× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Vs Spectrum WiFi 6 Router

ColeI
Aspirant

XR500 Vs Spectrum WiFi 6 Router

I am moving and looking for the best solution. I have a XR500 That I purchased a while ago. Spectrum is giving me the new Gigabit router for my new gigabit plan. Seeing if I should just stay with my XR500 or switch/ buy a new router.
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: XR500 Vs Spectrum WiFi 6 Router

XR500 supports Gb speeds, however doesn't have WiFi 6 support. 

Message 2 of 6
ColeI
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply! What would you recommend me to do? I don’t think I have many 6E Device's in my house hold. And my main setup will be plugged into Ethernet. Should I just go with my XR500 or go to the Spectrum router.
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Is spectrum charging you for their router? 

I don't have spectrum but I though their modems were free but they charged for the routers. 

If it costs $, the XR500 is still a pretty solid router and I'd probably stick with it. 

If its free, you can always try the new router and see how it works

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

If you like the gaming features of the XR router and how it works, keep it. You could keep the XR router going and if you want better featured wifi, you could get into something WiFi 6 or 6E and configure this system for AP mode and connect it to the XR router, Then shut off the XR wifi radios and use the newer wifi system for your wifi needs while keeping the router portion of the XR going. 

Message 5 of 6

@ColeI wrote:
Thanks for the reply! What would you recommend me to do? I don’t think I have many 6E Device's in my house hold.

If you are mostly Ethernet, why not see how you get on with the XR500?

You may have to put the new modem into modem only (bridge) mode, or you could use the XR500 in wireless access pit (AP) modem.

Wifi 6 is not necessarily 6E. That means 6 GHz wifi, a newish technology with an  even shorter range than 5 GHz, that has yet to take over the world.

WiFi 6 is something else. It still uses 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wifi.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7