× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Wireless Constantly Slows/Disconnects

Swordid
Star

XR500 Wireless Constantly Slows/Disconnects

I just recently replaced my Aeris DOCSIS 3.0 Modem and Asus AC66RU Router with a Netgear CM1000 and XR500 when I upgraded to Xfinity Gigabit, and so far it has been a nightmare.

Wired works fine. I am able to reliably get 980+ Mbps and low latency on my desktop and PS4 Pro that are wired into the XR500. 

Wireless has been terrible. At first I thought it was just my first gen Vizio smart TV platform/old 2.4ghz only WiFi adapter...but both a new Roku Express and my Pixel have issues on 2.4ghz or 5ghz. Sometimes it will let me get a few episodes into Netflix and other times it will drop connection after only a few seconds. Sometimes the connection comes right back and other times I have to reset the router in order to restore the internet -- though the devices will still "connect" to the router the internet will just fail to work.

I have done the following:

[Modem]

-Verified my modem's status/connection strength (all channels are locked in and around +/- 8 or 9 dbv and noise level is good

-My modem is on a direct line from the main splitter into my apartment with nothing else sharing it

-Verified my modem is running the latest firmware from Xfinity and even done a refresh and reprogram with them

[Router]

-Updated to the latest firmware

-Reset to factory settings (multiple times throughout)

-Turned off smart connect

-Turned QoS/Anti-BufferBloat to Always, Sometimes, Never

-IPV6 is OFF

-MIMO tried ON and OFF

-Tried Xfinity DNS, Cloudflare DNS, Google DNS

-Turned off 20/40mhz coexist or w/e its called

-Used Wifi analyzer and have swapped channels multiple times. 6 seems to be least congested in my area. And there is very little 5ghz at all.

I have just swapped the AC66RU back in. And unfortunately its dated processor can only handle speeds of around 450 Mbps over my wire, but I am going to test the Wifi with it to confirm its either the XR500 or a combo issue with the CM1000/XR500. If the AC66R works then I am just at a loss as to what to do? I feel like I have done everything but the Wifi simply doesn't work period.

Edit:

So the AC66 works just fine so far. No issues. Going to let it get through a movie but 30+ min in with phone on 5ghz and roku on 2.4ghz and no issues. Right before the XR500 was almost instantly stuttering or completely dropping connection every 2min and my phone was lucky to load 2-3 pages. I think at this point im going to just return the XR500 and get the Asus 1900P.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 40

Accepted Solutions
Swordid
Star

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Very sorry to hear that. I'm hoping this downtime has not affected too many people and hopefully was just a one off. I hope that you will consider the router again in future.

I hope for other people's sake it was just me, but it sounds like the system isn't passing RMA information to the warehouse at all...so I am assuming this has to be affecting more than just me. The L2 Support agent "Oliver" I spoke with Saturday still has not contacted me. I spent 2.5 hours waiting on the phone yesterday and being put on 20+ min holds constantly by support while they "looked into stuff" to walk away with the same Oliver will get back to you response. That they can't do anything on their end other than email the warehouse.

I took my XR500 back today since Best Buy had one AC3100 left. It took less time to set it up than to write this post, but the biggest fact is it works. I am capping out at around 967Mpbs compared to the 985Mpbs I was seeing on the XR500, and the interface is dated but gets the job done  -- but it works which is something my XR500 never did.

Thank you for your help Fraser. Maybe NetDuma will make its ways to Asus someday?

View solution in original post

Message 27 of 40

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you turn off WMM in Advanced Wireless Setting by any chance? If you did then you should turn that back on.

Other than that, I would make sure on QoS that you haven't severely throttled the bandwidth with Anti-Bufferbloat, sounds like you haven't given your wired speeds. So in that case I would give your wireless devices more bandwidth in Bandwidth Allocation. For troubleshooting purposes also disable Traffic Prioritization completely.

