× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500

Kushy58
Apprentice

XR500 & X10 Comparison

Hi there I have upgraded from sky fibre to sky fibre pro and don’t like the sky q router, I’m looking at the XR500 and the X10 routers to swap with, I already have a new openreach modem but may swap for netgear hi-speed modem, wanted to know has any one swapped to any of these from the sky q router and what were the results or does anyone have a better suggestion for a netgear router. Everything I use is 4K such as tv, Apple TV, 4K blu-ray cinema, Xbox one x and a top of the range Alienware R17 gaming rig. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated 

Message 1 of 53

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It sounds like what I mentioned before, I don't think this will cause you any issues. If you're concerned I would recommend calling Netgear support as they should be able to help.

View solution in original post

Message 47 of 53

All Replies
Kushy58
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply, so I should look to XR500 or R7800 and discount the X10, why would I need to add a second router like the ubiquiti edge router ? I would mainly be hard wired only using my WiFi for my iPhone or iPad Pro. 

Message 2 of 53
Kushy58
Apprentice

Hi there thanks for the reply, I’m in the investigation phase and have gone back and forth between the XR500 , R8000p , R7000p and separate modem such as DM200, mainly because I want to make swapping out my sky Q router to a much better, more efficient, top end router to work with my sky fibre pro set up. And I seem to be going in circles lol. As I need the new router to work on sky’s fibre and meet my needs of better sustainable speeds LAN to LAN and WiFi second 

Message 3 of 53
Kushy58
Apprentice

Hi there, what I am looking for is a separate router and modem as they seem the better package, my broadband is sky fibre pro, the faceplate for openreach is pre-filtered, all my products are LAN to LAN and the only WiFi aspect I need is for my iPad Pro and iPhone. I want a router that can handle gaming and 4K streaming and that can be used instead of my skyQ router, I know sky make it difficult to use your own router but with wireshark i should get the relevant info for new router. Just need to make sure I get the correct router that can be used with skyQ fibre pro and meet my needs 

Message 4 of 53
BIG_DOG
Luminary

Hi.

You cannot just swap the sky q router for the xr500 or any other router for that matter. Sky encrypts your username and password so you cannot just change routers. There are videos on youtube on how to work around this and find out your sky username and passowrd. The XR500 does not handle modulation via a modem so you would have to buy a seperate modem and then a router such as the XR500.

Your other alternative and easier option is to put the sky q into modem mode and then connect the XR500 or whatever router you choose to buy.

Message 5 of 53
Kushy58
Apprentice

Hi there thanks for you detailed reply, I have researched this thoroughly and already know about having to use wireshark for the sky Q router info, I was after advice about suitable routers. On an other thread in the community I had been given the good advice of using the sky Q router in modem mode and attaching the XR500 to it that way, the same good advice you have just given me, so I do thank you for your very good reply as this is what I was after by posting here in the Netgear community 

Message 6 of 53
Kushy58
Apprentice

Hi there I was going to have BT Openreach pre filtered socket wired to Sky Q router that is working as a modem only wired to Netgear XR500 from here wired to my 4K tv, 4K Apple TV, 4K blu-ray home cinema, Xbox one X , Alienware R17 and then use the XR500’s WiFi for my iPad Pro and iPhone. Not sure why I would need edge router ? Can you explain why I would need it in the network please 

Message 7 of 53
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Assuming you have the bandwidth for 4K streaming then the XR500 will handle it no problem without the Edge router ensuring you don't have any lag with streaming or gaming.
Message 8 of 53
Kushy58
Apprentice

Hi there your a bugger just as I sign out and about to go to bed I get emails of your replies lol. So what model of edge router is it your talking about as I ordered the XR500 today. With regards to bandwidth isn’t that dictated by the standard of router used? Also on a side note I get a static IP address with my sky fibre pro. 

