× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500- WHEN ARE WE GOING TO SEE AN UPDATE FOR THE NOW FAILING GEOFILTER and UPnP?

Futard
Aspirant

XR500- WHEN ARE WE GOING TO SEE AN UPDATE FOR THE NOW FAILING GEOFILTER and UPnP?

There have been several posts on the Netduma site that show obvious signs that the geofilter isn't functioning correctly worldwide. People are reporting issues of servers within their geofilter being skipped as well as servers well outside of their filter being selected. Also the Allow or Deny list is not functioning either. Servers that have been saved as Deny are being allowed and then after you;ve wrongly joined in the lobby it will kick you resulting in a match loss. If these two features aren't working, geofilter and/or allow/deny, and UPnP is not populating ports or opening ports then you;ve got some serious functionality problems for a router that was purely advertised to sell with these features making it the top of the line gaming router. Otherwise it's just another buggy router form Netgear.

I'm not going to take time to list each and every forum post of these exact issues, this whole 2 forum process to support a router is beyond insane as is. Update frequency has got to be faster with these bug fixes. At this rate the router will be going on two years old before we have a proper function UPnP. That is insane!  We were promised a faster update frequency, for those of us who jumped over from R1, once the new OS was developed. That has not happened. Actually with the XR500 we've gone from the slow to almost non-existent updates of Netduma themselves to now being coupled with finger pointing towards Netgear for the releases being even slower. 

This well documented fact, coupled with more hardware releases makes the whole situation feel very dirty and "money grab-ish." How can you realease another router within the same year yet NOT have working UPnP or port forwarding nailed down? Now we are fighting geo-filter issues and being told we see the issues we are working on a fix. At some point you're going to have to stop working on releasing and start working on fixing these huge continued, existing issues. 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 15
schumaku
Guru

Re: XR500- WHEN ARE WE GOING TO SEE AN UPDATE FOR THE NOW FAILING GEOFILTER and UPnP?

@Futard wrote:

I'm not going to take time to list each and every forum post of these exact issues, this whole 2 forum process to support a router is beyond insane as is. 

These Nighthawk Gaming Pro XRnnn routers are Netgear products, the hardware and a major part of the OS platform is done and maintained by Netgear, and is not under the control of Netduma - e.g. the Kernel, the basic OS, features like UPnP, ReadyCloud, DoS, Logging, ...  I think that says it all: Netgear does not listen on the Netduma forum, Netgear does nowhere refer to the Netduma forum.

Message 2 of 15
Futard
Aspirant

I'm unclear as to the reason for your reply. 

I am fairly certain most here know the situation and realize that Netgear is the hardware manfg. and Netduma supplies the OS which is piggybacked or whatever on top of Netgears own OS and that Netgear ultimately controls the repair and release of firmware buggy or not.  We see that, that's what I was pointing out. Netduma is the first to see the issues reported at their forum and Netgear for the most part just wants to sell us extended warranties for their poorly optimized and non-functioning routers. The device is crippled without these key features it was advertised to provide which is why we paid a premium for a router that would have cost less than or close to $200.00US without the DumaOS. 

Netgears decision to partner with Netduma then totally disregard the issues for the last year or more and then also release another device with the, at the very least partially, non-functioning OS is pretty disgusting. 

If you want to be helpful try to stick to the issue at hand and not regurgitate what we all know already in your own words. I know I'd appreciate it. Your post as well as my own here now replying to you is a typical response expected when people try and water down posts with disinformation or wasted words. 

Message 3 of 15
Futard
Aspirant

There is a current ongoing, first reported around June of 2018, issue with connecting to servers that are clearly outside of the geofilter range as well as whne PA is used the servers are well above the PA setting. Even with PA off completely for weeks at a time people are connecting to servers they should not be connecting to. That is the purpose of the geo-filter to fence around the area we define and connect within said area. So the first idea would be to use Allow/Deny list to ban these servers right? Well that's not working either.

This has been reported from different angles and persons all over the world and we've yet to get a resolution. I'd say this pretty much falls inline with the performance of the UPnP failures of the XR500 and thus, Netgear support as a whole.  So far this being my 4th replacement router and now 3 months outside of the year warranty all Netgear is wanting is to sell me and extended warranty vs. making their product work as advertised. 

This was reported directly to Netgear support by several users, including myself and we've all been met with 'outside of warranty, please purchase extended warranty.' 

Sorry Netgear but fix your buggy router, I'm not paying anymore. 

Message 4 of 15
schumaku
Guru

You complained about two support sites - if we ask both Netduma and Netgear they will tell us it's not support, it's just free community discussion. R1 is Netduma, Nighthawk Pro Gaming is Netgear.

Already the term DumaOS is - in my opinion - wrong, misleading at best, and not applicable. Some UI and some services don't make an OS. In my opinion, it's a Netgear product (sorry for repeating). That says it all. Geofilter stuff is Netduma provied feature and/or service part (kind of a sophisticated policy routing), UPnP is 100% Netgear, along with the system platform, the Kernel, ... and the complete product is. Look at the low-level issues on these platforms - the basic isues (leaving the Duma level alone) are the same on the "normal" Nighthawk and the Nighthawk Gaming Blah models - and you realize that two more or less wonky things are merged together. And both partners have massive issues.

And hey, there is no reason to shout in the subject already. I'm not Netgear.