If that's all not resolved I'd recommend calling the Netgear 24/7 support number by logging in here: http://support.netgear.com/
Message 2 of 40
Swordid
Star

Thanks for the reply but I don't think either of those are the solution. I haven't touched the WMM setting so if it is On by default then it is still on. I have also tried every combination of QoS/Traffic Priority and I have made sure to assign bandwidth to both the wired and the wireless manually. I see the same behavior of the internet randomly dropping over Wifi and either resuming within a few seconds or never coming back and having to reboot the router. This also happens even if the wireless device is the ONLY device turned on and active on the network.

I went 3 hours last night with the AC66U and had no issues. 

Can one of the support mods give me a setup suggestion for all of the settings to try one last time? I feel I have messed with everything at this point but maybe I didn't adjust 2 together that could solve the issue. I am not thrilled at the prospect of having to call tech support especially if I have to fight just to get escalated to someone who might have the tech knowledge to help. As I said really disappointed in how much trouble I have had with a $300 brand new router when an almost 8 year old router (which I had to factory reset / firmware update as precaution for VPN Filter just now) setup and worked with almost no effort.

Message 3 of 40
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Your Settings sound fine to me, Netgear will be more familiar with the WiFi side of things. I've sent you a PM with a firmware that may help.
Message 4 of 40
Swordid
Star

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Your Settings sound fine to me, Netgear will be more familiar with the WiFi side of things. I've sent you a PM with a firmware that may help.

Thanks I will factory reset, update to the firmware you provided and configure some of the settings like smart connect off and give it another try. Hopefully it works, if not while I am still within the store return window I think I am going to skip dealing with RMA issue and just get a different router.

Message 5 of 40
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd recommend factory resetting after you've upgraded and then if you continue to have issues would suggest calling support. If you're within the return window then no harm doing so if it could resolve the issue.
Message 6 of 40
Swordid
Star

Did the firmware update and a factory reset. No dice. Within 2min of a show the connection dropped again and I had to restart router just to get internet back for all devices.

Default settings had QoS off with bandwidth allocation showing 33% between each of the 3 devices with overflow sharing on. WMM was ON. Traffic Priority for DumaOS games was enabled with no device added. I tried turning smart connect off as well and still no dice. Router works like a charm with wired hitting 987 Mbps but still continues to basically be a $300 switch. 

Message 7 of 40
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As suggested before, recommend calling the support number. WiFi is Netgear's domain so if anyone can resolve that issue it will be them.
Message 8 of 40
Swordid
Star

Netgear phone support is a joke. After taking the time to register device, create a support ticket, wait for over an hour even with priority queue....I get told the nighthalk divison is busy and will call me back. I get a call back to their credit within 15min...and its some tier 1 support asking me have I tried power cycling the router. What a joke. I attached detailed info including this thread to the ticket and have now explained my issue to 2 different people. Now I am on hold waiting for a 3rd person who I am sure is going to tell me to power cycle my router again.

I guess lucky for them I am home for the night and don't feel like heading out to Best Buy. First thing tomorrow this router is going back. 

*EDIT*

The RMA process is a joke as well. I have to pay to send my own router back first and then wait till mine is received, processed, and then ground ship a replacement (easily could be a 7+ days process). For a $300 router that is less than week old from purchase date and was busted out of the box. Else I can pay $30 to have them 2 day me a replacement first (if it is in stock and no guarantee its new might be refurb) and then send mine back. If the replacement is busted I can't return it to best buy and again I am stuck either waiting 7+ days or paying $30 over and over till they RMA a winner to me. Anyone else reading avoid Netgear like the plague. 

Lol on top of this RMA system went down after they billed me but before I got confirmation. Broken HTML tags on their RMA site cut off description of RMA shipping type. Confirmation emails never arrived. In the middle of finally talking to an RMA agent another tier 1 support agent calls me. What the hell is going on at their call center?

Message 9 of 40
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I will bring this up at a meeting I have with them today.
Message 10 of 40
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Swordid

Send me a PM with your case and RMA number if you have them and I can look into what is happening.

