× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Why 70%

francric
Aspirant

XR500 Why 70%

Why is 70% recommended in QoS?  Why not 80% or 75%?  Why is that the magic number?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 Why 70%

We find 70% is a good balance between keeping you getting high speeds and resolving congestion. We do recommend users experiment with the percentages.
Message 2 of 18
francric
Aspirant

273/23

Message 3 of 18
francric
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies.  I'll play with the settings.  @Case850, I gave the speeds.  Did you have anything else to add?  Today they were 288 down and 16 up.

Message 4 of 18
francric
Aspirant

can't I delete a post...................

Message 5 of 18
Killhippie
Prodigy

Ask a moderator to delete it.

Message 6 of 18
francric
Aspirant

@Case850, how would I know if I am having QoS issues?  Sorry, new to this router configure stuff...................

Message 7 of 18
francric
Aspirant

@Case850, here are the results.  I was playing COD, running netflix HD on apple tv, youtube vid on 2 computers.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/35170354

anti buffer bloat set to 85% and when high priority traffic detected.  Also have a dedicated ip for my xbox.

Message 8 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd recommend doing this francric: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000074717-test-your-connection it will be a better judge of how well QoS is working for you. Then you can make tweaks to the percentages if needed.
Message 9 of 18
Killhippie
Prodigy

The XR500 uses a proprietary QoS which will operate at up to gigabit speeds, anything to do with the R7800 does not apply as that uses Qualcomm's streamboost, the XR500 does not. I have my XR500 set to kick in when it detects gaming traffic as it will limit download speeds, as upload is what is important during gaming. You may find your antibufferbloat can be set to say 90% download but 70%  upload for gaming sessions, you cant tell really unitil you saturate your network and see what works best, each line is different. For myself I find 87% down and 70% up is a good fit. Basically this router needs to be fine tuned for your line conditions, also be aware though that DSL reports ihas issues right now.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/changing-bufferbloat-results/m-p/15979...

Message 10 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Case as I've mentioned before that's incorrect, it can do QoS at the gigabit level since it utilises the power of the chip in a way that most routers do not.
Message 11 of 18
francric
Aspirant

Ok, I soon as I get a moment I'll play with my bufferbloat settings and do a test with and without a load.  Thanks everybody.

Message 12 of 18
francric
Aspirant

Here is one no load, 93 down and 74 up

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/35281113

This is load with same down and up.  Playing COD, apple tv (netflix) and youtube vid on PC

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/35283583

Do we know if this site is working correctly?

Message 13 of 18
francric
Aspirant

@Case850, @Killhippie

Here is another one with load same as above but 73 down.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/35283962

Message 14 of 18
Killhippie
Prodigy

This one is better but on upload you go to a potential 89ms that's way high. You need to play with Bufferbloat and get the best settings, that's why 70% is given as the best option to start. I would set it to "when priority traffic is detected" Then start gaming. You will see a drop in your overal speed on whatever you test, this is why in QoS you can give more to devices you want to have higher priority both for up download and upload. When you finish gaming it will go back to full speed. Can you give the result using what ever online fps you play, Fortnite/COD etc so I can see the results of the test, please remember that the DSL reports test is not that reliable as has been stated at the moment. Its better than nothing though. Akso not you wont get an A+ with antibufferbloat on, please read this from fraser and the Netduma forum.

" If DSLReports is giving you an A instead of A+ but you could get an A+ on the R1 why does this occur? Does that mean that Anti-Bufferbloat isn't working? 

"The reason you do not get an A+ is because our enterprise level deep packet inspection analyses the first few packets of the test, this means that DSLReports misreads the result of the bufferbloat test. It is not Anti-Bufferbloat not being able to get an A+, it is DSLReports misreading our DPI as bufferbloat/latency when it is not.The XR500 also has hardware accelaration which means it is a seriously beast piece of kit meaning it can do QoS at gigabit speeds easily so it has absolutely no trouble mitigating local congestion. You're getting the best QoS on the planet so nothing to worry about!

If you want to know if Anti-Bufferbloat is actually working we recommend using PingPlotter (Here's a quick guide on how to use it doing the following tests😞

• Saturate your connection as much as possible (download, stream HD videos etc), then do a PingPlotter test and see how much your ping rises.
  • Then do the same test except all you do is set Anti-Bufferbloat to 'Always' and put the sliders down to 70/70. You WILL see a substantial difference here. 

Just to reiterate, bufferbloat (lag/latency) only occurs when your connection is saturated. With Anti-Bufferbloat enabled your network is never allowed to become saturated and therefore you do not experience bufferbloat."

Message 15 of 18
francric
Aspirant

@Killhippie

The last test I did, 35283962, I was playing COD, had a netflix show running and a youtube video running. Down was 93, up was 73.  I also have  "when high priority traffic detected" checked.

Message 16 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As mentioned I recommend you use the guide I gave you to determine QoS effectiveness
Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Also you can take into consideration of what your doing. IF your the only one gaming while nobody else is online or using up bandwidth, you can leave the sliders at 99%. If you game evening and late nite and nobody else online so you can leave the sliders at 99% to get maximum performances while gaming. Now if there is others or one or two doing something, then try moving the sliders down some. 

Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7