× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 - WiFi Calling Stopped Working?

FriendOfJah
Tutor

XR500 - WiFi Calling Stopped Working?

Hi Folks,

I recently bought a new NetGear CM1150V Cable Modem and XR500 Nighthawk Router to replace my XFinity Cable Modem/Router as I was having major problems using my iPhone's (AT&T) in my home for WiFi calling in Airplane mode. In addition, I got a new iBuyPower Gaming PC with a 1000 mps LAN port and the XFinity router only had a 100 mps port (I have the Burst 350+ mps service)

I was super impressed how easy everything was to setup and install on both devices from NetGear. After completing installation and per the recommendation of the Netgear Router setup wizard I used my previous XFinity Routers SSID and password (which would make my life a lot easier). After completing the installation, I rebooted our two iPhone 6S Plus phones. They logged onto the NetGear WiFi and WiFi caling was working perfectly with the phones in Airplane mode (an AT&T technician had previosuly told us to use Airplane mode + Wifi as our cell service here is only 1 bar. This prevents the Cellular system from competing with the WiFi all the time).

Fast forward less than 24 hours. Now both iPhones in Airplane mode + Wifi cannot do WiFi calling, so my phones are worthless for making or receiving calls while we shelter in place during a pandemic. The only temporary fix that I've found so far (which is not consistent) is turning off Airplane mode and going back to Cellular Data being On with WiFi. The problem is I'm still missing calls, and if I do make a call, I cannot move anywhere else in our condominuium without potentially losing the call, which was exactly the same problem I had before with the Xfinity Modem/Router. What happened? Why did it work for the first few hours and now it doesn't? While I'm thankful that I can now get 380+ mps on my new Gaming PC, not being able to use WiFi calling on my iPhone's is a real problem.

I've seen several postings here in the Community on this topic, but no single working solution seems to have been provided by NetGear or anyone else for that matter. If I can't find a solution, I will be forced to get new iPhone's from a different carrier (we moved from CT to FL) and lose my AT&T previous company's 22% discount and have to pay more for new iPhone's. Being on social security disability now, I would have preferred not to have to go this route. Any and all recommendations and solutions would be greatly appreciated. I hope that one of the NetGear guru's also takes note of this thread with the correct expertise and can offer a working solution. Thanks in advance.

Roger

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you disable QoS from the Anti-Bufferbloat option menu please and see if that helps. Untick Disable IGMP Proxying in WAN Settings as well as ticking Disable SIP ALG.
Message 2 of 17
FriendOfJah
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Could you disable QoS from the Anti-Bufferbloat option menu please and see if that helps. Untick Disable IGMP Proxying in WAN Settings as well as ticking Disable SIP ALG.

Thanks so much for your reply on this. I greatly appreciate it. I solved my problem with WiFi calling. How you might ask? I dumped my account with AT&T. I jumped ship to an awesome 55+ plan (only available in FLorida) with Verizon! No need for WiFi calling as I have plenty of cellphone service in my h ome. Thanks anyways.

Roger

Message 3 of 17
Koz1614
Tutor

Any update on this? I recently upgraded all my networking equipment (CM1150v modem, XR500 router, EX7700 Extender). I was using WIFI calling today connected to the EX7700 and the call dropped off WIFI calling mid conversation. The call did not drop, however I saw on the iphone that the 'Sprint - Wi-Fi' was gone and only the wifi symbol showed. I rely heavily on wifi calling as well since service in my area is not great. Any update/suggestions?

Message 4 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I don't have any suggestions at the moment unfortunately but this is something we're looking into right now actually, if we can find the cause and there is a setting change that can be made to resolve it until a fix is available I will let you know.
Message 5 of 17
Koz1614
Tutor

@Netduma-Fraser Thanks for the reply. Unrelated to the wifi calling, I had one other issue today. Woke up this morning and everything was working great - phone and mac were blazing fast. About 30 min later, my father tried to connect his work computer to the XR500 - was not able to connect. I restarted my mac (which was just connected and working great)...upon restart I was not able to conect to either the EX7700 or XR500. During this time, my iphone was still working great..so I restarted the iphone - same issue..could no longer connect. It seemed like something was blocking the new/restarted devices from connecting? The internet was connected because as I stated devices were working fine until they were restarted. A full reboot of the router solved the problem for now. Any settings I should look for if this happens again?

Message 6 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I assume you have nothing setup in Content Filtering? Were you able to check if the EX had internet - if you plugged into it? If you set Static/reserved IPs for the devices in LAN Settings do you see this behavior again?
Message 7 of 17
Koz1614
Tutor

No, I have not had a chance to play with any of the features yet..just set up the XR500 on Thursday. So right now its a factory out of the box setup. EX7700 had internet at the time, but as I said it was not just the extender that I was not able to connect to. Tried going directly to the XR500 and still no luck. I guess I could try to static everything but I dont think I should have to do that...

Message 8 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I know you shouldn't have to but I feel as though it may be resolved by doing that, at least until a new firmware is available.
Message 9 of 17
Koz1614
Tutor

Ya I’ll give it a try if it resurfaces. One last question. I’m not sure if this is a known issue with the XR500 or DumaOS..I have a netgear CM1150v modem. I had to restart the modem and router today. I started by allowing the modem to fully boot without the XR500 on. When I turned on the XR500 it was not able to connect to the internet - The status light on the XR500 remained orange. It took me several tries to get it connected. Finally I did the reverse, started the router first and then started the modem. This seemed to work. The only other thing I can think of is I had my hardwired Ethernet connections connected to the XR500 when I tried to reboot. I disconnected those as well. So it was either the hardwired connections or booting up the router then the modem. I’m not sure but it seems odd..
Message 10 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's not a known issue per se but sometimes modems/routers can be finicky about which order they are rebooted in.
Message 11 of 17
nalicali
Aspirant

You have to be on guest mode for WiFi calling to work flawlessly. I’ve been working with Netgear for a year on this issue, and that’s the only fix I’ve found to work 100%.
Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure beamforming is enabled. Smart Connect can be enabled or try with out SC enabled. 

Check your ISP modem for buit in router here. Not recommended having built in router at the modem. 

Message 13 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm pretty sure we've fixed this on our end in 3.0. Sign up to the beta here so you can help us test it when available: http://www.netgearinnovation.com/dumaos-beta/index.html
Message 14 of 17
brian4n
Guide

I have been dealing with this for 3 months.  I have AT&T cell/Wifi Iphones.  I talk for 1-2 minutes and the call (My voice) disconnects.  Very frustrating when working from home.  That said I've tried the new BETA firmware from Duma and it has not fixed the issue.  I did what one user sugguested and created a speical guest network I called WiFi Calling.  It seems to have cleared the issue up.  Wanted to let everyone know for future develpment of firmware.  This issue needs to be addressed, shocked more aren't having it.  

Thanks!

Brian 

Message 15 of 17
brian4n
Guide

This seemed to have worked for me as well.  Did just your voice dissonccect for you after 1-2 minutes on a call?  I'm using AT&T for my cell/wifi service.  I named my guest network Wifi Calling and so far so good!  Thanks for saving me alot of $$$, was about to buy an ASUS.  

Brian 

Message 16 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for letting us know the workaround. Please post in the beta section as well that WiFi calling isn't working and let us know there the exact devices being used.
Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7