DarrenM

Message 11 of 40
Swordid
Star

K will pm the case number. Which I only have from the email when I created it since support cases aren't displaying under my account on the website.

I don't have my RMA number on me it is written down at home. I still have yet to receive any confirmation email or tracking info for my RMA. But they made sure to bill my card right away.
Message 12 of 40
Atidman
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue. I paid for next business day shipping, they billed my card right away, but I never received an email confirmation. 

Message 13 of 40
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

If anyone is seeing this issue please contact support directly and they will be able to sort this out.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 14 of 40
Swordid
Star

Well so glad I paid the $29.60 so I could not receive it after 2 days. I understand being after the cutoff so it wouldn't ship out wed, but I expected it to ship yesterday. I made sure not once but twice to verify with the agent that new XR500s were available to fill RMAs at the warehouse and was told both times that it would ship it tomorrow (thursday). 

While DarrenM and Fraser have been responsive, I have yet to receive any communication from whoever DarrenM supposedly passed my CR and RMA number and case info to. I have yet to receive any notification my RMA has been shipped or even processed beyond the fact I was charged $29.60. And since the support case page is confirmed as broken under my account I can't even check the status there. I expect this from Comcast...but shockingly they have been the easier vendor to work with in verifying my modem wasn't an issue in this whole mess. 

I am done though. At this point I want a refund for my RMA fee since it was pointless to pay $30 for overnight shipping if they can't process the order in the time frame they claim they can, and I want to finally get some communication about my actual RMA status. It has been almost exactly 48hrs since I paid for this RMA. If at 8am Central (A full 61 hours since I paid) I do not have this I am simply calling amex to flag the transaction, returning the router to best buy, and filing a complaint with BBB. I know it will literally do nothing but this thread might just stop one person from having to deal with this terrible netgear support....and that in itself is worth it to me.

Message 15 of 40
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Send me your case number and I can follow up with someone at Netgear, sorry you're having this issue.
Message 16 of 40
Swordid
Star

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Send me your case number and I can follow up with someone at Netgear, sorry you're having this issue.

I feel bad since not really your department. In another "can't believe this is real" twist I received a phone call this morning from Netgear as a followup to my advanced RMA to see if the new one fixed my problem. When I informed them not only have I not received the replacement, I have received no tracking information yet alone even confirmation it has even been processed. They tried to verify it has been processed, got quiet for a minute, blamed a system merger on making it hard to tell and then told me they would get back to me. The exact same thing I heard June 12th when I completed my RMA process and recieved no follup confirmation/tracking.

At this point I have reached out on this forum, both you and DarrenM have reach out to others on my behalf, the phone service has alledgedly reached out to the warehouse, and after my intial best buy review someone from Netgear responded asking me to reach out to netgearteam@netgear email. And going on 3 days later I have nothing except a charge to my credit card and a broken router. 

I have the router boxed up and taking it with me to work as I am quickly approaching the end of my return window for Best Buy. I am also boxing up my Netgear CM1000 modem. It has worked great but dealing with their customer support has just soured me. I will give them till end of the day since your going to try and shake some branches Fraser, but if I don't have a tracking number of the replacement and a refund to the scam of an RMA fee then I am just going to return both and get an Arris SB8200 and an Asus 1900P and call it a day.

Message 17 of 40
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've contacted one of the higher ups with your details and asked them to arrange a call back with a proper update, hopefully they do so in order for you to still stick with the XR500 for your setup.
Message 18 of 40
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The XR500 can handle QoS at gigabit speeds so there is no need to disable the QoS. Not sure where you've got that information from.

The QoS is far superior to any other router so saying if you're not a serious gamer you should return it is bad advice as it vastly improves the home network for even non gamers.

DumaOS was built from scratch with usability in mind, it is actually a lot less complex than the original Netgear software with tours and help icons for every feature on the router.
Message 19 of 40
Swordid
Star

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
The XR500 can handle QoS at gigabit speeds so there is no need to disable the QoS. Not sure where you've got that information from.

