× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Xbox One Wired Disconnect After Inactivity

Jayrod215
Aspirant

XR500 Xbox One Wired Disconnect After Inactivity

I have my XR500 wired to my Xbox One, and it works fine, until I put my xbox in standby for a while, and then when I turn it back on it will be disconnected from the internet, and the only way to fix it is to power cycle the router. My setup is wall(apartment supplied ethernet) -> XR500 -> Xbox One (Original Model). My xbox is in instant on mode. When I open the device map after inactivity with the xbox on and plugged in it just says it is offline. I have the latest .40 firmware and the latest software from xbox.

Yes, I know it has been reported in the past. Yes it is still a problem. How has this not been fixed yet? Is it that strange to have an Xbox hard wired to this "gaming router" that they didn't fix it in QA and can't reproduce and fix it a year later? Is there some kind of workaround to this other than turning off instant on mode or rebooting my equipment every time I want to use it? I never had problems with my old R7000. Can anybody help?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Jay, could you try this firmware please to see if it resolves your issue: https://forum.netduma.com/topic/28523-new-xr500-hotfix-firmware-for-drop-outs/
Message 2 of 14
additude
Virtuoso

"that they didn't fix it in QA and can't reproduce and fix it a year later?" .... unfortunately... the answer is yes....

I have had similiar issues on my LAN's in the past. Mostly with Printers that I do not use frequently and when I went to print on them they were not responsive. So what I have done is, and this may apply to your case as well, is that on my home automation server I set it up to run a "Scene" every hour that pings the printers IP address. The ping is a "Keep Alive" in it's own way.

I have also setup similar pings in Visual Basic. Create a "batch" file, it's not hard to do, then let task scheduler or cron ping the device on ocassion.

It may even be possible to run a bash script in the router itself to ping the XBOX....

For something so simple, it can be created in C++ as well....

Message 3 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

additude, have you tried the hotfix firmware to see if that resolves your issue. That's a clever workaround!
Message 4 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Message 5 of 14
Jayrod215
Aspirant

I understand that that might be a workaround, but is highly inconvenient for two reasons: one, it disables automatic idle updates on the xbox, that can sometimes take hours, and two, it makes the bootup time a couple minutes instead of a couple seconds. Modifying how my clients work is not a solution to a problem with the router.

I have also installed the hotfix firmware. Waiting to see if the issue continues.

In regards to the script that pings the other hosts every so often, I don't have any hosts on my network that are on and running 24 hours a day.

Message 6 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Please keep us updated on if the hot fix firmware works, it’ll be important feedback for the developers
Message 7 of 14
Jayrod215
Aspirant

Hotfix patch did not change anything

Message 8 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You've already suffered a disconnection with the same characteristics as the issue before? Did you factory reset after the upgrade to make sure there were no legacy issues from the previous firmware?
Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Instant On is a known problem that MS has failed to address and fix. This issue is seen on NG routers along with other mfr routers. Not the first time. MS needs to fix this issue. 

Message 10 of 14
Jayrod215
Aspirant

Yes, I factory reset my router after installing the hotfix patch. Issue remains. I never had an issue with instant on on my NG R7000 I swapped out for this XR500. Its not the Xbox's fault.

Message 11 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@Jayrod215 wrote:

I never had an issue with instant on on my NG R7000 I swapped out for this XR500. Its not the Xbox's fault.

The R7000 buit-in switch was and is very basic compared to the QCA8337 which does support IEEE 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet, can go to different LPI modes for both 100BASE-Tx EEE (requires asymmetrical operation, meaning each link partner to enter the LPI
mode independent of the other partner.) and 1000BASE-T EEE requires symmetrical operation, meaning both link partners must enter the LPI mode simultaneously. That's why both ends are coming into the play.

Message 12 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try it with Instant ON disabled. 

Been many users with this issue. Only resolution is to disable instant on. This is a MS issue. I do feel that both MS and router Mfrs need to work together to figure this out. 

Message 13 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the feedback Jay I've reported that you're still having the issue after the hot fix firmware to the team. Meanwhile please see if instant on disabled works.
Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7