Message 5 of 15
Futard
Aspirant

Both are supports sites.  Thay can say what they want but legally if they offer any form of support, as both do, on their 'community forums' then it's a support site. Again, why do you feel the need to repeat yourself?  I guess padding your forum stats... cool.

As far as me shouting, just like you feel the need to constantly spout of repetitive nonsense that is of help to nobody, you apparently have that right to passive-aggressively troll here just as I had the right to choose all caps.  Don't like it? Aw shucks.  My question was for Netgear, not you. So unless you are from Netgear your posts are a waste of time. 

Message 6 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

This post here I think is relevant to what you're saying and may provide you with an answer: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/28734-feedback-on-netduma-as-a-company/?do=findComment&comment=21788...

Just to add that we cannot control when Netgear release firmware updates, that is completely up to them. Any issues that we're aware of that are not to do with us e.g. UPnP we let Netgear know of immediately.
Message 7 of 15
Futard
Aspirant

Well I guess that's that then.  You just linked me to a huge block of PR work. Usually when a company skirts aroudn the issues and performs PR like that sh1t is going downhill fast. 

Also I realize you guys cannot make Netgear push firmware out, we've all heard it a thousand times over, but surely you;ve got to realize also the flip side of that is that you are basically throwing your long standing customers to the wolves. Some of us have been there since day one. And now this partnership has provided yet another excuse to throw our way.  We waited for years for things to be fixed on the R1 and all Netduma could say was "oh you just wait for the new OS, updates will be faster, we can add new features so quick and it will be totally redesigned...."  yet here we, customers, are with yet another fiasco of a router with plagued basic feature issues like UPnP still broken for some and bugs like power cycling are still coming about. Now the key features are bugging out and all we hear is " we cannot control when Netgear releases firmware updates.."   What happened to the new and improved quicker updates.... etc?  Was it all just BS you sold us to keep us on the hook so you guys could sell off to the devil?  BTW, Netgear support strongly states in writing mind you that they are only responsible for the hardware... hmmm so who exactly is responsible for the firmware/OS?  More finger pointing?

Message 8 of 15
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Blame me for the wall of text PR, just thought it would be better than staying quiet but maybe not. I guess it's the definition of spending a lot of time saying nothing since i'm not allowed to actually tell you what we're working on. Not much I can really say except that I believe in the end the updates we're working on will be worth the wait.

Message 9 of 15
Jlpotter76
Tutor

Come on now with the "I am not allowed to say anything".  Can we please get someone with some Title that can tell us what the hell is going on around here.  If they dont have the title maybe someone with some balls can inform us then.  The community is out here waiting and waiting for this product to succeed in every way.  Seriously now come on please shed some light on what is in store for the product and an ETA.  

Message 10 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Deadlines and content of updates can change constantly, all we do by releasing this information is give false hope as deadlines may be pushed and features/fixes may be postponed. I wish we could be more specific but the nature of development doesn't allow that freedom as much.
Message 11 of 15
Futard
Aspirant

I get NDA's and Deadlines etc but Netgear adn NEtduma have to realize how this leaves a bad taste in the mouths of all customers. We have yet to hear anything of substance from Netgear other than saying her'e an update. Several of the updates were actually pulled because of issues found immediately after they released the update. Still, no explanation just revert back to old f/w.... So with no real community support here that leave everyone pointing to the Netduma forums. There we find other users just as disgruntled from previous version and new alike. R1 owners have been waiting years and were told updates would come faster than ever with the new OS, they haven't. R1 owners are still plagued by some of the same issues they experienced before Duma2.0. Now the forum is full of users showing the same issues maybe with different levels of detail but the to the same end result. So what exactly are we supposed to do?  We've waiting for a year or more for the OS to FULLY function as advertised when released yet we have zero recourse according to Netdumas hand's being tied behind their back and Netgears reluctnace to help anyone who refuses to purchase an extended warranty. I've seen issues like this before with Netgear cable modems (Puma6) as well their ranage extenders. I guess what all this points to is Netgear will straight *** you until a federal judge slaps their hands and imposes a fine. 

Message 12 of 15
alteredbeing
Guide

Waiting I have since this thing came out. My network monitor does not show my devices save the amazon devices. Without a doubt we are in new times the customer has yet adapted to. What a shame. 

Message 13 of 15
Futard
Aspirant

Exactly. New times as in people are so frustrated with corporations just eating workers and consumers that common are willing to risk it all and just walk into their offices and start shooting. Such a shame that these corporations just don't give a **bleep** about their customers or their own public image. This xr500 has been buggy since launch and they just continue to package it and dress it up and sell it but fail to even repair even basic functions like UPnP and power or even their **bleep**ty QA didn't even catch that most of their first batch devices had the labels backwards for the Ports. The entire reason for the routers existence is the Geofilter and now it doesn't even work with Call of Duty which is easily one of it not THE most popular game of their customer base. What puzzles me is how they mass produce model after model and then fail to support the features they use to "set their router apart" from every other router that does the same damn thing. Netgear nor Netduma will ever get any money out of me or the people I help with this type of thing. I know I'm a droplet in the ocean but it's gotta start somewhere
Message 14 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@alteredbeing could you make a new topic regarding the issue please and we can help you out, that shouldn't be happening. Please also let us know your physical setup and the firmware version in the post.
Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7