× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 XB1 PS4 Pro high latency - why?

Joshuaf31
Aspirant

XR500 XB1 PS4 Pro high latency - why?

Please help!
I have purchased a decked out setup to play competitive video games as this has long been a passion of mine. Here is my setup: BenQ Zowie monitor, XB1/PS4 Pro, XR500, Cat-6 Ethernet cables, and some $50 HDMI the sales people talked us into buying. Speedtest results are 478 Down 9 -19 up.

With all of this you would figure the internet would perform at least as fast as my opponents’. But it doesn’t, Xbox reads 68-71ms latency. Also, the speed numbers fluctuate very drastically. Please tell me what I am doing wrong!
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What are speed test and latency results with a wired PC? 

How do you have QoS or Anti BufferBloat set for? 

What other devices do you have connected while testing speeds and pings? 

Message 2 of 6
Joshuaf31
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply!

I am ignorant to Firmware at the moment. After a google search, I want to say there are none downloaded on my Route? Modem? I am not sure where to look.

Modem is Spectrum e31u2v1

PC Speedtest 478 Download 23.8 Upload

Not sure where to start with ABB. Whenever I adjust it, the speeds get lower. Literally no other devices are connected. I kicked everything off.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable any QoS and ABB and test.

Selet the circle with the (i) on the upper right hand corner of the window and it should give FW version info.

Message 4 of 6
Joshuaf31
Aspirant

I restarted the router, so now all QoS & ABB settings are disabled. Firmware is V2.3.2.40
Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Firstly, I would return those HDMI cables, cheaper cables will work just the same as the more expensive ones.

I assume you're talking about the ping/speeds from the Xbox settings in which case - the ping is just to an authentication server, its just to say you're connected to XBL - this is not your game ping and so I wouldn't worry about it. Console speed tests can be inaccurate and higher speeds will not increase your quality of gameplay - games use less than 1mbps.

Adjusting QoS will lower speeds in order to prevent local congestion, its up to you if you don't want to use it - you're unlikely to get much congestion with your speeds but if you did then with the feature disabled it wouldn't help you eliminate this.

I would recommend going through our optimal settings guide here: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7