× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Wifi Issues

SuddenLife
Star

XR500 Wifi Issues

Good morning,

I've had my XR500 for a few years now, and recently, as in the past three months or so, I've been having issues with the wifi. Any phone that's on the wifi will show connected just fine, and when doing a speedtest, shows 300mbps+ (on 5ghz, at least), but when trying to load anything that uses wifi, it takes absolutely forever.

For example, loading Hulu on mobile data, Hulu populates the shows almost instantly and works fine. On wifi, it stays at the Hulu logo and after 1-2 minutes, either finally loads or says theres a connection issue. While using Telegram, I get "Connecting . . . " until i turn wifi off and back on, and YouTube won't load at all if the wifi is on. However, if I load up fast.com or speedtest.net on chrome on my phone, I get perfectly normal speedtests (I have 1200mbps down on a wired connection).

I've factory reset the router numerous times and tried setting it up various ways and have had nothing work. This happens on almost every mobile device that's been connected to my wifi (my phone, girlfriend's phone, as well as family members that visit), leading me to believe that it's a wifi issue and not a device issue.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

What wireless devices are you using? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many

Is Smart Connect enabled or disabled? 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Also ensure 160Mhz HT is enabled as well. 

@SuddenLife wrote:

Good morning,

I've had my XR500 for a few years now, and recently, as in the past three months or so, I've been having issues with the wifi. Any phone that's on the wifi will show connected just fine, and when doing a speedtest, shows 300mbps+ (on 5ghz, at least), but when trying to load anything that uses wifi, it takes absolutely forever.

For example, loading Hulu on mobile data, Hulu populates the shows almost instantly and works fine. On wifi, it stays at the Hulu logo and after 1-2 minutes, either finally loads or says theres a connection issue. While using Telegram, I get "Connecting . . . " until i turn wifi off and back on, and YouTube won't load at all if the wifi is on. However, if I load up fast.com or speedtest.net on chrome on my phone, I get perfectly normal speedtests (I have 1200mbps down on a wired connection). I doubt that you are seeing 1200Mpbs on the down with your XR500 on a wired connection. Since the WAN and LAN ports are only rated at 1000Mpbs connection rate, you'll see around 900Mpbs and nothing over 1000Mpbs...While yes, you will see over 1000Mpbs if you wire connect a PC directly to the CM2000 modem since it has a 2.5Gb WAN port. 

I've factory reset the router numerous times and tried setting it up various ways and have had nothing work. This happens on almost every mobile device that's been connected to my wifi (my phone, girlfriend's phone, as well as family members that visit), leading me to believe that it's a wifi issue and not a device issue.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 20

All Replies
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear this, thanks for the information!

What firmware version are you currently running on the XR500?

Do you have Adblocker enabled? If so, try pausing it and see if you have the same issue.

Are you using a VPN at all? 

Are wired devices experiencing any issues like this or is it strictly limited to wired devices?

Message 2 of 20
SuddenLife
Star

Firmware is the most recent, I always keep it up to date. Not at home so I'm not sure exactly which version it is, but I know I checked within the past few weeks to make sure it was updated.

I don't have any adblocker enabled on the router itself, I don't have any VPNs enabled on the router, and all of my wired devices are getting ~800mbps average depending on the time of day, so no issues there either.

The issue seems to be strictly wireless / mobile phones. I have a smart TV and Fire Stick that both also occasionally run into issues, albeit not as often.

Message 3 of 20
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the model of your modem/router the XR is connected to? It could potentially be a DNS issue. How is the modem/router setup to allow traffic to pass straight through to the XR - modem/bridge mode, DMZ etc?
Message 4 of 20
SuddenLife
Star

I have the Nighthawk CM2000. It's set up as a modem, no DMZ.

Message 5 of 20
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay good, try changing your DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 and see if they work any better after that
Message 6 of 20
SuddenLife
Star

I'll try that this afternoon after I get home from work. Thanks for the possible solutions!

I'll post back with updates after I get to test it.

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What wireless devices are you using? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many

Is Smart Connect enabled or disabled? 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Also ensure 160Mhz HT is enabled as well. 

@SuddenLife wrote:

Good morning,

For example, loading Hulu on mobile data, Hulu populates the shows almost instantly and works fine. On wifi, it stays at the Hulu logo and after 1-2 minutes, either finally loads or says theres a connection issue. While using Telegram, I get "Connecting . . . " until i turn wifi off and back on, and YouTube won't load at all if the wifi is on. However, if I load up fast.com or speedtest.net on chrome on my phone, I get perfectly normal speedtests (I have 1200mbps down on a wired connection). I doubt that you are seeing 1200Mpbs on the down with your XR500 on a wired connection. Since the WAN and LAN ports are only rated at 1000Mpbs connection rate, you'll see around 900Mpbs and nothing over 1000Mpbs...While yes, you will see over 1000Mpbs if you wire connect a PC directly to the CM2000 modem since it has a 2.5Gb WAN port. 

Message 8 of 20
SuddenLife
Star

Ive tried every channel i believe. As far as neighbors, theres quite a few, but my internet has always been secured and none of my neighbors are on it.

Not sure about Smart Connect, so I'll have to check on that when I get off work as well. I'll report back as soon as I can check it out. 

Thanks for the input!

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have quite a few wifi neighbors, this would not be a concern about them being on your network, it would be a concern about having too much wifi noise or wifi signal interferences that can cause wifi problems. 

Message 10 of 20
SuddenLife
Star

I'm pretty sure there's around 5 wifi signals that I can pick up on my phone from my house. I only have two neighbors that are close, the rest come from across the street.

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are these neighbors using? 

Message 12 of 20
SuddenLife
Star

I have no clue lol

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I would get a wireless scanning app on a pad if you have one and see what there using. Main channels are 1, 6 and 11 on 2.4Ghz. Try to avoid using channels others are using and in close range. 5Ghz is more open channel wise. 

Also you can turn down the power output of the XR router some to help with inteference issues. 

Message 14 of 20
SuddenLife
Star

I have smartconnect on, beam forming and MIMO have also been enabled prior to these issues.

I did get to enable HT160 though.

Also I wasn't trying to say that I was getting 1200mbps download, that's just what my isp is providing, and my wired connections see 800+ average. But none of that matters too much when the issue is wifi, lol.
Message 15 of 20
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

HT160 might hinder you actually and I would normally suggest disabling Smart Connect as well. Any luck with changing the DNS?
Message 16 of 20
SuddenLife
Star

I changed the dns along with everything else stated from the other contributors. So far, so good. I'm going to wait until tomorrow to pick a response so I can make sure it's working as it should. Thanks again for the assistance!
Message 17 of 20
SuddenLife
Star

Was still a liiiiittle slow this morning but definitely faster than before and I'm happy with it. Thanks to everyone who gave potential solutions. I'm not sure which exactly fixed it because I changed so much at once, but something definitely helped, lol.

Thanks again, everyone.
Message 18 of 20
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear that, thank you for the update!
Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy.

Message 20 of 20
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7