× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 - What's Going On???

migsta
Apprentice

XR500 - What's Going On???

Why these things,

Using the iOS Nighthawk up I tag all of my devices with tye type (i.e. Network, NAS, etc.).  Then, they all go back to showing the first letter of the first and second word (i.e. Nvidia Shield TV shows up as NS).

Why does my Orbi in AP mode keep getting a different IP everytime the XR500 is rebooted.  I have it set to DHCP (as things go awry if I set it to static in AP mode) but this does not happen with my Asus router as the Orbi in AP kepts its IP on reboots?  And, the IP is sometimes weird such that it will list the IP (i.e. 192.168.0.8 and sometimes another one that's always 192.168.1.250 and it could be with the Orbi router and/or Orbi satellites where it includes this second IP).

Why do the LAN ports not correspond to their numbers.  I'm using Lan Port 1 and 2, as labeled on the back of the router, but this translates to Port 3 and 4 in the router software?

The DDNS is garbage.  I connect remotely and I barely get some, if any, response making the web GUI basically unuseable.  The Show Status test reports okay but the GUI doesn't work because the response isn't there?

Not to impressed coming from an Asus router that worked without such flaws.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Regarding the LAN ports not corresponding with their proper numbers: This was an issue with the first batch of XR500s. If you bought it recently they will replace it.

Regarding DCHP reservation not working correctly: Can you take a screenshot of your DCHP settings so that I can try and figure out what's happening there?

The web GUI is known to have issues with Chrome, so if you can, try using another browser.

Message 2 of 9
migsta
Apprentice

So, I returned the XR500 for another one and it's the same stupid issue with the LAN ports lining up from a hardware perspective.  On the back next the WAN port it starts with 1 to 4 and front lights up corresponding to this but the software shows I'm using Lan 3 and Lan 4 when I'm plugged into Lan 1 and Lan 2 on the back of the router.

It's hilarious how Netgear can have this faulty QA'd hardware still in the hands of retailer.  What's even funnier is the Exec page on the Netgear side with all of these folks probably taking some nice pay while they don't care whatsoever about the customer complaints/issues.  Their new RAX series routers are a joke as well.  They release routers with hardware specs that are phenomenal because that's the easiest thing to do but the hard part is writing a proper GUI for this hardware instead of just taking the junk GUI they've been using for years now.

Anyways, back to my Lan ports not lining up - guess ths junk is going back indefinitely.  Don't know why I bothered.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Don't be bothered by it. Its been a known issue since day one. Sounds like your local stock or where ever you got the 2nd unit from has the initial released units and hasn't made it to the 2nd set that were fixed. If the unit is working then you'll be fine. 

@migsta wrote:

So, I returned the XR500 for another one and it's the same stupid issue with the LAN ports lining up from a hardware perspective.  On the back next the WAN port it starts with 1 to 4 and front lights up corresponding to this but the software shows I'm using Lan 3 and Lan 4 when I'm plugged into Lan 1 and Lan 2 on the back of the router.

It's hilarious how Netgear can have this faulty QA'd hardware still in the hands of retailer.  What's even funnier is the Exec page on the Netgear side with all of these folks probably taking some nice pay while they don't care whatsoever about the customer complaints/issues.  Their new RAX series routers are a joke as well.  They release routers with hardware specs that are phenomenal because that's the easiest thing to do but the hard part is writing a proper GUI for this hardware instead of just taking the junk GUI they've been using for years now.

Anyways, back to my Lan ports not lining up - guess ths junk is going back indefinitely.  Don't know why I bothered.

Message 4 of 9
migsta
Apprentice

Thanks.  Taking it back though cause that's like buying a new car and it has a cosmetic issue (i.e. scratches).  I don't think that's acceptable and Netgear should have pulled these units already from retailers.  They'd rather sell them and hope the customer(s) looks the other way.

Plus, this router is weird.  Both units give me a horrific issue with Orbi in AP mode.  They get weird ip's, as noted earlier, and they require a lot of rebooting just to get them initally online and assigned only one IP.  Then, the main Orbi router in AP keeps getting assigned a different ip on reboots of the XR500 and may or may not come online without some additional fidgeting (resetting Orbi and/or XR500, etc).

My Asus router, GT5300, no issues whatsoever.  I guess the XR700 would be the same?

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Again, its only like a engine if the cylinders are mis labled, however still works to spec, it's only a cosmetic issue. Up to NG to do what they wish though. If you feel you want a correctly labled router, I'm sure NG will RMA one to you.

If you setup Orbi in AP mode, it should only get the same IP address as the XR series router gives. In router mode they both share the same IP address string, 192.168.1.1 so this would cause the Orbi in router mode to use a 10 IP address. If you set the XR routers default IP address pool to something smaller, 192.168.1.100 thru .200, then set a static IP address On the RBR in AP mode for 192.168.0.50, then this would keep the Orbi RBR at this IP address. 

I haven't seen this issue with my XR450 and Orbi in AP Mode using either static or dynamic addressing. Though Orbi can be quirky to set up. Especially with managed switches in the mix. 

The XR700 didn't have the labling LAN port issue after it came out like the XR500 did. 

Message 6 of 9
migsta
Apprentice

Unless I don't understand this,

The Orbi router is in AP mode but not static.  Therefore, it gets its IP assigned from the same pool/segment that the XR500 is setup for & leasing.  So, if my XR500 is set to 192.168.0.2 (leasing 192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.254), then my Orbi router in AP would get 192.168.0.xxx for an IP.

But, the XR500 on initial setup, assigns some really bizarre IP's to the Orbi router/satellites.  They could just have 192.168.0.xxx (correct) or 192.168.0.xxx & 192.168.1.250 (what's this about)?  Or, they could just get 192.168.1.250 - essentially offline.  It takes multiple XR500 reboots and/or Orbi reboots/power off/on (router and satellites) before they all finally get their own 192.168.0.xxx ip's.  Any subsequent reboot of the XR500 results in the Orbi router changing its IP.  On the Asus router, no issues and the IP remains constant even though the Orbi is not set to static.  If it changes, the Asus might lease it a new IP once a month.

Message 7 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I think the .250 IP is the address so you can always access the AP router. The others must be for the satellites getting the standard pool as the DHCP is applying to them. That's my best guess but it is a little odd, have you created a ticket regarding this?
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

The 192.168.1. 250 is a default IP address that the RBS sets for satellites that are not connected correctly to the RBR. This is not a issue with the XR router rather the RBS not being corrrectly synced to the Orbi in AP mode. 

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7