DHCP range I have defined on the router, nor do I see any place in the router to configure this IP range.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 VPN connections.

As its not in the DHCP range that be why its not appearing, it may not see it as being directly connected. Are you accessing it remotely?
Message 2 of 4
DRU732
Tutor

The whole point of the VPN service on the router is to tunnel your remote connection to your home router.

So yes, when my phone is on LTE and I turn the VPN on I am remotely tunnelling to my XR500 at home using it as a gateway for all my internet and home network traffic.

My DHCP range in use is something like 192.168.50.10-100

And the IP address showing in OpenVPN is something like 192.168.51.2

I use my own DNS appliance for all DNS requests (rather than my ISP's default DNS).

I can see the DNS requests from my phone in the logs on the DNS appliance, so I know I am connected to my XR500.  

The only visibility I have of my connection on the router is in the admin logs:

"[OpenVPN, connection successfully] from remote IP address: x.x.x.x"

I can't see, control, limit, or monitor this connection from any of the graphical displays/tools.

Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd recommend contacting Netgears 24/7 support and seeing if they have a solution. May be a fix needs to be created.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7