× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 WiFi connection problems

Axelrod360
Tutor

XR500 WiFi connection problems

I just got the XR500 last week. My problem is when I reboot my router, only about half my WiFi devices work at a time (about 10/26ish). Every once in a while I'll get lucky and they'll all work like what's happening right now. Usually it also helps when I toggle QoS for some reason.

I'm behind an AT&T modem/route but have IP passthrough turned on so it shouldn't be getting in the way anymore. I've done numerous factory resets of both my modem/router and my XR500 with different settings and order of operations. Can anyone help me figure out what to do to fix this? I'm on the latest XR500 firmware. I contacted both Netgear and AT&T support and am just waiting for Netgear to call me back hopefully today since my case was escalated.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
Axelrod360
Tutor

Re: XR500 WiFi connection problems

I found the issue... kind of. I tried various older versions of the firmware and found version 2.2.1.10 is stable. I'm going to post this problem in the NetDuma forums and see if they have any suggestions. I don't want to be running an old version of the firmware on a router I just purchased. That doesn't give me confidence for the future support.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14

All Replies
Axelrod360
Tutor

I found the issue... kind of. I tried various older versions of the firmware and found version 2.2.1.10 is stable. I'm going to post this problem in the NetDuma forums and see if they have any suggestions. I don't want to be running an old version of the firmware on a router I just purchased. That doesn't give me confidence for the future support.

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ensure the wifi on the ISP modem is fully disabled.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling Smart Connect on the router. Or enable Smart Connect if it's disabled...

@Axelrod360 wrote:

I just got the XR500 last week. My problem is when I reboot my router, only about half my WiFi devices work at a time (about 10/26ish). Every once in a while I'll get lucky and they'll all work like what's happening right now. Usually it also helps when I toggle QoS for some reason.

I'm behind an AT&T modem/route but have IP passthrough turned on so it shouldn't be getting in the way anymore. I've done numerous factory resets of both my modem/router and my XR500 with different settings and order of operations. Can anyone help me figure out what to do to fix this? I'm on the latest XR500 firmware. I contacted both Netgear and AT&T support and am just waiting for Netgear to call me back hopefully today since my case was escalated.

Message 3 of 14
Axelrod360
Tutor

The modem's WiFi is disabled, I tried mannually setting other channels on the Nighthawk, and yes I have other neighbors but it never was enough to affect the modem's WiFi which lead me to believe it's the router. On the NetDuma forum I made a post about my progress. I found that firmware version 2.2.1.10 works perfectly fine but not 2.3.2.56 so it seems to be a firmware issue. Right now I'm trying to nail down which version specifically made it stop working.

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you happen to performed a factory reset and setup from scratch after v56 was loaded? 

Message 5 of 14
Axelrod360
Tutor

Yes, every time I changed firmware I'd do a factory reset in incognito mode so cache wouldn't cause problems.

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just checking. Something you might file a support ticket for and let NG support know about this...

Message 7 of 14
Axelrod360
Tutor

How do you do that? I contacted their phone support already and updated my ticket with that info but that's all I know how to do.

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

That would be good I suppost. You can file a ticket here if you haven't already:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Thanks for letting us know about prior version info. 

Message 9 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I would suggest trying with Smart Connect disabled as this can create problems for some devices and then manually connect them to 2.4GHz or 5GHz and see if that helps.
Message 10 of 14
Axelrod360
Tutor

I tried that and it didn't help. One of the easiest ways for me to tell if it's not working is when only 7/10 of my 2.4GHz-only light switches can connect so it doesn't seem like it's 5GHz related since they don't even support 5GHz. I tried more firmware versions and was able to get 2.3.2.32 working just fine but not .40 or above.

Edit: I have dual band devices like phones having problems too, it's not limited to 2.4GHz

Message 11 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'll respond over on the Netduma forum so we're not using two topics at the same time and we can keep all the information in one.
Message 12 of 14
Axelrod360
Tutor

Alright. For anyone who still wants to follow this, here's a link to the other forum thread:
https://forum.netduma.com/topic/29186-xr500-wifi-disconnect-issues/

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation