× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 Wifi network connection issues with Apple devices

ErwinZ
Tutor

XR500 Wifi network connection issues with Apple devices

Hi All,

Ever since I have the XR500, I'm encountering Wifi connection troubles, that I never had with my previous router. We have several Apple devices (mainly Iphones and Ipads), that all show troubles in getting a Wifi connection. Often the wifi settings show the error "No Internet Connection". Sometimes it helps switching the Wifi of the Apple device off and on again. Sometimes it helps trying to connect to the Wifi network at another frequency (from 5 GHz to 2.4 GHz, or vice versa). But even when a Wifi connection has been established, it sometimes just drops, requiring to repeat the steps just mentioned.

When a device gives the "No Internet Connection" error, other devices (both wired and using Wifi) are performing fine, showing that it has nothing to do with the external internet connection.

I even tried to use a static IP on the Apple devices, in order to exclude troubles in the DHCP protocol, but that didn't remove the Wifi connection troubles.

Does anyone has a suggestion how to solve this issue?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: XR500 Wifi network connection issues with Apple devices

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

@ErwinZ wrote:

Hi All,

Ever since I have the XR500, I'm encountering Wifi connection troubles, that I never had with my previous router. We have several Apple devices (mainly Iphones and Ipads), that all show troubles in getting a Wifi connection. Often the wifi settings show the error "No Internet Connection". Sometimes it helps switching the Wifi of the Apple device off and on again. Sometimes it helps trying to connect to the Wifi network at another frequency (from 5 GHz to 2.4 GHz, or vice versa). But even when a Wifi connection has been established, it sometimes just drops, requiring to repeat the steps just mentioned.

When a device gives the "No Internet Connection" error, other devices (both wired and using Wifi) are performing fine, showing that it has nothing to do with the external internet connection.

I even tried to use a static IP on the Apple devices, in order to exclude troubles in the DHCP protocol, but that didn't remove the Wifi connection troubles.

Does anyone has a suggestion how to solve this issue?

Message 2 of 7
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Not sure if this will work, but try enabling the Guest Network and connecting your Apple devices to that instead. Worth a shot!

Message 3 of 7
ErwinZ
Tutor

Dear Furry,

Thank you for triggering me about the Wifi channels. I now noticed that auto channel selection is only possible for the 2.4 GHz bands, but not for the 5 GHz bands. In our living room we recieve more than 15 different Wifi routers and access points, so indeed the default channel 44 was in use by several others too. I now changed the channel number, and hopfully this will solve the issue.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, yes wifi interferences can be problematic. 

Keep us posted if you seen more problems. Hopefully setting something different will help here. 

@ErwinZ wrote:

Dear Furry,

Thank you for triggering me about the Wifi channels. I now noticed that auto channel selection is only possible for the 2.4 GHz bands, but not for the 5 GHz bands. In our living room we recieve more than 15 different Wifi routers and access points, so indeed the default channel 44 was in use by several others too. I now changed the channel number, and hopfully this will solve the issue.

Message 5 of 7
ErwinZ
Tutor

Gents,

Unfortunately the switch to a free 5 GHz frequency didn't solve the Wifi connection troubles. I'm using WPA2-PSK(AES), Implicit beamforming and MU-MIMO are enabled. Wifi signal strength measured with my Mac book is excelent, but still not able to reliably obtain an internet connection.

Any suggestion what I could try further? 

Message 6 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I sometimes experience this issue on my Apple devices, it has happened when I've been connected to my ISP hub as well so I believe the issues like with the devices. This guide has lots of suggestions that I suggest you try, a few can be applied to phones as well, let us know if it resolves the issue! https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/fix-wifi-problems-mac-3605043/
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7