The QoS is far superior to any other router so saying if you're not a serious gamer you should return it is bad advice as it vastly improves the home network for even non gamers.

DumaOS was built from scratch with usability in mind, it is actually a lot less complex than the original Netgear software with tours and help icons for every feature on the router.

yeah I never had any issues with the QoS not being able to handle gigabit speeds with multiple wired devices....ofc I can't vouch for WiFi since it never worked. Well I came home from work and A) no new router at the door and B) yet to receive any communication from anybody as to its status. I find it hilarious I received a call this morning as a follow up to how my "new" router was doing. Even the support staff can't seem to figure out their system issues. Just going to return the XR500 and my CM1000 at this point. $600 waste of time and money dealing with Netgear. 

Message 20 of 40
Swordid
Star

QoS placebo conversation aside, the Wifi doesn't work on both 2.4 AND 5 ghz. No combo of settings/firmware/resets produced a workable connection and it was accepted by both myself and netgear that the wifi radio or some other hardware component associated with the wireless was bad and just needed to be replaced. I am beyond troubleshooting the router at this point, it was defective. And once I get a different brand (prob Asus 1900P) tomorrow I will see how QoS impacts, but likely just leave it off. 

Message 21 of 40
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Ok, sorry to hear of the hardware problems. If you do go for a full replacement let us know and we can help you here.

Message 22 of 40
Swordid
Star

@Netduma_Jack wrote:

Ok, sorry to hear of the hardware problems. If you do go for a full replacement let us know and we can help you here.

....Is this a serious reply? As in you read the whole thread and saw I am on Day 4 of trying to find out about the status of a next day RMA a paid extra for and still have yet to receive even a status update on yet alone the actual router, and thought what he needs is reassurance you all can help me configure my nonexistent replacement whenever it actually shows up?

I am hoping you just sklipped to the last few posts and didn't realize what I have been dealing with between the actual router issues and now netgear customer support. 

Message 23 of 40
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I have got a reply back, L2 support team is working with you and the RMA center to have the RMA processed. They've recently switched to a new support tracking system and are experiencing some issues with the RMA system which is being rectified as we speak. Hence the delay.
Message 24 of 40
Swordid
Star

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
I have got a reply back, L2 support team is working with you and the RMA center to have the RMA processed. They've recently switched to a new support tracking system and are experiencing some issues with the RMA system which is being rectified as we speak. Hence the delay.

Unfortunately I have to return my XR500 and CM1000 by Thursday or else I am stuck with them. I was supposedly called by an L2 on Saturday telling me I would receive an update Monday (today) I say "supposedly" because they had no real idea about my case, got the RMA type and amount wrong, could only assure me it was being "looked into" the same thing I have heard for almost a week now though this time they also offered up they would also "look into" refunding my RMA processing fee. 

Fast forward to now and Monday is basically over and neither a call nor email. I find it even funnier that Netgear took only a few hours to respond to my Best Buy review...but has not replied back to my follow up email after days. I expressed understanding in the system issues to the L2 and agreed to not return my router/modem Saturday since I would be receiving info on Monday. That being said I made him aware of my quickly approaching return cutoff and that I could not push it back or wait for them to "look into it" past that. 

I just don't know how a core component of a customer impacting system can be down for over a week and there has been no apparent effort to work around the system to keep customer's taken care of when the outage became long term. Half the support reps aren't even aware of their own outage until they run into the issue, then again customers would likely just return their products right away if they knew an RMA wasn't likely to process without a huge headache or waiting over a week. So probably better for Netgear their support reps can't warn you of it beforehand. 

I am just going to order an Asus AC3100 and new Aeris modem from Amazon in a few hours and then actually go return my CM1000 and XR500 tomorrow afternoon. Mostly I am just disappointed in myself for not following through with the return on Saturday knowing Monday wouldn't be any different. 

Message 25 of 40
Discussion stats
  • 39 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7