× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 - What settings are needed to have Open NAT on 2 Xbox One Consoles?

karothacker
Guide

XR500 - What settings are needed to have Open NAT on 2 Xbox One Consoles?

Hi, I just purchased the XR500 (Router) and the CM1000 (Modem) to replace my current setup because it was outdated and giving me "Strict NAT" issues with both my Xbox One Systems. It was 4+ years old and I needed to upgrade months ago, but this Strict NAT issue has pushed me over the edge. Both items are currently on there way, but I wanted to get a head start and figure out if I needed to enable or change some settings so I can set up ASAP. Since the XR500 is a Gaming Router I expect for it to be an amazing out of box experience, but any advice would be very appreciated.

I currently play Rocket League and Monster Hunter World more than anything else (if that matters at all.)

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi karot, great to hear you've purchased the router, I'm sure you'll love it!

By default the options that you will need for an open NAT on multiple consoles will be enabled (UPnP). If you encounter an issue it would be a good idea to assign a port on the consoles itself as I believe you can now do that with Xbox.

Just as a rule of thumb have the Geo-Filter disabled when booting up the console to prevent a false NAT reading.
Message 2 of 21
karothacker
Guide

Thank you for your quick reply.

So I was just need to assign different ports to different consoles? Does it matter if they are both on WiFi and not hard wired?
Message 3 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Only if they both don't get an open NAT immediately and I would recommend giving them a port on the consoles settings yes. That doesn't matter but they would have a better connection if wired.
Message 4 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Where are you seeing Strict NAT? On the xbox dash board networking settings or in game? What games are you playing?

Wired LAN cable connections are preferred for gaming. if you use wired and have wireless configured, the console will automatically use the wired connection when the cable is plugged in.

If in game, You need to check to see what kind of NAT this model router has. I presume it will be Port Address Restricted NAT or maybe Symmetric NAT. If so and you have more than one game console online at the same time on the same router, Please review this:

http://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21&sid=70260bacf99743db46c1767674b5f0c7

In most cases xbox one now has the new port address feature on each game console were you can change the port address each xbox uses. So xbox #1 will be 3074 and xbox #2 would one of the other few selections seen in the networking advanced settings. These should be automatically done by the consoles.

Another issue is that if the consoles themselves are OPEN NAT and IN GAME NAT is moderate or strict, this a problem with howe the game is handling port and upnp. See the above link. Sometimes no matter what ports are configured or if just using uPnP, the game will not work correctly due to it's mis-handling of ports and uPnP.

The only work around i've seen with two or more game consoles play same game and getting OPEN NAT on all consoles and in game is to find a FULL CONE NAT router.

This issue isn't a problem for one single game console FYI. Only two or more.  Buddy of mine told me this morning that his games are all OPEN NAT however it's a single console game player.

Message 5 of 21
karothacker
Guide

It shows me strict NAT in the Network Settings and Matchmaking will not work in game.

Message 6 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi karot, is this straight out of the box - have you changed any settings yet?

Make sure that both consoles are connected via automatic network settings. Disable the Geo-Filter before you boot up the consoles as well.
Message 7 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Set up IP address reservations for the game consoles ON the router. Ensure uPnP is enabled.

Also try the following after setting up IP address reservations. Hold down the power button on the front of the game consoles until the xbox turns off. Then let go.

Fully reboot the router. Using the UI or turn OFF the router for 10 seconds then back on. Let it sync.

Then turn ON the first xbox. Don't turn on 2nd...yet.

Chat NAT settings on the dash board first, then in game. NAT OPEN? Should be.

Turn on 2nd xbox. Check NAT on dash board then in game.NAT should be OPEN on dash board and in game maybe Moderate.

Message 8 of 21
karothacker
Guide

Netduma-Fraser,

Sorry for the confusion. I have Strict NAT on my old modem/router combo. The new XR500 will not arrive till early next week.
Message 9 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Kinda jumped the gun here huh?

So to prep for your new router, you need to make sure that your ISP modem and router can be fully bridged. Or if not, that you can use the DMZ on the ISP modem/router for the XR500.

What is the Mfr and model# of this ISP modem/router combo.

You'll be in a double NAT condition when you hook it up. Or if you have external router connected now to the ISP modem. Single NAT condition is preferred for gaming.

If your only using the ISP modem currently, then it's configuration is probably causing your current STRICT NAT issues.

Message 10 of 21
karothacker
Guide

Well, I stated at the beginning that I wanted to get a head start so I can set up and configure quickly. I just now found out that the router is on back order and will not ship till the 2nd.

I also stated that I purchased a new modem, and this is to give me something better than 8x4 and to prevent Double NAT.

Also, it is not an ISP modem/router combo. I am using the Netgear C3700 (N600.) It is just outdated and giving me issues.

Thanks.

Message 11 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

The C3700 is a modem router combo by the way. So a misconfiguration here maybe at play here and reason why your not getting OPEN NAT.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/C3700.aspx

Do you have anything else connected to this modem/router? Like another router by chance?

Whats the new Mfr and model# of the new modem you purchased. I presume a stand alone modem with no router built in.

I'm waiting on my XR500. Supposed to arrive Friday

Message 12 of 21
karothacker
Guide

Yes, I am aware. I've reset it and reconfigured the settings several times with no results. Again, I'm no concerned with it because it is old and needs to be replaced. The new modem I purchased was the Netgear CM1000 to go with the new XR500.

Nothing was connected to the Modem/Router because I did not want a Double NAT.

Message 13 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, then, just making sure.

Does this modem by chance have a feature called NAT Filter/ Secure & Open? This helps on my R7800 to get OPEN NAT in game when set to Open. I don't believe this feature will be seen on the XR500.

I would wait for the CM1000 and XR500 to come in and set them up. I believe you only need IP address reservations for the game consoles. Ensure uPnP is enabled on the XR500 router then connect up one game console and check NAT. Then test the 2nd one.

Remember which ever one is turned on first, gets port 3074 and the 2nd one will get a virtual port which is ok.

You should see OPEN NAT on both dash boards.

Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Just got my XR router in house to day. You'll be happy to know that two xbox one consoles playing same game (CoD WWII) get OPEN NAT on dashboard and in game on both consoles. As long as you set NAT FILTER feature option from Secure to OPEN on the router. Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 21
karothacker
Guide

That's good to know!

Unfortunately, Best Buy has delayed my shipment and has not given me an ETA...
Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I got mine off Amazon. Quick delivery. 

Message 17 of 21
karothacker
Guide

I was just told yesterday they oversold the item and were out of stock. Took them forever to tell me, but I cancelled the order and purchased it again on Amazon. Being delivered today finally. lol

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Think you'll like it. Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 21
Lexist2112
Luminary

Your welcome Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

NO SIR, Your Welcome!!!

wrote:

Your welcome Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 21
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7