Message 9 of 53
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When I say bandwidth I'm referring to speeds, if you're trying to stream 4K content with 1mbps up and down it doesn't matter what router you have it just wouldn't work. If the speeds mentioned above are accurate then you can do that on the XR500 with no issues.
Message 10 of 53
BIG_DOG
Luminary

Hi.

As Fraser said if you will be fine without the edgerouter in your network chain. I have 2 edgerouters but nolonger use them and let the XR500 do all the routing. I have 17 devices linked to my XR500 and it handles them all without breaking a sweat plus the dumaOS algorythm prioritizes gaming packets over all other network traffic.    

Sorry for delay in response but you replied just as I was going to bed.

Message 11 of 53
BIG_DOG
Luminary

The router can handle that as I think Fraser has already said further up this thread. There are several youtubers who game and stream in 4K 1 of them I know on the netduma forum and uses the XR500. 

Message 12 of 53
BIG_DOG
Luminary

The firmware on the XR500 (dumaOS) is far more advanced than what you get on the netgear stock firmware. No other router gives you what dumaOS gives you with their firmware.

I own a R1 and the XR500.........You cant find any other router on the market that allows you to ban, allow, deny servers and hosts, select your location on the world map and set how far away your console/pc will connect to.

Do you own a XR500, it sounds like you do not.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/nQ0MGSC.png[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/QERikCf.png[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/WRetMdt.jpg[/img]

Message 13 of 53
BIG_DOG
Luminary

As I already stated though is that it will handle 4K streaming aswell as gaming plus all the gaming features that are not on any other console. You stated it is just a rebadged R7800 but it is more than that which is what I was saying.

Message 14 of 53
Kushy58
Apprentice

Hi there thanks for the replies from all of you just to add and maybe I forgot this,I live alone and generally use one system at a time at worst maybe two but that’s it. 

Message 15 of 53
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi Kushy58 - I'd reiterate what Big Dog and Fraser have been saying. If your main concern is QoS and streaming, the XR500 features a completely unique QoS designed for streaming / downloading without causing or having any issues. There are features built for gaming on DumaOS as well, but gaming is just one of the areas where the XR500 shines.

Either way, on your speeds and with an XR500, you should be fine to use as many or as few devices for that purpose as you'd like 🙂 please let us know your thoughts on this!

Message 16 of 53
Kushy58
Apprentice

Hi there thanks for the reply, I have read what has been posted and ordered the Netgear XR500 yesterday and it arrives tomorrow, so I may bug you again as regards turning the sky Q router to modem mode only and hints and tips on then setting up my new XR500 router. Many thanks for all the help so far 

Message 17 of 53
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear you decided to purchase Kushy, we're sure you'll love it. We'll be happy to help!
Message 18 of 53
Kushy58
Apprentice

Haha not sure how worried I should be now 

Message 19 of 53
BIG_DOG
Luminary

Don't forget you can also join us on the official netduma forum for further tips, assistance, advice or to just chat in the shoutbox at http://forum.netduma.com/

Hope you enjoy your new XR500 as much as I and many others do.

Message 20 of 53
Kushy58
Apprentice

Hi again forgot to mention I have been using a Netgear GS105UK 5 port gigabit unmanaged Ethernet switch from my sky Q router as it only has two Ethernet ports “in sky’s great wisdom” 

Message 21 of 53
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You should be fine to keep using it with the switch!
Message 22 of 53
Kushy58
Apprentice

As in from the XR500 ? 

Message 23 of 53
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes you can use it behind the XR500, would advise having the XR500 direct from the Sky hub so it can control all devices behind it.
Message 24 of 53
Kushy58
Apprentice

Just so we are clear it’s not a sky hub as that uses a separate modem. The new sky Q router has a modem built in. Set would look like 

BT Openreach pre-filtered socket > Sky Q router working solely as a modem > Netgear XR500 > Devices 

or inbetween sky Q router > network switch > Netgear XR500 

Message 25 of 53
Discussion stats
  • 52 replies
  • 32 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7