× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 WiFi not broadcasting, slowish Ethernet speed

CM1000-XR500-GB
Aspirant

XR500 WiFi not broadcasting, slowish Ethernet speed

I have gigabit internet through Xfinity in Central Florida.
The WiFi was set up and working well enough. It stopped broadcasting in the middle of the night and disconnected from all of my connected devices. After signing into 192.168.1.1 it doesn’t appear than any settings were changed.
Prior to this we called xfinity because we were getting 450 mbps down and 40 mbps up consistently on speed test over Ethernet. We drop down to 180 mbps down 36 mbps up from time to time with very little use in our apartment. We live in a complex with a bunch of old people who I highly doubt are causing a ton of overhead. They said that maintenance was going on in my area and that was the cause, but we’ve been having the same speeds since day one. We have 3 desktops, 1 laptop, and 1 PS4 on Ethernet using an additional switch for the laptop and PS4. On WiFi we have 4 smartphones, 2 echo devices, and two smart light switches. None of which can detect the WiFi even if we manually search for it. We have unplugged the router for 30 seconds and plugged it back in but there was no change. There have also been no changes in Ethernet speed. The WiFi light on the router is completely off despite the settings being setup to display both bands. The internet and Ethernet lights are white.

Any help in figuring out what is going on would be appreciated. We all work from home and it difficult to find any time when someone won’t be affected by the internet going offline for a few minutes so a factory reset is not ideal.
Model: CM1000-1AZNAS|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: XR500 WiFi not broadcasting, slowish Ethernet speed

What version of FW is currently loaded on the router? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Power OFF The ISP modem for 30 seconds then back on then walk thru the setup wizard after doing a factory reset?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 4
CM1000-XR500-GB
Aspirant

Both the modem and the router have the most up to date firmware. Your suggestion for unplugging the modem for 30 seconds fixed the WiFi not broadcasting. As for the speed, I am not really worried about wireless speed. We have a lot of neighbors and most of the bands are full except 8 and 44. Changing to those bands makes the WiFi speeds acceptable for phone browsing and the like. We are still getting 200-600 mbps on speed test over Ethernet. I know that the equipment we have should be doing 900. All of the cables are fine all 4 computers are reporting similar numbers.
I called NetGear about this and the only idea they had for Ethernet was to contact the ISP.
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Check wired speeds directly with the PC connected behind the modem. 

Disable QoS on the XR router and reboot and speed test with a wired PC. 

The XR is capable of near 900Mbps WAN to LAN. I know my XR450 is. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7