× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 & EX2700 compatability issue

Kemtach2999
Aspirant

XR500 & EX2700 compatability issue

DumaOS.pngHi all,

I consider myself quite tech savvy, but this is beyond me.

The backstory: I have recently moved house and I am currently trying to set up a small office in the spare room of the new property.

Issue 1 - limited wifi in said room - The router is connected in the living room downstairs, and the office is in the top room at the back of the house (Virgin router didn't reach and apparently the XR500 doesn't quite make it either. Solution Range Extender

Now in terms of accessing the Internet though the Extender I'm having no real issue (I'm connected using the extender right now) however DumaOS is showing this PC as offline ( I have completed the Netgear steps to assign one SSID to both the XR500 and N300 extender)

This is having the follow on issue of not being able to connect my printer (HP M553n) to the network - I have tried connecting the printer to the ethernet port of the N300 extender but I'm still not getting any joy.

My question:

Should the N300 be communicating with the XR500 (thus showing devices connected through it as online in DumaOS) If so, how do I get Duma to recognize those devices (currently this PC and the Printer)

Using IP Config to ping the address of the N300 returns a 0% loss rate, however pinging the address of the printer returns a 100% loss rate, implying that the printer isn't connected to the network

Any help provided would be most gratefully received

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the printer show up if directly connected to the XR router? 

The EX is an older model extender. Possible some incompatibility with new XR Wifi and connections. 

Is Smart connect enabled on the XR router? 

Message 2 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@Kemtach2999 wrote:

Issue 1 - limited wifi in said room - The router is connected in the living room downstairs, and the office is in the top room at the back of the house (Virgin router didn't reach and apparently the XR500 doesn't quite make it either. Solution Range Extender

Now in terms of accessing the Internet though the Extender I'm having no real issue (I'm connected using the extender right now) however DumaOS is showing this PC as offline ( I have completed the Netgear steps to assign one SSID to both the XR500 and N300 extender).

The "offline" PC does it show up under it's real MAC address where it was used to connect before, or the virtual MAC - as the older extenders are doing MAC translation - which is different from the effective MAC ... so I guess the DumaOS does make two devices out of it (just like any other router or the "classic" Nighthawks before).

@Kemtach2999 wrote:

Should the N300 be communicating with the XR500 (thus showing devices connected through it as online in DumaOS) If so, how do I get Duma to recognize those devices (currently this PC and the Printer)
Using IP Config to ping the address of the N300 returns a 0% loss rate, however pinging the address of the printer returns a 100% loss rate, implying that the printer isn't connected to the network

Either case, it's just L2 communication - if the PC can talk to the Internet it must be visible somehow and somewhere on the DumaOS network map, under a different MAC address (see the connected devices list on the EX2700) for the "Virtual MAC".

Similar for the printer - there is a MAC address translation - we can assume it does show up in the EX2700 connected device list (with real MAC, with Virtual MAC, and even it's IP address) - please check this.

When you say ping the printer IP - is this an IP address assigned by DHCP from the router, or was the printer configured to a static (fixed) IP address?

If it's a static IP config, is the IP address/mask/gateway in the same subnet like the XR500 LAN subnet and the connected system from where you run the test?

Message 3 of 8
Kemtach2999
Aspirant

Hi,

Thank you both for your replies.

At the moment the printer is not showing up when directly connected to the router - despite the network port showing signs of activity. (steady green light, flashing amber light) 

I've checked DumaOS and yes, smart connect is enabled.

With regard to the offline PC - somehow over night it has resolved itself and now shows under the correct address on DumaOS

As for the printer it is under a static IP address which is different to the IP addresses asigned by the router - HP address is 192.168.1.132 - all current IP addresses are 10.0.0.x

Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@Kemtach2999 wrote:

As for the printer it is under a static IP address which is different to the IP addresses asigned by the router - HP address is 192.168.1.132 - all current IP addresses are 10.0.0.x

So this is the only issue remaining when I get it right.

First think about why the XR500 has changed to the 10.0.0.x/24 network - this does happen typically under double NAT situations where e.g. a provider router does NAT and use the 192.168.1.x/24 network. Some of these (but less and less) can be re-configured to modem or transparent modes. If this is not feasible, change the HP config to DHCP, make a reservation for its IP-MAC pair on the router, and then you might consider changing it to that very same fixed IP.

Message 5 of 8
Kemtach2999
Aspirant

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the information.

I've been a little busy at work so haven't had time to try out your suggestions or reply - Sorry about that.

I have a little free time today so will review everything and see if I can get to the bottom of it all.

The big changes to this network and the old one (where the printer worked ok) that I can see is that I'm now using a Virgin cable modem connected to the XR500 and as mentioned before the EX2700 extender to get decent signal in the office room.

I'll try and get more screen shots up of as much relevant information as I can, as I have a feeling I'm not explaining this very well

Again though, thank you so much for the time and information you're providing. It's very much appreciated.

Message 6 of 8
Kemtach2999
Aspirant

Duma - IS.jpgDuma - LAN.jpgDuma - WAN.jpgDuma - WS.jpgExtender - Device.jpgExtender - General.jpg

Message 7 of 8
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

I know this isn't an optimal solution, but if you connect the extender to your Virgin hub, does the printer work? This would narrow down if the issue is with the XR500 or whether it's related something between the printer and the extender

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7